The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Road rage.

That's what happens to chavs who try to cut me up.
Reply 41
01zaporozhets
Road rage.

That's what happens to chavs who try to cut me up.

Thats what happens to some of the people I pick up of the street with a spatula...well, perhaps not a spatula haha :biggrin:
Reply 42
olly_springs
Err coasting does save petrol, just stick the clutch down and watch the revs fall. It's heavenly, my eyes glaze over with pound signs.

Yes, but modern engines with ECUs cut ALL petrol going through the engine when you remove your foot from the accelerator in gear. If you put the clutch down, the ECU has to put petrol through the engine to keep it running.

If you have an old engine, before modern ECUs came into play, then you may be right. What car are we talking about?

zmaricz
all of the above....

i drive a 1972 beetle but its a bit modified... the front beam (axle) sits literally an inch off the ground so speed bumps are the bain of my life!!!

sure you'll know what i mean when i say people see an old car so presume it'll be slow - presume i'll crawl away from a roundabout so cut me up!!

(i know tofufi drives a bug too so will know what i'm on about!)

I know what ya mean :biggrin: - who needs ground clearance anyway? :tongue:

And this...

Ensures I can prevent most people from cutting me up :smile:

Probably almost double the original HP the car was built with in 1965... :smile:
Reply 43
zmaricz
all of the above....

i drive a 1972 beetle but its a bit modified... the front beam (axle) sits literally an inch off the ground so speed bumps are the bain of my life!!!

i do speed a fair bit, but the thing that winds me up is when people try to overtake me when i'm already doing the limit!! grrr!! have been known to tail such idiots just to overtake them, even if it means going "the long way round" lol :rolleyes:

sure you'll know what i mean when i say people see an old car so presume it'll be slow - presume i'll crawl away from a roundabout so cut me up!!

(i know tofufi drives a bug too so will know what i'm on about!)

lol I love the assumption old cars are slow. My Mini is faster than most modern day cars espeshially up to about 50-60mph and it corners like a....well like a Mini Cooper lol.

It's a Sport Cooper and its got a modified sport suspension so I think mines about 75mm off the floor so yea I have issues with speed bumps.
Reply 44
olly_springs
Wow, you've got 2 inch rims :confused:

errr..... nope! beetles have torsion bar suspension, works a bit differently to modern cars,

here's a very rough pic, bear in mind the body is mounted at the level of the lower beam to thats how low it sits!

i'm at work so i can only get hold of a couple of old pics... (dont give you the best idea of how low it is, the car is being driven)

thats me on the back (mate driving my car) - carpet surfing ftw!!

oh and the car is a hell of a lot tidier now! :rolleyes:
Reply 45
I'm quite partial to the odd crash or two.
Reply 46
although i hate to admit it i do get quite annoyed with learner drivers because im a speed freak wen i get in a car because i dont get to drive all that often at the moment...
cutting corners, one hand on the wheel, turning the wheel with only one hand, speeding..sooo many more...
Reply 47
zmaricz

Looks similar to how mine looked in the 90s (before I owned it!) :p: - pic doesn't show the colour similarity very well...

Is yours still the same colour? :smile:
If I'm in my father's cars, (or even my partners car these days) and bored on the dual carriageways, I'll play my own private 'games' with other drivers. xD

"Oh, oh, you wanna overtake me, huh?! Yeah well, now I'll overtake you!!!!"

.. I live a very sheltered life. XD

Also: Coasting. Particularly on a brake/clutch combo (ie I apply the clutch at the same point I apply the brake when I'm stopping in traffic).
Not using mirrors enough.
Speeding on back lanes.
Reply 49
Tofufi
Looks similar to how mine looked in the 90s (before I owned it!) :p: - pic doesn't show the colour similarity very well...

Is yours still the same colour? :smile:

Cool :smile: (i like your bug how it is now though! is it back together yet?)

Yeah it's still the same colour - Porsche Peppermint Green! :biggrin:
Reply 50
My strangest and bad habit is changing gear with my right hand sometimes, I don't know why I do it, just sort of try it, getting too angry at other drivers who tailgate me, cut me up etc as well.
I flash people who use fog lights when it isn't foggy :wink:

2ndly I undertake people who drive in the middle lane on the motorway or in the fast lane when its clear on the inside lane..that really pisses me off..why road hog???
As has already been said, with modern engines coasting does not save petrol.
Reply 53
zmaricz
Cool :smile: (i like your bug how it is now though! is it back together yet?)

Yeah it's still the same colour - Porsche Peppermint Green! :biggrin:

Nope, still in lots of little pieces!

It's had new floors, heater channels (sills) and crossmembers so far. Still needs all 4 complete outer wings replacing...

:smile:

When it's done it'll look nothing like how it did at the start of the year...
Reply 54
Tofufi
Nope, still in lots of little pieces!

It's had new floors, heater channels (sills) and crossmembers so far. Still needs all 4 complete outer wings replacing...

:smile:

When it's done it'll look nothing like how it did at the start of the year...

crikey! you're a braver man than me!

whats the plan then...?
Reply 55
zmaricz
crikey! you're a braver man than me!

whats the plan then...?

Ta :smile:

The plan is to fit these...

And

Repair all the other rust, previous bodges etc.

Make sure everything fits properly... then respray it in the original dark blue colour :smile:

Not too much left to do then :biggrin:

This is where it started...

Yes, that bit is meant to be structural metal :rolleyes:
Reply 56
Tofufi
Ta :smile:

The plan is to fit these...

And

Repair all the other rust, previous bodges etc.

Make sure everything fits properly... then respray it in the original dark blue colour :smile:

Not too much left to do then :biggrin:

This is where it started...

Yes, that bit is meant to be structural metal :rolleyes:

gotta love a bit of fresh new metal! :biggrin:

i'm hoping there's nothing lurking in mine, underneath is solid, including channels and pan etc, battery tray is starting to look a little crusty so needs some attention! other than that it seems ok *fingers crossed!*
Tofufi
Yes, but modern engines with ECUs cut ALL petrol going through the engine when you remove your foot from the accelerator in gear. If you put the clutch down, the ECU has to put petrol through the engine to keep it running.

If you have an old engine, before modern ECUs came into play, then you may be right. What car are we talking about?

Are you being serious, i thought i was saving fuel??? It's an 05 corsa twinport.
Reply 58
zmaricz
gotta love a bit of fresh new metal! :biggrin:

i'm hoping there's nothing lurking in mine, underneath is solid, including channels and pan etc, battery tray is starting to look a little crusty so needs some attention! other than that it seems ok *fingers crossed!*

Hope not, they are a pain to get right! This will be the 4th pair of channels my bug has had, judging by the previous repairs... :rolleyes:

These ones ought to last a long time though :biggrin:

olly_springs
Are you being serious, i thought i was saving fuel??? It's an 05 corsa twinport.

Yes, I am being serious - your car will use less fuel if you keep it in gear without touching the accelerator.

See here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/drive-smart.html

AA website
Coasting - does it help save fuel?

Coasting - rolling downhill or approaching a junction with the car out of gear - is inadvisable because the driver doesn't have full control of the vehicle, though it used to be quite a common practice to savefuel.

* You lose the ability to suddenly accelerate out of tricky situations.
* You lose engine braking which takes some of the load off the brakes on down hill stretches and helps to avoid brake fade - overheated brakes require harder pedal pressures to stop the vehicle.

These days, coasting is still inadvisable and changes in vehicle fuel systems mean it won't save you fuel either.

Old car with carburettor - take your foot off the accelerator pedal with the car in gear and fuel is still drawn through into the engine. Fuel savings could be made by coasting out of gear.

Modern car with electronic engine management - fuel and ignition systems are effectively combined and controlled by one Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Take your foot off the accelerator and the ECU cuts thefuel supply to the injectors anyway so there's nothing to be gained by coasting.

Modern diesel engines - these also have the ability to shut off the fuel when you take your foot off the accelerator.
Reply 59
Come on people, coasting is not practical at all! As somebody else has said, clutch -> neutral -> brake -> rest your feet.

I was taught the method of coasting at my driving school but after my dad 'reviewed' what i've learnt there all he's said was 'ok errr.... forget everything you've learnt there. now here's how it's gonna be...'

Besides, according to him it's unhealthy for the car to be keepign it on brakes with 1st gear on.

Latest

Trending

Trending