The Student Room Group

Cavy's Career Crawl

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't sound ancient at all, I hate the new changes to the site! :security:

Sorry to hear about the blood test palaver, that sounds so frustrating :s-smilie: Hope things get moving on that front soon. Well done for taking things in your stride and not letting the hiccups throw you too much. It certainly is frustrating but you're dealing with it better than I would :colondollar:

Persephone and Pals say Happy Pancake Day to you :h:
29/02/24
Hi everyone, thank you all as ever for your lovely replies :heart:
I am pleased to report that I have now 100% completed all my medical side quests :crown: they did the correct blood tests at the correct place and providing they don't lose them or something that is everything I have to do done. Even though the three attempts thing for the bloods was frustrating I don't think it's really delayed my overall results too much (hopefully) as the MRI results hadn't come in yet (the CT has) last time I spoke to the endocrinology receptionist so hopefully the bloods will have only put it back by like a week or so.

I'm going to give them maybe a week and if I hear nothing I will give them a ring. Essentially all my results are being collated and reviewed by the endocrinologist and then I will be offered an appointment to discuss it all 😬 it will also be 3 months since my original appointment at the end of March which is was when I was supposed to have a follow up for the meds etc anyway. Apparently I need urea and something else screening periodically for being on spirolactone so I need to ask about that too at the next appointment.

I'm not really bothered about the blood results, I just really don't want tumours anywhere, I know they are benign but a pituitary one can grow into your sinus and cause vision problems and I just don't want to lose my vision. I don't know what adrenal ones can cause but I just don't want that either. PCOS is already a headache and I just don't want anything else.

I can't remember if I have mentioned it already but I've started the cabergoline now (taken it twice since it's weekly) and so far it's been okay.

I hope everyone is doing well :grouphugs: I appreciate all of you :hugs:
Thanks so much for the detailed update.

Well done for getting through the battery of tests and scans -

I really hope you get the results soon and that they are clearly explained to you :smile:

Take care
Good to hear from you! A good idea to follow up in a week's time if you haven't heard anything by then. Glad the new med is going OK so far - hope that continues to be the case :hugs: And crossing everything that there are no tumours :redface:
Reply 664
Glad you like the job.
Original post by CoolCavy
29/02/24
Hi everyone, thank you all as ever for your lovely replies :heart:
I am pleased to report that I have now 100% completed all my medical side quests :crown: they did the correct blood tests at the correct place and providing they don't lose them or something that is everything I have to do done. Even though the three attempts thing for the bloods was frustrating I don't think it's really delayed my overall results too much (hopefully) as the MRI results hadn't come in yet (the CT has) last time I spoke to the endocrinology receptionist so hopefully the bloods will have only put it back by like a week or so.

I'm going to give them maybe a week and if I hear nothing I will give them a ring. Essentially all my results are being collated and reviewed by the endocrinologist and then I will be offered an appointment to discuss it all 😬 it will also be 3 months since my original appointment at the end of March which is was when I was supposed to have a follow up for the meds etc anyway. Apparently I need urea and something else screening periodically for being on spirolactone so I need to ask about that too at the next appointment.

I'm not really bothered about the blood results, I just really don't want tumours anywhere, I know they are benign but a pituitary one can grow into your sinus and cause vision problems and I just don't want to lose my vision. I don't know what adrenal ones can cause but I just don't want that either. PCOS is already a headache and I just don't want anything else.

I can't remember if I have mentioned it already but I've started the cabergoline now (taken it twice since it's weekly) and so far it's been okay.

I hope everyone is doing well :grouphugs: I appreciate all of you :hugs:

Sending best wishes!
05/03/24

Hi everyone, thank you as always for your kind posts :heart:

Today I received a call from the endocrinologist, I was supposed to have a 3 months follow up appointment for the medication and I presumed also to get these results but I think she wanted to phone me first because apparently there is a bit of a backlog. I feel bad as I feel like I've harassed her receptionist (I've rang about once every two weeks but it's because it's been so confusing with these bloods that I have wanted to make sure I'm doing the right things :redface:).

Anyway she went through the MRI and CT results, essentially I don't have a pituitary tumour :woo: however I do have a small mass on my left adrenal gland. I don't know whether I'm supposed to be worried about this or not but she didn't seem too worried about it, from what I remember her saying (I was trying to take it all in but it's hard over the phone sometimes) she said she just wanted to monitor it to see if it grows and also she wants to give me a steroid then do a repeat blood test the next morning. Having googled it the steroid test is used to see if the cortisol can be suppressed but my first cortisol test back in December was very low and then the one I had done last week was apparently okay so I'm confused as to why I need a test that is for high cortisol. I also feel confused because if this tumour is vibing on my adrenal glands then wouldn't I have excess cortisol not low? Also if there is nothing in my pituitary gland why is my prolactin so high and has been high for a decent while? Maybe it's just my ovaries being their usual defective selves I don't know.
Apparently I need to pick up this steroid prescription from the hospital pharmacy (open 9 until 5 so I will need my parent to do it) and then once I have received my blood test letter (de ja vu) in the post I can go and get it done. Given it's like a two week wait for these bloods I have pre-booked it online and then I will just cancel it if Royal Mail doesn't deliver it by then.

She did mention a follow up appointment I'm not sure when that will be though, she also asked me about how I'm finding the Metformin and Spirolactone. She said I can stop the cabergoline which is a bit of a relief really.

I feel like now having sat on it for a few hours that I have more questions, I don't want to phone up her poor secretary again though so I will wait and see if I get a letter in the post I guess.

I am pleased anyway that it's in my abdomen not my head, my logic being that it's easier to remove down there if it need removing. She said it's small for now (5mm) so hopefully it just stays chilling there and doesn't do anything else. It's hard having PCOS with stuff like this because a lot of the symptoms overlap so it's hard to know what is related to what.

I hope everyone is doing well :heart: still loads of winter bugs flying around despite it being spring soon :colonhash:
Thanks for the update Cavy.

What great news that you don't have a pituitary tumour :grouphugs:

It sounds as if they are just checking everything out but I hope the tests end soon and you have a definitive answer.

I'm doing OK but have a bit of a cough which is annoying.

Also getting fed up with the wet weather and all the rain which seems to choose the days I am on bus duty to be extra heavy!

Take care :hugs:
Glad the endocrinologist phoned. It can be hard to take things in over the phone. Please try not to worry about 'bugging' the receptionist - I'm sure you're nowhere near as annoying as you think/feel and in any case, it's their job to field questions/concerns from patients :smile:

Great that you can stop the cabergoline, and that you don't have a pituitary tumour :woo: Glad she didn't sound worried about the growth elsewhere.

Thanks for the update! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending