The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is £150 a month enough to live on in Leeds?

I’m moving to Leers in a couple of weeks for uni and my maintenance loan only will cover my accomadation as it’s extremely expensive. My dad is giving me £150 a month to live on. Does anyone know if that is enough to live on? I don’t drink so won’t need to spend money going out but would that amount be enough for groceries, occasional takeaways etc. ?
Reply 1
Original post by Masonnj
I’m moving to Leers in a couple of weeks for uni and my maintenance loan only will cover my accomadation as it’s extremely expensive. My dad is giving me £150 a month to live on. Does anyone know if that is enough to live on? I don’t drink so won’t need to spend money going out but would that amount be enough for groceries, occasional takeaways etc. ?

Leeds* my bad
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Are bills included in your accommodation?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Are bills included in your accommodation?

Yeah, all bills covered and contents insurance.
Reply 4
Youll be fine just make sure to buy very cheap food such as tesco value rice and beans.
Original post by Gillzy
Youll be fine just make sure to buy very cheap food such as tesco value rice and beans.

along with limited amount of clubbing/drinking!
If your accomadation, bills, any monthly payemnts you make e.g. towards car insurance/phone etc is included then £150 is more than enough to live comfortably and spend a bit more here and there
150 is plenty after acomm for 4 weeks.
I used to budget 20 pounds a week using 80 a month, 150 is very generous imo. You will be fine, just avoid impulse buys.
You should be ok with this if you break it down into per week it’ll be just under £40.
Go savvy with your food shop and look for any deals or ways to meal prep to save abit of money. (Freeze meat if you are a meat eater also bread too for up to a month). Bulk buy things like rice and pasta when on offer!
Don’t forget the little things like loo roll and cleaning products etc. (Not a lot but worth considering factoring in a few pounds a month for).

Top tip: Try to save at least £5 a week so that at the end of the month you have a little bit to treat yourself with!

Enjoy and good luck!
Original post by Masonnj

Fine for food, but you wont be doing takeaways and social life that often. A Saturday job would make all the difference.
So are u just not going to buy any clothes
That should be fine shop at Lidl/Aldi
Original post by TallyBridget19

I mean, most people do bring clothes with them to uni. More new stuff you're not going to wear often isn't exactly an essential.
£40/week.

Not really. Can you survive, yes.
But this really restricts you to nothing else. You will be struggling with the basics.

I recommend a part-time job or a holiday job that lets you put money away.
Reply 14
Original post by TallyBridget19

I haven't walked around naked for 18 years I have a full wardrobe of clothes. Probably too many lol!
Reply 15
Original post by ClaudiaVan
You should be ok with this if you break it down into per week it’ll be just under £40.
Go savvy with your food shop and look for any deals or ways to meal prep to save abit of money. (Freeze meat if you are a meat eater also bread too for up to a month). Bulk buy things like rice and pasta when on offer!
Don’t forget the little things like loo roll and cleaning products etc. (Not a lot but worth considering factoring in a few pounds a month for).

Top tip: Try to save at least £5 a week so that at the end of the month you have a little bit to treat yourself with!

Enjoy and good luck!

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 16
I'd say that's more than enough? I don't know how much you'd spend when food shopping but I think you'd manage! First food shop is always going to be more expensive because you'll be getting bags of rice and pasta, sugar tea oils etc which costs more but will last a long time.
Clubs aren't open so you're probably going to save some money on all the missed nights out (sad i know im livid).
After a few weeks you'll figure out if the 150/month is enough for *you*
150 is totally manageable though
Reply 17
Original post by elb0w
I'd say that's more than enough? I don't know how much you'd spend when food shopping but I think you'd manage! First food shop is always going to be more expensive because you'll be getting bags of rice and pasta, sugar tea oils etc which costs more but will last a long time.
Clubs aren't open so you're probably going to save some money on all the missed nights out (sad i know im livid).
After a few weeks you'll figure out if the 150/month is enough for *you*
150 is totally manageable though

Cheers! I think my dad is covering my first big shop too which saves me money so hopefully should be all good.
What about travel costs

Quick Reply

Latest