The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Erik.
take the offensive first - try to get your mum sectioned.

Peep Show fan? :biggrin:
im not sure about this, but i think she has to get a court order to remove you.

do you pay rent? there will usually be some sort of notice, so you have a chance to go and all that, by court 28 days, sooo, youll be foiiiine:biggrin:
Alberto Gilardino
So how will I have to leave then?

I'm more than willing to just sit here.

You're getting into civil law now, not my area of expertise, displaced residential occupiers etcetera.

In theory you eventually become a trespasser, and she can use reasonable force to remove you. Far more likely however is that she gets the locks changed when you go out one day!

Then it becomes an offence for you to break in etc... which the police will deal with you for.
Reply 43
The police have better things to be doing that evicting people from their family homes, so I think you are safe on that.
tomoli
The police have better things to be doing that evicting people from their family homes, so I think you are safe on that.

yeah they do, but they don't do it.
Reply 45

Best advice I can give - if the police come, be very calm and sensible and rational. They're not going to want to get into what is effectively a family disagreement, and as long as you aren't giving them any reason to think you're doing something illegal (like, for instance, being verbally abusive, or behaving in a threatening manner), then why would they do anything to you? So, if they are called at any point, just keep calm and you'll be fine.
Reply 46
The police cant move you, they can't physically evict squatters. However they can change the locks while their out, or in this case when your out. So if you left only whist she was out and made sure you were back before her then she cant change the locks, or you could sit there.
Reply 47
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Peep Show fan? :biggrin:

oh yes!! :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dmtQ8pKTk0
Cheers

I know for a fact if I stay tonight and tomorrow she wont do anything like change the locks. Shes too stupid. And either way I could still get in.

I dont pay rent cos I have no money and I tried pretty hard to get a job but cos Im going to Uni no one wanted an unexperinced person just as a temp.
Reply 49
I work in a police enquiry office. Trust me, the police won't get involved. It's domestic.
Reply 50
I don't think the police will come because she wants to kick you out and such
I don;t think they'll be bothered tbh..
Unless she told them something like you're a madmen on the loose who's trying to kill her...
Rennie
I work in a police enquiry office. Trust me, the police won't get involved. It's domestic.

So that's where all the duff advice comes from...:p: j/k

They wont get involved in eviction, true. But this is not an eviction, because she is not a tenant / squatter (because someone else lives in the premises). Police do get involved in domestic incidents, they are treated very seriously, however police powers generally only come into play once offences occur.
Just remind her that one day you'll be choosing her retirement home, and that if she wants her old age to be anything other than lonely and painful, she'll rethink and let you stay at home. :p:
I definitely have done nothing offensive whatsoever.

I'd only ever defend myself if she tried something. And like I say, if the police do come, they'll see I'm a perfectly nice young chap, about to go to a top 10 Uni. And she'll probably start screaming and shouting.

I wish my Dad hadn't been such a pussy, He should have kicked her out. And my life would be a billion times better

:laughing: "Look guys, you've had your fun with the sectioning...no more sectioning today"
Alberto,

I think you should show your mother a bit of respect. I realise you are angry and upset but you have called her "mental" and "stupid". Do you make any effort to disguise your opinion of her at home??

Your mother does not have to have you in her home. You ceased to be her legal responsibility when you turned 16. If you are not named on the mortgage deed or tenancy agreement, you are simply a guest. It is her right to tell an unwanted guest to leave.

The police certainly WILL ask you to leave the property if she indicates that she does not feel safe with you in the home.

I would consider your options in case the worst happens. Do you have friends or family who would put you up until you start university? Or even for a couple of days so things can calm down?

I recommend you apologise to her when the dust has settled even though you don't believe you have done anything wrong.

You only get one mother and your relationship may well be completely different when you are older (hopefully for the better!). And remember, this is not just a problem for the next month, you will need somewhere to call home when you are on holiday from university.
your 18 your an adult

yes she can legally kick you out
The police won't do anything. My boyfriend had this problem, his mum used to phone the police about them not getting along and they basically told her to bog off.
She went out for a couple of hours. Came back and hasnt said anything to me since. SO I dont think im getting kicked out

Maybe she went to one of her (very few) friends and they told her what a prat she was being
Alberto Gilardino
She went out for a couple of hours. Came back and hasnt said anything to me since. SO I dont think im getting kicked out

Maybe she went to one of her (very few) friends and they told her what a prat she was being

If you check the figures produced by Crisis, Shelter or the Home Office, you will find that approximately 20% of rough sleepers in London were kicked out of their family homes due to a breakdown in their relationship with their parents.

I'm glad you have a bed for the night but, unless you change your condescending and disrespectful attitude towards your mother, you will find yourself in this position again. You seem to blame and resent your mother for the absence of your father. Get over it - you are an adult. And make the most of university - it really will change your life.

Latest

Trending

Trending