The Student Room Group

The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greekdentist
Your ucat score is very good. I think you should consider belfast, cardiff and maybe queen marys.
My bmat last year was 3.9, 4.2, 3.5A.

Did you get a interview/offer with that bmat score?
Original post by Jake653
Did you get a interview/offer with that bmat score?

Yeah I did at leeds but I got rejected post interview. :frown:
Yeah I did at leeds but I got rejected post interview. :frown:

Did they say why? I’m sure you’ll get in this time!
Original post by Jake653
Did they say why? I’m sure you’ll get in this time!

No they didn't unfortunately but their interview feedback was very helpful. They gave me an indication of how I did in each station.
Hey guys,

I would be grateful for any advice about choices (I'm a home grad btw), stats are as follows:

A-Levels: ABB (A in chemistry, B in Biology)
Degree (achieved): 2:1
UCAT: 2850 B3
No they didn't unfortunately but their interview feedback was very helpful. They gave me an indication of how I did in each station.

Hiya can you provide us details of the feedback?
Original post by Sm 002 u mug
Hiya can you provide us details of the feedback?

Their feedback was mostly related to how I went in each of their 5 stations (e.g. scoring average/good/excellent). They didn't provide me with a mark but it was rather a more general one. I was thinking if they might change their format this year since it might not be a virtual.
Is anyone preparing for the bmat here for Leeds dentistry?
Can anyone help. Im looking to apply to Leeds (through access to Leeds) on 15th October for dental surgery though UCAS.
My other 4 choices I’m wanting to do dental therapy (with the hope of doing a graduate entry after). The dental therapy UCAS doesn’t have to be in until January.
Do I have to apply for all my dental therapy unis on the 15th October as I’m having to put my Dental surgery in early?
Hello! I want to apply to dentistry, but I just got my grades back and I have:

Chem: predicted B
Physics: predicted A
Biology: predicted A/A* ( the teachers haven't decided yet)

My GCSEs I got 7 9s and 3 8s.

My UCAT -
VR - 640
DM - 760
QR - 700
AR - 720
Total - 2820
SJT - Band 3

I did Gold D of E, and I did an EPQ.

I have a lot of work experience and a high number for my UCAS application.

I would have liked to go to KCL (A*, A, A), Cardiff(A, A, A), Bristol (A, A, A), Plymouth (A, A, A). Please could you let me know if I stil l have a chance?
Original post by Katie_w4194
Can anyone help. Im looking to apply to Leeds (through access to Leeds) on 15th October for dental surgery though UCAS.
My other 4 choices I’m wanting to do dental therapy (with the hope of doing a graduate entry after). The dental therapy UCAS doesn’t have to be in until January.
Do I have to apply for all my dental therapy unis on the 15th October as I’m having to put my Dental surgery in early?

You can send off your UCAS application for BDS on the 15th and then add your DHT choices at a later date up until January.
Original post by salsa2054
Hello! I want to apply to dentistry, but I just got my grades back and I have:

Chem: predicted B
Physics: predicted A
Biology: predicted A/A* ( the teachers haven't decided yet)

My GCSEs I got 7 9s and 3 8s.

My UCAT -
VR - 640
DM - 760
QR - 700
AR - 720
Total - 2820
SJT - Band 3

I did Gold D of E, and I did an EPQ.

I have a lot of work experience and a high number for my UCAS application.

I would have liked to go to KCL (A*, A, A), Cardiff(A, A, A), Bristol (A, A, A), Plymouth (A, A, A). Please could you let me know if I stil l have a chance?

You’ll be guaranteed a rejection unless you can get that B turned into an A or you’re eligible for contextual offers.
Original post by Neuroshmuck
Hi there,
Predicted grades: Biology A* Chemistry A* Geography A
GCSEs: 88888777777 (8s in Bio, Chem and Maths)
UCAT:

Verbal Reasoning 740
Decision Making 790
Quantitative Reasoning 700
Abstract Reasoning 830
Total Score 3060 Band 2

Looking at KCL as my first choice, however any other dental schools that are UCAT heavy?
Also what's the best insurance school incase of me getting a B in geography, I really don't know much about clearing.

Thanks
(especially you legendary Sannin)

Bart’s would be a great choice given your UCAT score. You’re pretty much set for any dental school of your choice (except maybe Cardiff as they’re one of the more GCSE heavy schools which favour 9s).

Regarding insurance, no dental school officially accepts Bs and you’re highly likely to be rejected on results day by all dental schools (I say officially because there have been people in the past who were still accepted despite getting a B, but this was pre-COVID so I really wouldn’t bank on it). Just try your best to get that A.
Dental schools don’t enter clearing either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Bart’s would be a great choice given your UCAT score. You’re pretty much set for any dental school of your choice (except maybe Cardiff as they’re one of the more GCSE heavy schools which favour 9s).

Regarding insurance, no dental school officially accepts Bs and you’re highly likely to be rejected on results day by all dental schools (I say officially because there have been people in the past who were still accepted despite getting a B, but this was pre-COVID so I really wouldn’t bank on it). Just try your best to get that A.
Dental schools don’t enter clearing either.

hello miss dentist how are things:biggrin:
Original post by Neuroshmuck
Hi there,
Predicted grades: Biology A* Chemistry A* Geography A
GCSEs: 88888777777 (8s in Bio, Chem and Maths)
UCAT:

Verbal Reasoning 740
Decision Making 790
Quantitative Reasoning 700
Abstract Reasoning 830
Total Score 3060 Band 2

Looking at KCL as my first choice, however any other dental schools that are UCAT heavy?
Also what's the best insurance school incase of me getting a B in geography, I really don't know much about clearing.

Thanks
(especially you legendary Sannin)

Newcastle, Bristol, QMUL, KCL
Original post by Lolerpool
Hey guys,

I would be grateful for any advice about choices (I'm a home grad btw), stats are as follows:

A-Levels: ABB (A in chemistry, B in Biology)
Degree (achieved): 2:1
UCAT: 2850 B3

Anyone??
Reply 596
Hi I am unsure where is best to apply…

GCSES:
9s- maths, Chen, bio, physics, Spanish, food, geography
8s - eng lit, eng Lang.
And an A in ad. Maths

UCAT:
VR - 590
DM - 700
QR - 740
AR - 710
TOTAL - 2740
Average- 685

SJT - band 2

A levels:
Chem, bio and psychology with all A* ucas prediction

Epq - 49/50 A* (before external moderation)

I have also done a fair bit of work experience (volunteering abroad and working in a vaccine site aswell as in practice)

I am looking at Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham or mayb Bristol but am unsure if I will get considered at any of these and also I am considering Sheffield because of the lowering to AAB with an EPQ but the B would have to be in psychology which I feel more confident i anyways so I don’t really know..

I want to apply somewhere which is AAA and am open to anywhere which will take me tbh please feel free to give advice on whether my UCAT seems good enough or if I would have to reconsider options.
Original post by ea27
Hi I am unsure where is best to apply…

GCSES:
9s- maths, Chen, bio, physics, Spanish, food, geography
8s - eng lit, eng Lang.
And an A in ad. Maths

UCAT:
VR - 590
DM - 700
QR - 740
AR - 710
TOTAL - 2740
Average- 685

SJT - band 2

A levels:
Chem, bio and psychology with all A* ucas prediction

Epq - 49/50 A* (before external moderation)

I have also done a fair bit of work experience (volunteering abroad and working in a vaccine site aswell as in practice)

I am looking at Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham or mayb Bristol but am unsure if I will get considered at any of these and also I am considering Sheffield because of the lowering to AAB with an EPQ but the B would have to be in psychology which I feel more confident i anyways so I don’t really know..

I want to apply somewhere which is AAA and am open to anywhere which will take me tbh please feel free to give advice on whether my UCAT seems good enough or if I would have to reconsider options.

QMUL, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield or Liverpool. Newcastle is very risky with your score. Idk what their dentistry cutoff last year was but their medicine cutoff was 2820.
Hi where shall I apply with a low UCAT score?
Average score:575 SJT Band 2
Predicted 4A*s
work exp in 2 dental surgeries
I am currently looking Plymouth, Dundee, Liverpool, Belfast, Cardiff and Leeds (BMAT).
Shall i give it a go to try one of the london unis despite my low Ucat score? wonder how much my predicted a levels could compensate.
Original post by Isaac137920
Hi where shall I apply with a low UCAT score?
Average score:575 SJT Band 2
Predicted 4A*s
work exp in 2 dental surgeries
I am currently looking Plymouth, Dundee, Liverpool, Belfast, Cardiff and Leeds (BMAT).
Shall i give it a go to try one of the london unis despite my low Ucat score? wonder how much my predicted a levels could compensate.

What are your GCSE's? Cardiff is very GCSE heavy and I would discourage anyone from applying if they have 1 grade which is lower than an 8. Dundee has limited RUK places on top of deferrals so it will be very competitive. Plymouth, Liverpool, Leeds and QUB could be good choices. The London unis are off the tables. KCL is holistic but I haven't seen any interviews with 2300.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ucat_and_predicted_grades_for_de
QMUL gives 50/50 weighing for UCAS points and UCAT score but it will be very risky.

Quick Reply

Latest