The Student Room Group

Clearing at Sheffield Hallam

I applied for clearing at Sheffield Hallam, unfortunately found my A level History certificate which states that my actual grade was an E instead of the C that I was originally sent by my school a few years back. My question is that due to the fact that I know my A levels were hindered pretty severely by the fact that I'm a legal carer for my mother, and had to stay home from school due to me caring for her, would I still be able to potentially gain a place at Sheffield Hallam if I explain the circumstances, and the fact that I've studied at the Open Uni for the past 6 months? The course I've applied for is Digital Media Production with a Foundation year, and I'm absolutely in love with the idea of doing this course as it's something that is essentially a hobby to me.
im pretty sure some University’s give lower offers if you’re a young career or been in care etc. i know this is what leeds beckett do, so i assume other universities do too. if you need any help looking feel free to pm me. hope some can help you x
If your A-level in History was a grade E then I find it hard to say that you would be accepted. However, you say that you have a C originally? If you are sure this is a mistake then you need to get in contact with the school or examination provider to send you the correct certificate.
Reply 3
Original post by UndisputedChamp
If your A-level in History was a grade E then I find it hard to say that you would be accepted. However, you say that you have a C originally? If you are sure this is a mistake then you need to get in contact with the school or examination provider to send you the correct certificate.

So the way I got my results originally was I got a letter with a piece of paper showing my 3 A level results instead of my actual certificates, the piece of paper read C (due to my coursework), but my overall grade was an E due to me either missing exams or doing poorly due to caring for my mother an insane amount during my A levels. Gonna talk to SHU tomorrow and see what they can do for me, hopefully they'll understand the situation.
Reply 4
Original post by Libbyc16
im pretty sure some University’s give lower offers if you’re a young career or been in care etc. i know this is what leeds beckett do, so i assume other universities do too. if you need any help looking feel free to pm me. hope some can help you x

Really hoping so, it's truly my dream degree in a great city, so hopefully I can get in contact with them tomorrow to try and see what the situation would be and if I have any options to study the course there.
Original post by Valkyrion
So the way I got my results originally was I got a letter with a piece of paper showing my 3 A level results instead of my actual certificates, the piece of paper read C (due to my coursework), but my overall grade was an E due to me either missing exams or doing poorly due to caring for my mother an insane amount during my A levels. Gonna talk to SHU tomorrow and see what they can do for me, hopefully they'll understand the situation.

I see. I think your best bet is waiting until results day on the 13th August and seeing if you can get in through clearing because an E in A-Levels isn't customary for Universities to accept unfortunately. You may have to accept that you'll be at the back of the queue for many universities but I hope you get in.

If you mention in your personal statement everything you've been through, I'm sure the University will take it into consideration.
Reply 6
I see. I think your best bet is waiting until results day on the 13th August and seeing if you can get in through clearing because an E in A-Levels isn't customary for Universities to accept unfortunately. You may have to accept that you'll be at the back of the queue for many universities but I hope you get in.

If you mention in your personal statement everything you've been through, I'm sure the University will take it into consideration.

I'm unfortunately not a UCAS applicant either, I've been away from school for 3 years, essentially waiting for my brother to be able to take over caring duties while I hopefully get a degree, so hopefully I'll see what happens and maybe they'll give me a chance.
I'm unfortunately not a UCAS applicant either, I've been away from school for 3 years, essentially waiting for my brother to be able to take over caring duties while I hopefully get a degree, so hopefully I'll see what happens and maybe they'll give me a chance.

If I was you I would register for UCAS right now so that you can apply for foundation courses through clearing. atleast then you have a chance to look at courses at other universities which may also take you.
Reply 8
If I was you I would register for UCAS right now so that you can apply for foundation courses through clearing. atleast then you have a chance to look at courses at other universities which may also take you.

Yeah will give it a look, only reason I went with SHU is due to the fact that they have an option where you can apply without using UCAS, and I'm going to be speaking directly to them regarding my application, so will hopefully make some ground tomorrow when explaining the situation. My dad's said that there's a reasonable chance they'll understand and let me in just due to the lack of students applying due to COVID, I just need to absolutely sell myself and make sure they understand what happened and that I'm not as awful as my grade suggests haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Really hoping so, it's truly my dream degree in a great city, so hopefully I can get in contact with them tomorrow to try and see what the situation would be and if I have any options to study the course there.

good luck with it all
Reply 10
Original post by Libbyc16
good luck with it all

Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending