The Student Room Group

What to do with my car when at uni

As someone who lives in a rural area, I use my car nearly every day (especially as I have a part time job) due to the lack of transport links, and I don't regret buying it. However, I'm moving to uni in just over 2 weeks, and they pretty much don't want any student bringing cars at all. It's in a very well connected city and I am within walking distance of my subject departments etc so I can see why. I just don't know what to do with my car while it's at home and there is next to no info about similar situations online.

My insurance runs out in January so for at least the next few months I will have to pay around £90 a month for a car I don't drive, which is looking like the most likely option right now. I plan to work at uni so this is possible but obviously really inconvenient. I will also still need to use it in the holidays.

Temporary insurance would be perfect but when I put my details in to get a quote they don't seem to want to cover me? And I could temporarily SORN it but I don't even know if that's possible. Another option is cancelling my insurance before I go to uni but they will probably charge me and I may even be tied in to a 12 month contract.

Any help would be appreciated!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by MJ1148
As someone who lives in a rural area, I use my car nearly every day (especially as I have a part time job) due to the lack of transport links, and I don't regret buying it. However, I'm moving to uni in just over 2 weeks, and they pretty much don't want any student bringing cars at all. It's in a very well connected city and I am within walking distance of my subject departments etc so I can see why. I just don't know what to do with my car while it's at home and there is next to no info about similar situations online.

My insurance runs out in January so for at least the next few months I will have to pay around £90 a month for a car I don't drive, which is looking like the most likely option right now. I plan to work at uni so this is possible but obviously really inconvenient. I will also still need to use it in the holidays.

Temporary insurance would be perfect but when I put my details in to get a quote they don't seem to want to cover me? And I could temporarily SORN it but I don't even know if that's possible. Another option is cancelling my insurance before I go to uni but they will probably charge me and I may even be tied in to a 12 month contract.

Leaving your car uninsured, even when it's not on a public road, is a risk. It may be stollen, or catch fire. The safest approach is to keep it insured, potentially on a limited mileage policy. You will also need to put it on a battery tender, if it isn't going to be used reasonably regularly.

Temporary insurance is typically quite expensive. If you could find insurance per mile, that may be cheaper, but I'm not familiar with the current UK insurance market. Cancelling your insurance will cost you in fees and NCB.

I suspect that you're either going to have to pay for insurance when you're not able to drive it, or sell it (and not have a car when you're home). Cars can be expensive.
Reply 3
Original post by RogerOxon
Leaving your car uninsured, even when it's not on a public road, is a risk. It may be stollen, or catch fire. The safest approach is to keep it insured, potentially on a limited mileage policy. You will also need to put it on a battery tender, if it isn't going to be used reasonably regularly.

Temporary insurance is typically quite expensive. If you could find insurance per mile, that may be cheaper, but I'm not familiar with the current UK insurance market. Cancelling your insurance will cost you in fees and NCB.

I suspect that you're either going to have to pay for insurance when you're not able to drive it, or sell it (and not have a car when you're home). Cars can be expensive.

Thank you, that's really useful. I hadn't considered a lot of that, will keep paying the insurance till Jan then. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending