The Student Room Group

✨reaching for a starinthenight:a multiyear gyg✨

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e1alop123
are you doing a level work for the sciences or just going over some gcse content?

A little bit of both when I feel like it
update -25/6/21
okay so i havent done one in a really long time so...
ive started on biology quizlets my first set has 116 cards so im like damn this is gonna take a long time (i have 24 more to do like wth)
couple of other things so this saturday i got a place at the get into medicine conference
then the sunday i get to do free virtual work experience with medic mentor for 6 months and the first session is this sunday its one every month (ig this time my sell urself section worked) and im really excited because this is live free virtual work experience and they also offer so much support etc
its obgyn so it should be interesting!
then i signed up for a couple of ucat taster session stuff - not because i want to start preparing but mostly because i have no idea what iit is so maybe this taster sessions might enlighten me -5 sessions in total
i still do get that frightening sensation what is they go lower than my current grades but hopefully not
then umm yh i think thats it i cant think of anything else that im doing apart from waiting anxiously for season 2 of never have i ever to come out so that i can buy netflix and binge watch all of the seasohns and episodes in one go :wink: i found out yesterday that in real life paxton is 30 which makes me squemish when maitreyi is like barely 18
im also coding a little (not that its getting anywhere)
im als going to volunteer at a residential home so i had to get a basic dbs check so we got that done too
so it looks like the next couple of weeks are occupied (hopefully)
we r probably going to a beach somewhere too wo that should be nice and ofc random meet ups with friends
Update -29/06/21
Still haven't done any of the biology quizlets (24)
I did the get into medicine conference,.,went to the work experience,wrote a mini cv and also joined the medic mentor medsoc also signed up for the medic mentor £50 thing
Hqvent done the ucat sessions (5)
Urgh I'm annoyed season 2 is not coming out until July 15 IT'S TOO LONG A WAIT
don't care about my grades anymore ngl
Still haven't finished coding
Kinda feeling weird
Kinda a bit lost kinda a bit frightened about the med applications process
Apparently I should volunteer by next week
I have bridging work that is compulsory now (another school uturn)
I'm fed up with this stupid school the only reason I'm staying is cuz I kinda have no choice
Also England won this game like howwww?
Got the residential home work experience starting tomorrow too
I'm gonna try a little bit of make-up because I've never tried and I kinda want too (the most I've ever done is mascara)
But happy
Update -30/06/21
A level transition work✔
Biology and chemistry quizlets
Personal statement
Answers to interview questions
(edited 2 years ago)
all medicine application prep companies idk what to choose
Medify✔
6med
Medic mentor
Kaplan
Medic portal
Msa g
Pass medicine
Medentry
medic mind
(edited 2 years ago)
Okay so I did a mock ucat exam just to see what it was like this is what I got...
Nvr-590
Maths-549
Vr-519
Dm-566
So like 552 sjt 3
Any opinions on whether this is a good score to start off with??
Update-8/07/21
Sometimes I feel like 2\3 friends is enough and other times I'm like nah I need way more and sometimes I don't want anyone . It's weird I'm ngl. So one day I'll be like I don't want to meet up with those friends and then I'll regret the decision I made a week ago.Also I feel like I can't fully trust any of my friends. Like the prospect that one day they might turn against u or they might be using u for something or judging u behind ur back. I like friends but sometimes they become an effort to keep and that's when I start doubting whether I should keep a friendship. For example in year 7 i was best friends with 6 ppl and that number certainly dropped to 3/6 as soon as I came to year10 and now I'm in year 11 going to hear 12 wondering whether I should just roll with random ppl in sixth form because I now only think I'm compatible with 1 of them because of the different culture and backgrounds I have to the other ppl and sometimes I can't relate to what they r talking about and so I zone out and laugh occasionally. like ik some ppl get driving licenses etc at this she but that's just not a south Asian thing to do. It's also weird because ppl expect me to be a funny really sociable person but sometimes in a convo I just want to huddle in the corner of my bedroom cuz I don't get the joke or the convo. Like sure I make the jokes in Spanish doesn't mean I want to be friends with u. I just thought it was funny in the moment to say out loud and make others laugh. Betrayal is also a common theme in a friendship and I noticed that if I let betrayals slide one by one then I end up having a toxic relationship with the person in meant to be friends with and I don't notice until I'm exploding with anger about something they've done recently then notice on that's a common trend. I hate it especially when friends pretend to act so cool towards you aka they pretend not to be studying they bring out party photos from ages ago and say it was from last Friday the day be4 mocks just to make u comfortable in it mind that ur studying ur heart out but in reality so are they .then they end up with a better score than u.
My rant is over I hope someone out there will relate

I'm terms of learning stuff I need to
Write out answers for interview qs
Draft a personal statement
Do pass medicine ucat
Do tutoring chem hwk
B io quizlets
Chem quizlets

60days left *where is the time going I swear I had 90
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by starinthenight
Update-8/07/21
Sometimes I feel like 2\3 friends is enough and other times I'm like nah I need way more and sometimes I don't want anyone . It's weird I'm ngl. So one day I'll be like I don't want to meet up with those friends and then I'll regret the decision I made a week ago.Also I feel like I can't fully trust any of my friends. Like the prospect that one day they might turn against u or they might be using u for something or judging u behind ur back. I like friends but sometimes they become an effort to keep and that's when I start doubting whether I should keep a friendship. For example in year 7 i was best friends with 6 ppl and that number certainly dropped to 3/6 as soon as I came to year10 and now I'm in year 11 going to hear 12 wondering whether I should just roll with random ppl in sixth form because I now only think I'm compatible with 1 of them because of the different culture and backgrounds I have to the other ppl and sometimes I can't relate to what they r talking about and so I zone out and laugh occasionally. like ik some ppl get driving licenses etc at this she but that's just not a south Asian thing to do. It's also weird because ppl expect me to be a funny really sociable person but sometimes in a convo I just want to huddle in the corner of my bedroom cuz I don't get the joke or the convo. Like sure I make the jokes in Spanish doesn't mean I want to be friends with u. I just thought it was funny in the moment to say out loud and make others laugh. Betrayal is also a common theme in a friendship and I noticed that if I let betrayals slide one by one then I end up having a toxic relationship with the person in meant to be friends with and I don't notice until I'm exploding with anger about something they've done recently then notice on that's a common trend. I hate it especially when friends pretend to act so cool towards you aka they pretend not to be studying they bring out party photos from ages ago and say it was from last Friday the day be4 mocks just to make u comfortable in it mind that ur studying ur heart out but in reality so are they .then they end up with a better score than u.
My rant is over I hope someone out there will relate

I'm terms of learning stuff I need to
Write out answers for interview qs
Draft a personal statement
Do pass medicine ucat
Do tutoring chem hwk
B io quizlets
Chem quizlets

60days left *where is the time going I swear I had 90

Honestly where do i begin...

I can relate to everything you said and feel. The ambiguity of not knowing if your friends are truly your friends until the moment strikes where they show their true colours. If there's one thing I've learnt in year 11 it's that you can never be too careful with the way you display yourself to others. From reading your ENTIRE GYG I have gotten the sense that you take everything you do seriously and I guess getting the the grades you want whilst having that amazing work ethic just shows that you aren't the issue, THEY ARE. This clearly isn't the kinda friendship that anybody wants. My advice would be to get yourself out of that friendship because if you don't you won't be able to start your new chapter into adulthood because you'll be in this constant cycle of denial.(but if you feel like you wanna stay with them u can). Once you start sixth form everything will change because everybody changes and matures. External students will hopefully start coming and you will find your kind of people in no time. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let those people get the better of you - know your self worth because you are worth so much more than a toxic and petty friendship that doesn't make you happy. Stressing out about a friendship won't get you anywhere when it comes to society in general so don't hold back in making decisions that you feel is right and is best suited to you.

YOLO - you only live once so live your best life.
(edited 2 years ago)
Also I also want to start my personal statement as you know - you can never start to early.
I wanna be a midwife or an obstetrician (leaning towards being a midwife since there are a lot of sectors within midwifery that would cater to my interests).
Just one thing, what do I even write in my personal statement???

It's supposed to be a good 3 - 5 pages of me basically selling myself but I'm not really good at that.

Any tips?
Original post by Nadz101
Honestly where do i begin...

I can relate to everything you said and feel. The ambiguity of not knowing if your friends are truly your friends until the moment strikes where they show their true colours. If there's one thing I've learnt in year 11 it's that you can never be too careful with the way you display yourself to others. From reading your ENTIRE GYG I have gotten the sense that you take everything you do seriously and I guess getting the the grades you want whilst having that amazing work ethic just shows that you aren't the issue, THEY ARE. This clearly isn't the kinda friendship that anybody wants. My advice would be to get yourself out of that friendship because if you don't you won't be able to start your new chapter into adulthood because you'll be in this constant cycle of denial.(but if you feel like you wanna stay with them u can). Once you start sixth form everything will change because everybody changes and matures. External students will hopefully start coming and you will find your kind of people in no time. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let those people get the better of you - know your self worth because you are worth so much more than a toxic and petty friendship that doesn't make you happy. Stressing out about a friendship won't get you anywhere when it comes to society in general so don't hold back in making decisions that you feel is right and is best suited to you.

YOLO - you only live once so live your best life.

Thank you it meant so much to me that u replied I was a little lost in terms of friendship 💛I'm hoping I get a fresh start in sixth form even though majority of ppl are the same I'm So glad that u related to everything that i said :smile:)))
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Nadz101
Also I also want to start my personal statement as you know - you can never start to early.
I wanna be a midwife or an obstetrician (leaning towards being a midwife since there are a lot of sectors within midwifery that would cater to my interests).
Just one thing, what do I even write in my personal statement???

It's supposed to be a good 3 - 5 pages of me basically selling myself but I'm not really good at that.

Any tips?

Ok so I watched loads of YouTube videos ngl on personal statements
I think I would start on why u want to go for midwifery ie any experiences that have led u down this path what inspired u
That's what I'm doing for the medicine one so hopefully it will work
Update -12\07\21
Biology unit 2 module 2 quizlet
Edit :WE'VE REACHED 10000 VIEWS WTH
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 352
Have you got a job rn during the summer?
I was just wondering…
Original post by Joy65
Have you got a job rn during the summer?
I was just wondering…

nope :smile:
Update-16/07/21
Big of a rant actually but it's my fault
so basically I spent ages making module 2 flashcards for biology
BUT IT TURNS OUT THAT PMT HAS READY MADE FLASHCARDS...
TO THE EXACT SPEC
SO I WASTED SO MUCH TIME!!!
I mean I guess it's good so I don't have to make flashcards at all and I can focus on getting a scholarship with the medic mentor awards programme for this summer -£12000 which is huge!!!
Hi guys im doing a research project and would really appreciate it if you could fill it out for me
its really short and 5qs long
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfhQdVO2UciiaUa_4Qu1uwjSnvKQ11EYJJD2pFTwcWQi8MQ5g/viewform?usp=sf_link
UUpdate-24\07\21
Monday and Tuesday I was completing my extracurricular for medschool and also the scholarship
This is basically everything you need extracurricular wide to get to med ur welcome :wink: feel free to ask questions about it ik It's vague because I made it for myself
IMG_20210724_140323.jpg
Wednesday I was at the go surgery and care home and doing chem tutoring
Thursday I was at Alton towers
Friday my friend came over and then i went to another friends till about 12.20 midnight
Today I'm doing virtual work experience from 10-5 and bio tutoring by elite medics for a sample lesson
Tomoz is chem with elite medics another free sample from 10-3
Also somehow binge watched never have I ever season 2 during all of that:smile:
I want to spend a little time with my sister on Monday just to relax et c and maybe play cludo
I also made an excel spreadsheet cuz I'm an organise freak I did one for chem as well
Screenshot_20210724-141631.png
I would kinda also like to add that although I am only mainly posting academics on here does not mean I'm only doing academics rn during the summer holidays it's just because it's an academic blog :smile: and It's mainly for younger ppl who are tryna become medics too and they can see my journey (to failure) (I'm kidding) and help them because when I started gcses I was completely clueless to the medic world (and still a m sometimes)
I'm looking forward to the wiki that tsr are gonna set up too
To do list for the summer
3 500 word wider reading paras
Why a doctor 500
Part time job 500
1.1 of chem past paper questions
And bio exam questions chapter 1
Personal statement draft -yup I still haven't finished
Interview question answers Maybe
Maybe do some extra exam questions or do pmt flashcards
I think that's it :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Basically I'm tryna do what yr 12s do during the summer apart from revise yr 12 content and ucat stuff
because I don't think I'll have time to write a personal statement and look for work experience and do that as well
Next summer I can just work on editing it by getting some of my dad's friends to have a look at it
My plan for the science subjects is
Read a chapter do the pmt questions move on
(edited 2 years ago)
Just went on a holiday to Norwich it was a nice place// bear grylls adenture park the following week ifly and climbing
In terms of academics
I'm kinda nervous for my results... I hope I get an 8 for English literature just so I can say I got all 8s and 9s
Ik it's alright if I don't And it's not the end of the world but it would really open the options for me Cuz rn I feel like my grades are kinda on the bad average side of a med school applicant because of that one 7.
It's kinda making me nervous but like oh well. 😫
Rn is be happy with my current grades +8 for English literature
(edited 2 years ago)
To do list
🍉 tutor hwk✔
🍉test revision pmt
🍉asda mobile (pls don't judge its just really cheap)😂
🍉5 more paragraphs for scholarship
🍉debit card
🍉msag+6med (I've finally spent time with my parents looking at reviews etc and we figured this was the best) but I still need to buy it
🍉medical leadership programme
🍉biology chapter 1 questions pmt
🍉maths?maybe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending