The Student Room Group

if you are on a train, can you not sit on your booked seat?

for example when you go in. you saw someone siting beside your seat. But there is a empty seat behind it - can you sit on that one? Or do you seat on your booked seat then after the train start , you can leave and go to the one behind?
Reply 1
provided nobody else has that seat, you can, in practice
Reply 2
Yes, you’re free to move to an unreserved seat. However, on a busy service, you’ve booked that seat to prevent others from using it so it’s best to stay in that seat, instead of using two.
(edited 3 years ago)
I would sit in my booked seat and hope that the person sitting next to it moves lol.
Original post by Anonymous
for example when you go in. you saw someone siting beside your seat. But there is a empty seat behind it - can you sit on that one? Or do you seat on your booked seat then after the train start , you can leave and go to the one behind?

Yes it's your seat. You might be able to get away with changing seats, but 1) check with the conductor first and 2) do not, repeat not, remove the reserved seat tag from your seat. There is a penalty for removing these tags.
Original post by Anonymous

yes I commonly sit in a different seat to the one I booked as long as the train isn't busy. The ticket inspectors don't care a jot
Original post by harrysbar
yes I commonly sit in a different seat to the one I booked as long as the train isn't busy. The ticket inspectors don't care a jot

At least they don't on the company you've been using. Ticket inspectors on other companies might well fine you on the other hand because you're technically travelling without a valid ticket. This is technically the case if you have your luggage on another seat too.
Original post by CletusPotter
At least they don't on the company you've been using. Ticket inspectors on other companies might well fine you on the other hand because you're technically travelling without a valid ticket. This is technically the case if you have your luggage on another seat too.

No they won't, I have been using trains for over 30 years so have used lots of different companies. You're not travelling without a valid ticket if you sit somewhere else, you have still paid for a ticket which you can produce. And ticket inspectors don't care as long as the train isn't busy as I already said. People need to use their common sense and not do it if the train is busy though.
Original post by CletusPotter

Where did you get this crazy tale from?

A seat reservation is not a ticket, it even says that on the reservation card.
If there is someone sitting on your seat, then you have every right to sit on them. This is widely practised.
Original post by chopingirl
If there is someone sitting on your seat, then you have every right to sit on them. This is widely practised.

I wish I had seen it
You can sit on any seat, but if it’s reserved by someone else the ticket holder can ask you to move. That will probably only be if the train is quite full and they can’t find another seat easily, or if they particularly wanted that seat for some reason (table, plug, accessibility issue etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending