The Student Room Group

Cavy's Career Crawl

Scroll to see replies

:jumphug: :woo: Congratulations!
Well done that's fantastic :biggrin:
wow
Original post by CoolCavy
19/03/21
Promise will update properly about this whole week at the weekend but just had to post this as I'm so excited :colondollar:

I got the design job, i was told just now in a video call and had to come here to let people know :getmecoat:

Im so thrilled i cant stop smiling, thank you to everyone for your encouragement the last couple of weeks :heart:

:woo:

@Muttley79 @04MR17 @CheeseIsVeg @BlinkyBill @furryface12 @Sammylou40 @Gothic Kitten @CrazyKittenLady @Jack22031994 @The_Lonely_Goatherd @Pathway @CatusStarbright @Andrew97 @Lemur14 @shadowdweller @BurstingBubbles

Ah well done! :h: :woo:
19/03/21
Hi everyone, this is the unabridged version of post 355 :lol:

So on monday I had my interview in the afternoon (was a very long day as i started work at 6am :colondollar: ), the week before my manager had helped me print out all of my design stuff from uni (:adore: ) I appreciated this a lot because laser jet printers like the ones we have at work make the work look a lot more impressive than inkjet and every little helps. I was meant to have a practice interview with the person from HR who had been emailing me about my application but she had a surprise meeting so it was rescheduled for thursday but via a phone call since i was off on annual leave on thursday and friday. She just gave me some tips and told me that my CV was great and just to memorise some of those sections.
I used the weekend to get as prepared as i could be and then monday rolled around :afraid:
It didnt help matters that i managed to spill varnish on my favourite interview shirt, i stupidly put the varnish i use to coat wooden hamster toys onto my clothes pile and it leaked. I didnt know how to fix this situation as nail polish remover hadnt removed it completely.
I took it with me on monday with the intention of getting one of my friends to sew down the collar over the splat but then it occurred to me to dab some of the stuff us inspectors use to remove glue off of products onto my shirt. Took a bit of scrubbing with the paintbrush but amazingly it all came off.
After my shift was done i went into the canteen toilet to get changed and freshen myself up a little. I hang around until everyone else had gone home so noone saw me going into reception.
The person in reception was someone i didnt know and i dont think she was entirely convinced i actually worked there :laugh: I felt nervous about the interview so i probably looked suspicious plus i wasnt in uniform
Anyway the interviewers came to collect me about 10 minutes before i was due to go in. I wont go through the entire interview but basically i was a bit nervous for the first couple of minutes (I came across a bit breathless?) but i just switched in my head and remembered everything people had said to me. I switched on my confident head and composed myself.
They were really nice to be fair, it felt quite casual and informal and that helped me to relax. It also helped when they got into the questions because i like knew the answers. But more than just memorisation i answered the organically because my answers were genuine and truthful. I just drew on everything i had done at uni and at the company and that alone equipped me to answer whatever they asked.
I did get a dry throat in the middle but they let me have some water from my bottle :colondollar:
To be honest i just took the attitude of 'I'm going in there to show off all my hard work' I felt really arrogant talking about stuff i had done and how much i could do and everything.
I asked if it was a problem that i havent used that specific software before and they said no as full training is given. I've researched it and because its a 2D software theoretically it should be far easier to pick up than things like solidworks as you are totally removing that Z axis which causes so many friggin problems :indiff:
I think something which really helped was the fact i graduated in the pandemic. They were really keen on solving problems and so i gave examples of not just design problems but the curveball of the pandemic problem which closed everything. I had to think on my feet and adapt in order to complete my work under the circumstances. I think they were placing more of an emphasis on the mindset than your exact experience although obviously all my experience obviously helped.
I showed them all my uni work and my work journal as well, i think it was good to show my journal as not only did it have the product sketches i do when im inspecting things but also it shows how methodical i am. They were asking things about how i would split up my time when doing a brief and stuff like that, its all stuff i did at uni and could show evidence for. I threw in about gantt charts as well as we have had to make those ever since A-level.
I also talked about volunteering on here and how i work with other people on the team, i said ive led projects and stuff.
Then they just asked admin questions like did i have a passport (you can go abroad apparently to meet clients which is exciting :ninja: ) etc.
In total it lasted an hour and 10 minutes, mainly because i just kept showing them different things that i had brought in as evidence of what i was saying. Since they were all print outs apart from my work journal i asked them if they wanted to keep them to look over properly. They seemed to really like my technical research report as you do a lot of that in the role. I got a first on that module so i feel fairly confident. I'm quite an eloquent writer inrl (even if that doesnt come across on my blog :colondollar:) and have had loads of practise in writing whether that was history A-level or writing reports at uni.
So yeh i came out pretty happy with myself, i was worried i had come across as arrogant but my arrogant is probably just everyone else's confident.
They said i would hear back within two weeks so to be honest i had tried to put it to the back of my mind and just crack on as usual. I wasnt expecting to hear anything so soon but today my manager called me in to the meeting room.
I honestly thought i was in trouble because she didnt give anything away as to why i was there.
I quickly knew it was about the job as she was on a video call to the HR person. The HR person led with 'i've got some disappointing news....

....for your manager because she's going to lose you'

I almost had a heart attack when she said disappointing :lol: i was preparing myself to feel really disappointed but when she said that i just could not stop smiling :colondollar:
The only slight negative was the fact i cant start for about a month as they need to train up a new inspector but i understand that and was expecting something like that so i'm not too concerned. I'm sure the time will go past quickly. The actual start date still needs to be formalised with management but it will likely be the 20something of april.
They both said the job is mine and they cant like take it off me, its just a matter of getting someone to fill my position. God help them if i have to train them :getmecoat: i probably know more than i think i do but i dont think im in a position to train anyone lol. Will see what happens anyway, probably wont come to that.
After i got the news me and my manager told my group leader who then told the entire world it would seem :lol: I had people coming up to me congratualting me. A high up manager who has guinea pigs (thus we bonded quickly when i joined) came down to see me as he had heard about it, he said he had a rubbish day yesterday but when he found out he couldnt stop smiling. The HR person said the same thing, apparently she couldnt sleep last night as she was so excited to tell me.
Obviously im going to get the piss taken out of me gently by my coworkers because i'm going over to the 'dark side' i.e officey people :tongue: but i can take that.
Before i left at the end of the day my manager called me into the office to complete my probation so i'm officially signed off as a proper employee of the company. As usual she wrote me a lovely report and even put on it that she wishes me the best in my design position.
Because i was in the office then everyone in the office found out from my manager and the lovely person who deals with all the paperwork we have to put in as inspectors made me laugh as she was like 'YESS YOU GO QUEEN' :lol:
I'm so excited honestly i feel like things are starting to come together, this is what ive worked so hard for even before i was at university.

In slightly less good news my wisdom teeth have been really really hurting this week, i was actually proud of myself for getting through the interview in the first place as my mouth was really hurting. They have been growing for ages and have hurt in the past and resolved but now they are properly coming through the gums and its been an awful teething pain. At this moment in time my jaw is so achy and i cant open it properly. I have an appointment with the dentist next friday so will see what he says.

Original post by Andrew97
Whoop whoop so proud get in!!!

Original post by 04MR17

Original post by PhoenixFortune
Yey! What brilliant news Cavy! I bet you're chuffed to bits, and rightly so! :crown:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Fab stuff Cavy, well done :king1:

Original post by CatusStarbright
Yessss! I knew you could do it!

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Congratulations!! Amazing :woo:

Original post by furryface12
Yayyy, knew you would! When do you start?!

Original post by Gothic Kitten
What a total superstar you are!
Awesome news. Congratulations :hugs:

Original post by Muttley79
Wow Cavy - I'm so delighted for you - you deserve this!!

:party::party::party:

Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Congrats on the job offer, Cavy! :smile:

Original post by Pathway
:jumphug: :woo: Congratulations!

Original post by Interrobang
Well done that's fantastic :biggrin:

Original post by tinygirl96
wow

Original post by Jack22031994
Ah well done! :h: :woo:

Thank you so much everyone :heart:
(edited 3 years ago)
Brilliant! This is the best news I've heard in a long time - you so deserve this :hugs:
Amazing news, so happy for you!! :biggrin:

Apparently eating ice cream is a good remedy for ache-y wisdom teeth :ninja: :innocent:
Really pleased that you were able to go in there with fewer inhibitions than normal and really sell yourself to the max - I think it's fair to say that a few years ago, you may not have managed that as easily. Shows how far you've come. Well done :biggrin:
Haven't been around for a while but saw this and had to stop by a give my congratulations for the amazing news :woo: Well done ^^
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you everyone :grouphugs:

I've been looking at suits online, I dont want to be too uh 'butch' :colondollar: cos although i would be totally happy in a waistcoat and tie i dont want to scare away clients :lol:

I dont really understand what smart casual is, im sort of an all or nothing person so this middle area is a bit tricky but im sure i'll work it out. I suppose starting later next month gives me time to sort this kind of stuff out. When the shops reopen on the 12th i could set aside a weekend to go and look for stuff. It will be nice to be smart again like in sixth form, i missed that at university. I love formal cloths, could get some nice aftershave to put on and everything eek im so excited
How exciting :smile:

I interpret smart casual for work as a jacket and contrasting trousers [plain jacket and maybe pinstripe trousers] - more formal would be a trouser suit. Flat comfy shoes are fine if not trainer-type.

What are others wearing? Charity shops often have decnt blouses/tops and I've found good jackets too.
Original post by CoolCavy
Thank you everyone :grouphugs:

I've been looking at suits online, I dont want to be too uh 'butch' :colondollar: cos although i would be totally happy in a waistcoat and tie i dont want to scare away clients :lol:

I dont really understand what smart casual is, im sort of an all or nothing person so this middle area is a bit tricky but im sure i'll work it out. I suppose starting later next month gives me time to sort this kind of stuff out. When the shops reopen on the 12th i could set aside a weekend to go and look for stuff. It will be nice to be smart again like in sixth form, i missed that at university. I love formal cloths, could get some nice aftershave to put on and everything eek im so excited

I would class what I wear to work (when I go!) as smart casual - smart suit type trousers, top (plain or patterned - not writing) and a cardigan. You could see what others wear too- don't spend too much before you know
Original post by Muttley79
How exciting :smile:

I interpret smart casual for work as a jacket and contrasting trousers [plain jacket and maybe pinstripe trousers] - more formal would be a trouser suit. Flat comfy shoes are fine if not trainer-type.

What are others wearing? Charity shops often have decnt blouses/tops and I've found good jackets too.

Original post by Interrobang
I would class what I wear to work (when I go!) as smart casual - smart suit type trousers, top (plain or patterned - not writing) and a cardigan. You could see what others wear too- don't spend too much before you know

Thank you both :hugs: yes that's true i must not get carried away before i know :colondollar:

A lot of the men in the office wear jumper type things but as i have an internal temperature of molten lead ideally i would wear something thinner and with short sleeves (unless im meeting clients then i would need long sleeves)
I think you will find that your time in your current rol will prove to be very useful - you have a good understanding of the whole process.

I hope your week goes well :hugs:
Congrats on your TSR Award nominations, Cavy :h:

I've always taken smart casual to mean smart-looking. So no ripped jeans, no trainers, no hot pants - that kinda thing :colondollar:

I've always taken smart casual to mean smart-looking. So no ripped jeans, no trainers, no hot pants- that kinda thing :colondollar:
So sad :emo:

I've always taken smart casual to mean smart-looking. So no ripped jeans, no trainers, no hot pants - that kinda thing :colondollar:
So sad, I bought them especially. :emo:
Original post by 04MR17

:console:

:teehee:
Original post by 04MR17

Maybe you could wear them on INSET day or for an after school sport session? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending