The Student Room Group

Your opinion - takes 5 seconds

this is part of my medical personal statement. Which one of the two sounds better?

1) During my voluntary work at Stepping Hill hospital and a nursing home I got to experience challenging things, from talking to children who have seen their double-amputee father for the first time to helping feed a dementia sufferer who is physically unable to feed herself. I never imagined I had the capacity for such acts of self-control, patience and empathy. I have learnt that people skills, be it verbal or non-verbal, are key in the medical profession, and that medical knowledge is just part of the bigger picture.

2)I am a volunteer at a nursing home and at Stepping Hill Hospital. I have met with challenges that I never knew I had the capacity for. Feeding a dementia sufferer, physically unable to feed herself, demands infinite patience; while, comforting children, faced with a parent's heart wrenching double-amputation, requires resources of tact and sympathy. I have learnt that people skills, be it verbal or non-verbal, are key and that medical knowledge is part of a bigger picture.

Reply 1
This did not need a new thread. Keep it in the old one please.

Latest

Trending

Trending