The Student Room Group

Does anyone else stay in touch with their teachers?

I'm a postgrad now and I am in relatively close contact with 3 of my teachers from school (one from Y11 and 2 from 6th Form). Teacher 1 taught me from 3 years, and helped me a lot pastorally (at one point my head of year accused me of fancying him lol but I was just having a horrible time at school and he was supporting me through it). His parents went to my postgrad uni so he's going to come and visit (with his wife) in a few months' time. The other two both taught me for 2 years each, and one I just email from time to time, whilst the other found me on Instagram a few months back (I had followed his travel blog since leaving school, but he followed me back and we got chatting again). My friends all say it's weird because I'm female and they are all male, but they are all married and I have absolutely 0 interest in any of them (plus I was taught by the Instagram one's wife, and she is super chill with us talking). Is this weird, or do other people do the same?
Nope I am hoping to do the same. I just finished y13 and am going into uni. Quite similarly to you I have a few teachers (all male) I want to keep in contact with, one having known me for 5 years, and we have been close for 4 (I've been accused of fancying them too). I get why you think it may be weird, but I think you're basing that mainly on how other people see you and your relationships with your teachers. Yeah I guess it's not particularly the norm to have such a close relationship with teachers, especially if they're male and you're female, but it doesn't mean it's wrong or should be frowned upon. After several years of being made fun of for my close relationship with my male teacher, I think it gets to a point where you need to ignore how others react to it and what their opinions on it are. Plus, why is it bothering others so much? It's your life so you shouldn't have to feel bad for wanting to stay in contact with people who have helped you/you've enjoyed the company of.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Nope I am hoping to do the same. I just finished y13 and am going into uni. Quite similarly to you I have a few teachers (all male) I want to keep in contact with, one having known me for 5 years, and we have been close for 4 (I've been accused of fancying them too). I get why you think it may be weird, but I think you're basing that mainly on how other people see you and your relationships with your teachers. Yeah I guess it's not particularly the norm to have such a close relationship with teachers, especially if they're male and you're female, but it doesn't mean it's wrong or should be frowned upon. After several years of being made fun of for my close relationship with my male teacher, I think it gets to a point where you need to ignore how others react to it and what their opinions on it are. Plus, why is it bothering others so much? It's your life so you shouldn't have to feel bad for wanting to stay in contact with people who have helped you/you've enjoyed the company of.

Glad I'm not the only one! Yeah, I don't see an issue with it, like if it's polite and friendly and you are all adults then who cares, but I have been mocked and accused of all sorts of things, which is quite depressing. Oh well.
Original post by Anonymous
Glad I'm not the only one! Yeah, I don't see an issue with it, like if it's polite and friendly and you are all adults then who cares, but I have been mocked and accused of all sorts of things, which is quite depressing. Oh well.

It is depressing and I'm really sorry you had to go through that. It sucks to hear that even now that you're a postgrad people still act immature about it. In my eyes anyway if the teacher is happy to talk to you, they want to keep in touch and that they appreciate your relationship as much as you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending