The Student Room Group

Ashamed to be Christian?

Hey,

This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but recently I've been thinking about my faith. I personally feel that God exists and basically believe strongly in the "outline" of Christianity, in the sense that we are encouraged to love and worship and follow the Commandments etc etc. However, lots of people at my school r e a l l y hate Christianity, and I know for a fact that this isn't confined to my school and is pretty much everywhere now. I think that lots of religious people are judged for believing what they believe in, and it's made it difficult for me. I'm studying religious studies, and in the debates we have, no one seems to take my seriously no matter how critical/unbiased I try to be, and I understand that even in this thread I'll probably get hate.
Why do homophobic, trans-phobic, racist, close-minded Christians always get the loudest voices to speak and why do they get the chance to put push to the front and "represent" our religion?

I don't really care to label my religion, because I don't think it really matters, what does matter is what I believe and what I do about it. I've grown up in a Catholic family, but the amount of hatred the Catholic community seems to promote and the amount of judgement I get for saying I'm Catholic has made me completely stop identifying with it.

I want to be my own person and not stand with idiots who give us a horrible reputation, but I don't want to let go of my religion. Does this even make sense? Any advice on how I can go about this?

Have a good day :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm a muslim but I'm proud of my religion.Yes we have bad representitives and I tottaly dont believe in terrorism and parts of the quaran e taken out of context but u know what?there are always gonna be haters
Hello. I am a Catholic. It's not the religion, or any religion that's the problem. But some of the PEOPLE who claim to practise that religion. The RELIGION isn't filled with sin. But people are.
Original post by markova21
Hello. I am a Catholic. It's not the religion, or any religion that's the problem. But some of the PEOPLE who claim to practise that religion. The RELIGION isn't filled with sin. But people are.

prsom x
so true
Reply 4
Original post by Dododododo
Hey,

This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but recently I've been thinking about my faith. I personally feel that God exists and basically believe strongly in the "outline" of Christianity, in the sense that we are encouraged to love and worship and follow the Commandments etc etc. However, lots of people at my school r e a l l y hate Christianity, and I know for a fact that this isn't confined to my school and is pretty much everywhere now. I think that lots of religious people are judged for believing what they believe in, and it's made it difficult for me. I'm studying religious studies, and in the debates we have, no one seems to take my seriously no matter how critical/unbiased I try to be, and I understand that even in this thread I'll probably get hate.
Why do homophobic, trans-phobic, racist, close-minded Christians always get the loudest voices to speak and why do they get the chance to put push to the front and "represent" our religion?

I don't really care to label my religion, because I don't think it really matters, what does matter is what I believe and what I do about it. I've grown up in a Catholic family, but the amount of hatred the Catholic community seems to promote and the amount of judgement I get for saying I'm Catholic has made me completely stop identifying with it.

I want to be my own person and not stand with idiots who give us a horrible reputation, but I don't want to let go of my religion. Does this even make sense? Any advice on how I can go about this?

This world is WORDLY and God isn’t. Since Christians believe in God, most people in this world are against our religion and what we believe in. Trying not to do worldly things will allow us to be awarded when we die. As a Christian, I can admit it’s HARD and ngl I had doubts being a Christian since I wanted to “fit” in. I still do worldly things but corona allowed me to know God more since I HATED going to church and praying and I also changed most of my ways in some aspects x
As a Muslim, I completely get where you’re coming from, the media/people are telling me everyday that I’m terrorist and my religion oppressive to women and backwards. For some time, I dealt with the same issues you mentioned - while I didn’t feel ashamed of my religion - I did find myself distancing my self from Islam in order to feel more “accepted” but that didn’t work. Why? Because the type of people who judge others based on their religious beliefs won’t just start being nice once you leave/distance yourself from your religion. They’ll just find something else to judge you for. So the only thing you can do is the one thing that will annoy them the most. Just be who you are unapologetically. Their issue with you being a catholic is exactly that, their issue.

In religious studies I’d say that no matter what you’re debating always remain calm, some people are waiting for you to lose your temper or get annoyed. It’s exactly what they want.

And thanks 😊 have a lovely day.
The RELIGION isn't filled with sin. But people are.

people would contend that when asked about acceptance of gays, for example.
In my experience the only people who get judged or treated any differently are those who preach at others or try to ram their beliefs down other people's throats. I don't believe, but I would never try to come to you and persuade you to my way of thinking - just as I would expect you to respect that I don't have your beliefs.
Hey,

Can I pm you about this?
Reply 9
Hey,

honestly, look into islam. I'm muslim and I'd NEVER convert. I'm so happy and am able to argue my beliefs. if you want more help- pm??
Original post by immanueligwe151
Can I pm you about this?

of course

This exactly ...

however doctrinally there are issues with what the Romoan Catholic church preaches , it is the way in which people choose to impose on others and in the case of RC church in particular have supported the church hierarchy in it's cover ups of abuse and criminality among among the priesthood
Original post by Chocolatecakexx
I'm a muslim but I'm proud of my religion.Yes we have bad representitives and I tottaly dont believe in terrorism and parts of the quaran e taken out of context but u know what?there are always gonna be haters

That's basically exactly my thoughts as well, and yes, good point. Just gotta accept it because not everyone can love us.

EXACTLY! I wish more people would think about religion like this, and it's something I want to talk about during my religious study classes.
Original post by jenniifer_
This world is WORDLY and God isn’t. Since Christians believe in God, most people in this world are against our religion and what we believe in. Trying not to do worldly things will allow us to be awarded when we die. As a Christian, I can admit it’s HARD and ngl I had doubts being a Christian since I wanted to “fit” in. I still do worldly things but corona allowed me to know God more since I HATED going to church and praying and I also changed most of my ways in some aspects x

I agree. I think the worldly vs not worldly aspect of Christianity or any religion makes it an easy target, but you've made a good point about wanting to fit in. It's something I was trying to do subconsciously. And yes, during lockdown I've managed to join the Bible Study group at my school (which consists of two people lmao). Thanks for the insight xx
Original post by bimbibap
As a Muslim, I completely get where you’re coming from, the media/people are telling me everyday that I’m terrorist and my religion oppressive to women and backwards. For some time, I dealt with the same issues you mentioned - while I didn’t feel ashamed of my religion - I did find myself distancing my self from Islam in order to feel more “accepted” but that didn’t work. Why? Because the type of people who judge others based on their religious beliefs won’t just start being nice once you leave/distance yourself from your religion. They’ll just find something else to judge you for. So the only thing you can do is the one thing that will annoy them the most. Just be who you are unapologetically. Their issue with you being a catholic is exactly that, their issue.

In religious studies I’d say that no matter what you’re debating always remain calm, some people are waiting for you to lose your temper or get annoyed. It’s exactly what they want.

And thanks 😊 have a lovely day.

Wow, that's a really good point. Thank you so much this was really helpful : )
Reply 16
Hey,

I am a Christian and i am not ashamed. people tend to disregard our beliefs or make them seem false, but we need to stand firm. Pray to God for guidance and discernment, He will surely answer you. God Bless truly. It is our duty to spread the Gospel and fight the good fight of faith, let's keep at it! You are not alone!
Original post by yzanne
people would contend that when asked about acceptance of gays, for example.

That's true, although personally I believe that that's another thing constructed by people (aha this is so controversial I probably shouldn't touch on this but hell).
I don't know, these are the things I've been really thinking about recently.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
In my experience the only people who get judged or treated any differently are those who preach at others or try to ram their beliefs down other people's throats. I don't believe, but I would never try to come to you and persuade you to my way of thinking - just as I would expect you to respect that I don't have your beliefs.

I completely get you, although I have to say that that's not the case for me. I loveeee RS and honestly one of the reasons I'm taking it is because I've been taught religion (aside from my parents) in a rather close-minded way, or as you say, to "ram my beliefs down other people's throats", and I'm trying to educate myself to not do that in the future (although I'm pretty sure I don't do that now either). It's not necessarily the case of people forcing me to believe or not believe, it's just the prejudice and the disrespect honestly. When I told people I was Christian, no one would talk to me about anything because they had the stereotype that Christians have outrageously strong views on everything, etc etc. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I still think that I deserve to not have my relationships change because of my religion, you know?
Thanks for responding :smile:
I agree. I think the worldly vs not worldly aspect of Christianity or any religion makes it an easy target, but you've made a good point about wanting to fit in. It's something I was trying to do subconsciously. And yes, during lockdown I've managed to join the Bible Study group at my school (which consists of two people lmao). Thanks for the insight xx

Your welcome! Have a great summer 🤩😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending