The Student Room Group

Am I overthinking?

(edited 3 years ago)
It sounds like you are over-over-over thinking!

'What if I'... types of thoughts happen all the time - things like 'what if I left the window open' or 'what if I offended that person when I said X' - and then we can sometimes keep worrying about them and end up feeling really anxious (to the extent that we might actually go back home to check if the window is open, or contact the person we think we offended - who will probably be really confused!)

But sometimes we just know in our hearts that we really did close the window, or we didn't say anything offensive - or that we are not attracted to people of the same sex. So in that case, all that worrying achieves is just making us feel bad.

So next time a thought like this pops up, don't give it any of your time. Distract yourself by doing something else. If you don't pay attention to it, your brain will soon find something else to worry about - we are really good at that!
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah I have, I’ve been constantly worried about it checking everything!
Original post by FV75
It sounds like you are over-over-over thinking!

'What if I'... types of thoughts happen all the time - things like 'what if I left the window open' or 'what if I offended that person when I said X' - and then we can sometimes keep worrying about them and end up feeling really anxious (to the extent that we might actually go back home to check if the window is open, or contact the person we think we offended - who will probably be really confused!)

But sometimes we just know in our hearts that we really did close the window, or we didn't say anything offensive - or that we are not attracted to people of the same sex. So in that case, all that worrying achieves is just making us feel bad.

So next time a thought like this pops up, don't give it any of your time. Distract yourself by doing something else. If you don't pay attention to it, your brain will soon find something else to worry about - we are really good at that!

Thank you! It’s just my mind wants me to imagine it and I freak out as I don’t want to. I do feel this is a case of proper over thinking! Well I hope it is
Thank you! I really hate these thoughts they want me to imagine it and I get so upset as it’s not what I want. I read a coming out story and freaked out and then all of a sudden my mind wanted to keep telling me to come out !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending