The Student Room Group

Posh accent

So I’m moving to England soon for uni, and from what I’ve read it seems that accents seem to matter quite a lot. My mum has lived in Sussex and has a very posh accent so naturally my accent is quite posh as well since I mostly speak English with her. I’ve recently met some English people who are working in my country and they all seemed quite shocked at how posh I sound and would not stop talking about it. Do you think people will perceive me as snobbish or arrogant? Should I try to change my accent to appear more approachable?

Scroll to see replies

I think people only commented on it because that’s not the type of accent they have/or are used to hearing. At university there will be people from all over the country, so accents won’t matter :smile:
Uni will be home to people from across the country and they will have different accents! Don’t worry! Nobody is going to judge you for your accent, and if they do then they’re not worth your time! I’m an English girl and accents really don’t matter to me! You’ll be fine!

Best of luck at uni :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Uni will be home to people from across the country and they will have different accents! Don’t worry! Nobody is going to judge you for your accent, and if they do then they’re not worth your time! I’m an English girl and accents really don’t matter to me! You’ll be fine!

Best of luck at uni :smile:

Thank you! That made me feel better(:
Original post by AdaMarie
Thank you! That made me feel better(:

No worries! I’m sure you’ll be fine and nobody will even notice your accent! You’ll do great at uni, have the best time :smile:
don’t change ur accent because it’s always obvious when someone does that lmao
So I’m moving to England soon for uni, and from what I’ve read it seems that accents seem to matter quite a lot.

Well that's your first mistake.

It's not 1950, you know.
Yeah , people don’t recoil in horror at my northern accent these days lol
Reply 8
Other students won't care

The only bias I have seen re accents in HE has been from academics and against common accents like mine :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by Libbyc16
don’t change ur accent because it’s always obvious when someone does that lmao

Yeah, I suppose that’s true. Thanks!
Original post by Supernova36
Yeah , people don’t recoil in horror at my northern accent these days lol

Provided other people can understand you I don't see a problem.

I even like it when someone has their own accent. It's boring when too many people sound the same.
To me an accent is an accent, I too come from a privileged back ground, and speak quite posh, but that's you, dont change for anybody, im sure you will be accepted.
At uni be prepared for some good natured mickey taking, it happened to me I was called the posh one, and other things!!!! Nothing that was in any way shape or form hurtful.
Good luck. Xx
Original post by Karisa96
To me an accent is an accent, I too come from a privileged back ground, and speak quite posh, but that's you, dont change for anybody, im sure you will be accepted.
At uni be prepared for some good natured mickey taking, it happened to me I was called the posh one, and other things!!!! Nothing that was in any way shape or form hurtful.
Good luck. Xx

Apparently, I sound like Prince Harry so I empathise with this. It's even worse now, given that Prince Harry is entirely persona non grata.
Original post by Reality Check
Apparently, I sound like Prince Harry so I empathise with this. It's even worse now, given that Prince Harry is entirely persona non grata.

Yes Reality Check, I had heard that you sound like royalty SIR!!!!! X
Yes Reality Check, I had heard that you sound like royalty SIR!!!!! X

Arise, Lady Karisa :laugh:

And, just to show how tragic I am, I went through a protracted period in my teens and early twenties of attempting to erase my accent entirely and sound like Danny Dyer. We call them the Ritchie Years. To be fair, it was my mates as much as it was me, but we must have sounded like a load of tits, frankly.

I can still do a passable 'up the old apples and pears' impression though. Geezer :rofl:
Reply 15
You know society is a mess when people sneer at people with a posh accent and people who come across as very well spoken.
Yet we look upto people and glorify roadman speech and people who use words such as 'fam', 'blud' and 'init'.
I'm of an Asian background and was called a 'mini prince harry' because I speak well

Be proud of having a posh accent and being well spoken.
(edited 3 years ago)
So I’m moving to England soon for uni, and from what I’ve read it seems that accents seem to matter quite a lot. My mum has lived in Sussex and has a very posh accent so naturally my accent is quite posh as well since I mostly speak English with her. I’ve recently met some English people who are working in my country and they all seemed quite shocked at how posh I sound and would not stop talking about it. Do you think people will perceive me as snobbish or arrogant? Should I try to change my accent to appear more approachable?

most posh people deliberately try to sound like extras from Eastenders when they go to yoony.
Original post by Reality Check
Arise, Lady Karisa :laugh:

And, just to show how tragic I am, I went through a protracted period in my teens and early twenties of attempting to erase my accent entirely and sound like Danny Dyer. We call them the Ritchie Years. To be fair, it was my mates as much as it was me, but we must have sounded like a load of tits, frankly.

I can still do a passable 'up the old apples and pears' impression though. Geezer :rofl:

Sounds frightfully good lol, I do enjoy your interaction, and your posts on this site. X
Sounds frightfully good lol, I do enjoy your interaction, and your posts on this site. X

:smile: thank you. The feeling is very much mutual.
Original post by tan030
You know society is a mess when people sneer at people with a posh accent and people who come across as very well spoken.
Yet we look upto people and glorify roadman speech and people who use words such as 'fam', 'blud' and 'init'.
I'm of an Asian background and was called a 'mini prince harry' because I speak well

Be proud of having a posh accent and being well spoken.

Given Prince Harry's previous nicknames for people of Asian heritage, I really don't think that's awfully appropriate :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest