The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education Question

I'm due to start my Access to HE (Science) diploma in September and things have drastically changed from what the college website states. I am now having to do 3 sciences (Chem, physics and bio) with a little bit of time for maths weekly - covering just under 18 hours (minus the Study skills and things).

Mathematics was the main reason I chose to do the access course but with only just over an hour weekly for it, I'm extremely worried it's not going to be at a higher level (which is what I need). I currently have a B grade in GCSE maths, and mathematics is what I intend to study at Uni once the access course is over.

I will be emailing the college to get 100% clarification and do intend to stay on the course regardless as I do need a-level equivalents or at least the HE diploma to get into the university I intend to go to.

My question is do I have any other options when it comes to mathematics and getting qualifications at a higher level whilst still attending the HE course?
Reply 1
caveat - I am no expert

Hi,

As someone who has recently completed an Access to HE diploma - in Sciences (Physics, Biology) and a D in maths at GCSE 16 years ago. I too know what you are feeling right now, i too required a bear minimum of Maths at B to even get a place, even now i am not too sure how i secured a place - i am assuming they took my physics (as there is math involved) as an indicator. I think you will be fine with Physics, but i am assuming it will be less credits due to having chemistry in the mix. Any math unit or Physics unit i did, apparently was all "at A-level" which - to be honest, absolutely bamboozled me when i finally got around to starting those modules as maths was never,ever a strong point. Then again, i guess it all depends on the Uni and what they determine as acceptable. I found that the whole UCAS thing wasn't really reflective of mature students life experiences, so i guess its better to speak to the University you wish to go to eventually and put some feelers out.

My only true advice is, if you have ANY Universities in mind - Ask them if your current AHE modules would be sufficient. I struggled for a very long time trying to get clarification from different Universities and Access to HE providers, so you will want to get that ball rolling as you may find that some Universities only accept Access to HE students from certain providers. (You will also want to check if your provider is accredited too if you are going the online route for access to HE!)

During my Access to HE, i attempted to re-do my GCSE's Online (my access to HE was all online) and some providers do allow you to do A-level math, i have had friends who ended up doing two different providers, as in an Access to HE and A-level Maths online. But, it will take a massive strain on you. I didn't even get half way through my GCSE Maths because my access to HE was quite intensive.

Ask you University if your modules are good enough, or even if they aren't - ask your college to see if they do bolt-ons like A-level math or something equivalent. I saw various providers giving out custom-built Access to HE packages, but a lot of them were at physical Collages which i couldn't reasonably attend due to work etc.

Access to HE courses can be very generic, or at worst - random. It felt really weird having to do a science access to HE - despite not wanting to study science at Uni. Low and behold, i found a "Science & Engineering Access course" literally the week after finishing my current access. Typical :smile:

Outside of Access to HE, you could also invest free time into teaching yourself, watching YT videos and so forth - something to put on a personal statement perhaps etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Dotz0r
Ask you University if your modules are good enough, or even if they aren't - ask your college to see if they do bolt-ons like A-level math or something equivalent. I saw various providers giving out custom-built Access to HE packages, but a lot of them were at physical Collages which i couldn't reasonably attend due to work etc.

I've currently sent an email to the college (as it's a physical college I will be studying at) to see if they can put me in touch with the tutor for the lesson. I will also be contacting the uni's I'm leaning towards (and maybe a few others as backups) to see what they require as soon as I hear back. I'll happily put in extra time and work as I do have the luxury of not currently working, so I'm not too worried on that side of things - but putting in an hour a week for something that may not get me where I need to be by the end of it all is what's got me a little worried.

I'm also currently having a look into private fast track A-Levels as well as cost of exams if I was to do it alone. Maths (fortunately) is one of my very strong subjects and passions so self-teaching is also very much on the cards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending