The Student Room Group

Would you do a part-time jobs for free?

Hi, i am final year student. I found a part-time 6 month design jobs. Would you want to go ahead if you don't get pay at all - just for experience purposes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you think you're worth nothing, sure.
No.
Reply 3
but i have no experience , didn't do a placement and most entry roles/junior require 1-2 commercial experiences.

Original post by Xarao
If you think you're worth nothing, sure.

yes atm i have no experiences, i need this to put it on my CV.
I'd consider it if it doesn't take up too much time and it can help go towards a job you want in the future.Rollin.jpg
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i am final year student. I found a part-time 6 month design jobs. Would you want to go ahead if you don't get pay at all - just for experience purposes?

Hi!!

That is basically volunteering, isn't it?

It depends on you if you can work around your university tasks. I feel like 6 months of unpaid work may make you feel unmotivated.

It depends if you can manage it!

Good luck!

Marlena - Official Student Rep :smile:
Maybe.
Depending upon the: company reputation, training, practical experience and potential for helpful future contacts/references/networking opportunities.
Sounds like an unpaid internship with no expenses offered, I've done a few and have no regrets.
Quite a few people spend thousands of pounds buying a 30-90 day internship in fashion, law, publishing or finance.

Do I look like charity?
Yah man why not? As long as I get to light my joint with some reggae beats during me break all is bless jah
Nah I would only do it if it's charity to help the needy. Other than that I want to be paid.

This is not a job if you are not getting paid. This would be you getting exploited for free labour, under the guise of "it'll be great experience".

To more generally answer the question, no I would not do a part time job for free. If it's a part time job, I'd expect to be paid. Similarly I'd never consider an internship or university placement year where I didn't get paid. While in some of these cases you might be able to claim the experience is worth it, it doesn't really justify you not getting paid. It's very hard to be a true financial value on experience, and if you're going to work for free it should be entirely under your own terms.

At the end of the day, there are ways to get experience that don't involve a 6 month part time job that doesn't pay. The end goal is never to just get experience.
Reply 11
I would do a short stint in the summer for example for free it was with a large reputable company. On the other hand I know how you feel, but what I did was simply reach out to smaller companies and see if they would allow me to spend some time overseeing and having insight in certain roles. I did around 6 months worth over my entire degree (3 years) and it helped a lot. But like others have alluded I absolutely would not take on a role that required work responsibilities for no pay.
Reply 12
No. And especially not for 6 months.
No. That would be classed as volunteering, not a part time job. I would expect it to be on my own terms if it was for free.
If you are describing it as a 'job' then no. If you are doing something for fun because you enjoy it and there is no other options then i'd consider it. But doing a job for free? No chance.
Reply 15

If I could find a way to support myself, and if that industry was quite hard to break into i'd definitely consider it.

it sucks to work for free, but you've got to consider whether or not that experience you get from it will be worth it.
I studied multimedia and wanted to get into design jobs like user experience. But no luck all rejected since they require commercial experiences. So i hoping to get experience by working part-time in a small company and saying that i will do the work for free and it's just for experience so it's a win win.
i been applying since January and it's too competitive , everyone is fighting for jobs during to lockdown . there no way i can get any experience because of this so i plan to work for free .
Reply 18
it’s illegal to treat part-time workers
less favourably than full-time.

https://www.gov.uk/part-time-worker-rights

so you’re being treated as a volunteer and not a worker or employee. also read here.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-rights-for-interns

would do it if money wasn’t a problem. that’s up for you to decide.
No. I've got enough voluntary work on my CV and at this point need actual money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending