The Student Room Group

Charging pc at university

Im currently picking out a new Laptop and have the choice between a gaming pc (Asus i5, 15.6, GTX1650 graphic card) and a laptop that isn’t suited for intense gaming but which battery lasts 12 hours (Asus, 15,6, UHD620). I doubt I’ll be able to play games like Skyrim, wow etc.

But the gaming pc only lasts about 4 hours and I fear this will present a problem while I’m at uni? (Lectures, working in cafes etc)
Original post by kirachan
Im currently picking out a new Laptop and have the choice between a gaming pc (Asus i5, 15.6, GTX1650 graphic card) and a laptop that isn’t suited for intense gaming but which battery lasts 12 hours (Asus, 15,6, UHD620). I doubt I’ll be able to play games like Skyrim, wow etc.

But the gaming pc only lasts about 4 hours and I fear this will present a problem while I’m at uni? (Lectures, working in cafes etc)

It's generally not worth listening to the manufacturer recommendations on battery life. Not only do they perform their testing in very specific conditions, but these tests are not unified across vendors. As a result, battery life measured in hours is an unreliable metric.

That said, these numbers don't look unrealistic. As is expected, a more powerful laptop with gaming hardware will suck more power than something with a low power chip and integrated graphics. But at the same time, battery life under load and battery life under everyday work are very different things. It would be worth checking out proper reviews of each laptop to see what the battery life is really like.

This is going to come down to how much you want the power of the gaming laptop, vs the portability of the non gaming laptop. It's going to be about more than battery life, as I assume the gaming laptop is heavier and has a bulkier charger. Do you actually need to take the laptop to lectures, or work in cafes? Especially with COVID. Do you want to carry the laptop and charger around with you all day? Really you just need to weigh up the pros and cons of each.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending