The Student Room Group

Clearing with retake cancelled

Hello everyone,

I’m just writing for some advice, as clearing is coming up very soon and I would like to be fully prepared on the day.

So I was supposed to retake maths this year and because of coronavirus it’s been cancelled. But the thing is my sixth form can’t provide me with a predicted grade. Now I’m trying to apply to a better uni through clearing or adjustment and I’m not to worried about my grades but more about GCSE grade.

Would you think they would be able to take me on if I retook the exam in uni? Please any advice would be appreciated and good luck to everyone!
Original post by S1M001
Hello everyone,

I’m just writing for some advice, as clearing is coming up very soon and I would like to be fully prepared on the day.

So I was supposed to retake maths this year and because of coronavirus it’s been cancelled. But the thing is my sixth form can’t provide me with a predicted grade. Now I’m trying to apply to a better uni through clearing or adjustment and I’m not to worried about my grades but more about GCSE grade.

Would you think they would be able to take me on if I retook the exam in uni? Please any advice would be appreciated and good luck to everyone!

Its completely down to the uni.
Its not clear what level of uni you are applying for?
You also give me no information about the grade so will answer accordingly.

My understanding is most unis not only require GCSE Maths, but that you have already passed it at the time of application.
Retake chances happen twice a year.
That means in sixth form you have four chances to sit, in your case 3 and the 4th was corona virused. Chance 3 is compromised slightly because you will have sat the exam but wont have the result by the time of application. You can get round it in some cases.
Chance 4 (the one your are talking about would not have the results reported till August and after A levels, so clearing would have been open for a week or so.

I suggest you id your target unis and talk to them now as to whether they will let you join without GCSE Maths. It also helps if it is non relevant. I expect some lower unis may, but higher unis will say no because you had 3 chances since the original sit to take and pass. It may help if you have really high A levels and some reason as to why you hadnt resat GCSE.
Unis are meant to have been sympathetic to private candidates without predicted grades, but have got the feeling they arent interested. All you can do is try now to see who may be amenable and dont see any reason why you cant start contacting now.
You dont provide enough information but here is the general position.

If you dont meet the Maths GCSE requirement you wont get in through clearing or otherwise. Nobody can tell whether a university will act differently this year but I suspect they wont.

Maths grade C is a requirement for most universities although I do know someone who got offers from Exeter, Kings, Kent, Oxford Brooks and I think Portsmouth for History a few years ago.

For many courses eg Computer Science, Economics and Psychology universities require higher than grade C or 4 in Maths. If you are looking at this kind of course check out Kent and Aberystwyth who usually require grade C or 4 as I think do East Anglia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending