The Student Room Group

UCAS pyschology course help

so im interested in psychology for degree. im looking at both BSc and BA.

im gearing towards counselling, clincal pyschologist, maybe social worker.
i know i need BSc for clinical jobs but i wanna know how STEM dominated it is.

i got a 6 in triple science i think and a 5 in maths. module talks a lot about statistics and data and maths stuff. can someone let me know. thanks
Original post by pysch throwaway
so im interested in psychology for degree. im looking at both BSc and BA.

im gearing towards counselling, clincal pyschologist, maybe social worker.
i know i need BSc for clinical jobs but i wanna know how STEM dominated it is.

i got a 6 in triple science i think and a 5 in maths. module talks a lot about statistics and data and maths stuff. can someone let me know. thanks

Moved to the psychology forum :smile:
Original post by Interrobang
Moved to the psychology forum :smile:

ty
Very STEM dominated
Social worker or counselling BPS accredited (i.e. BA over BSc) not needed from my understanding
Clin psych very much need a BSc
Original post by Noodlzzz
Very STEM dominated
Social worker or counselling BPS accredited (i.e. BA over BSc) not needed from my understanding
Clin psych very much need a BSc

im doing law history and psychololgy. no science or maths. will i struggle/is BSc really for me if im average at stem(enjoyed bio at gcse thats about it).
i find the modules that lancaster uni are doing are great.

can you go in a little depth on what statistics are, i keep seeing it in most modules
im doing law history and psychololgy. no science or maths. will i struggle/is BSc really for me if im average at stem(enjoyed bio at gcse thats about it).

can you go in a little depth on what statistics are, i keep seeing it in most modules

Most universities will ask for 2+ STEM with psych being one of those for most places
Honestly the stats is fine, it’s almost all computational as opposed to learning formulas, they teach it from complete beginner level
Honestly I think you may struggle with some aspects like neuroscience if you’re not too STEM competent, but again they teach from a level playing field!

i did psychology, sociology + history at a level and i do BSc Psychology. honestly, it’s fine. they go over everything in first year that you did at a level in terms of the science/maths. to be honest i think you’ll be fine. everything you need to know they will teach you. just work hard!

Quick Reply

Latest