The Student Room Group

Shall I open a credit card to buy a laptop?

I returned a fault laptop on ebay and It says please allow 48 hours to process does this mean the money will be in my account in 48 hours?
I've seen a couple laptops I like on sale and I'm scared they will go out of stock. Should I open a credit card or does that take time to set up as well. I really want a good laptop for uni and all the deals are going and I'm scared they won't put any more deals up now as the Christmas period starts they'll just start increasing the prices. I don't want to borrow someone else's card and I don't have anyone to borrow off either. Shall I just wait it out or buy it on a credit card which I don't have yet. My current card doesn't allow me to use overdraft and I'm 19
Reply 1
I don't need the laptop now, I néed it in January but I'm scared the prices will go up if I wait and by the time it takes for ebay to return my money all the good deals would have gone.
Hi there, getting a credit card can take up to a week, the applications are usually approved instantly, but there's posting the card to you that often takes time.
There's store credit accounts that are usually online based and these are normally very quick to be accepted if you have good credit. With these, you need to be very careful because often, the interest rates are stupid and if you can't pay it off quickly, that £500 laptop becomes a £1000 laptop.
You can often find "buy now, pay later" credit schemes, or some companies won't charge you interest if you can pay off the balance within 6 months. These might be good to look for when buying a laptop.
At 19 though, you're unlikely to have a decent credit score, so you might only be approved by companies on the dodgier end of the spectrum. If you must get a credit card, pay the minimum payment each month. Don't fall behind. One card can haunt you for a long time!
Reply 3
Original post by Always_Confused
Hi there, getting a credit card can take up to a week, the applications are usually approved instantly, but there's posting the card to you that often takes time.
There's store credit accounts that are usually online based and these are normally very quick to be accepted if you have good credit. With these, you need to be very careful because often, the interest rates are stupid and if you can't pay it off quickly, that £500 laptop becomes a £1000 laptop.
You can often find "buy now, pay later" credit schemes, or some companies won't charge you interest if you can pay off the balance within 6 months. These might be good to look for when buying a laptop.
At 19 though, you're unlikely to have a decent credit score, so you might only be approved by companies on the dodgier end of the spectrum. If you must get a credit card, pay the minimum payment each month. Don't fall behind. One card can haunt you for a long time!

Thank you. Do you think I should just wait for ebay to refund me then? Its so annoying all the good deals are going :-/
Reply 4
Do you think their will be any good deals and I should just wait for them I don't need a laptop till January?
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
For what purpose are you wanting to get a credit card? Cashback? Protection? Poor money management?
Original post by Anonymous
I returned a fault laptop on ebay and It says please allow 48 hours to process does this mean the money will be in my account in 48 hours?
I've seen a couple laptops I like on sale and I'm scared they will go out of stock. Should I open a credit card or does that take time to set up as well. I really want a good laptop for uni and all the deals are going and I'm scared they won't put any more deals up now as the Christmas period starts they'll just start increasing the prices. I don't want to borrow someone else's card and I don't have anyone to borrow off either. Shall I just wait it out or buy it on a credit card which I don't have yet. My current card doesn't allow me to use overdraft and I'm 19

Why are you looking into having a credit card?? Is there any specific need for it?

I'd strongly advise you to avoid if it you don't really need it. Look into 0% payment plans or 0% "Buy Now Pay Later" options but only if you know you can pay it back.

IMO having credit is lovely for convenience, not for wishing you had something when you don't have the money.

Do you think their will be any good deals and I should just wait for them I don't need a laptop till January?

I'd wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday if I were you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
For what purpose are you wanting to get a credit card? Cashback? Protection? Poor money management?

Original post by RoyalSheepy
Why are you looking into having a credit card?? Is there any specific need for it?

I'd strongly advise you to avoid if it you don't really need it. Look into 0% payment plans or 0% "Buy Now Pay Later" options but only if you know you can pay it back.

IMO having credit is lovely for convenience, not for wishing you had something when you don't have the money.

I'm looking for a credit card to buy a laptop on it as ebay still hasn't refunded for a laptop I sent back and they said it would take 5 days and theirs a laptop on sale that I don't want to go on stock. Although, I don't need the laptop till January so I don't know if any new laptops will come on sale.
I'm looking for a credit card to buy a laptop on it as ebay still hasn't refunded for a laptop I sent back and they said it would take 5 days and theirs a laptop on sale that I don't want to go on stock. Although, I don't need the laptop till January so I don't know if any new laptops will come on sale.

Look at my post above again, I edited it just before you replied :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by IWMTom

Cover a short term purchase till they get refunded from another one I think.

OP You would possibly struggle to get a card approved and physically send out and active in less than 1-2 weeks, assuming you were approved. As another user pointed out, many retail stores offer their own cards, you CAN bne approved for these on the spot if you have all your paperwork to hand but interest is often high and they had a habit of blackmailing you a bit, "System says no, but i think it will accept it if you take the 3 year breakdown cover/PPI whatever"

In a more general sense though, there will always be PC deals, always, we're not running out of laptops and notebooks any time soon. In a general sense credit cards can be handy to plug short term gaps if you have them ready, but start to maul you for interest down the line unless you're savvy and keep on top of them, balance transfers ect.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't need the laptop now, I néed it in January but I'm scared the prices will go up if I wait and by the time it takes for ebay to return my money all the good deals would have gone.

Wait for the Christmas sales.
Original post by black tea
Wait for the Christmas sales.

I thought prices are going to go up around Christmas.

Original post by StriderHort
Cover a short term purchase till they get refunded from another one I think.

OP You would possibly struggle to get a card approved and physically send out and active in less than 1-2 weeks, assuming you were approved. As another user pointed out, many retail stores offer their own cards, you CAN bne approved for these on the spot if you have all your paperwork to hand but interest is often high and they had a habit of blackmailing you a bit, "System says no, but i think it will accept it if you take the 3 year breakdown cover/PPI whatever"

In a more general sense though, there will always be PC deals, always, we're not running out of laptops and notebooks any time soon. In a general sense credit cards can be handy to plug short term gaps if you have them ready, but start to maul you for interest down the line unless you're savvy and keep on top of them, balance transfers ect.

Oh okay argos does a card but I think it charges interest if you don't pay it off in time which backdates and I don't really understand what it's saying so I don't want to risk it even though I would pay it off as soon as I receive the refund from eBay.
Original post by RoyalSheepy

I'd wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday if I were you.

Okay thank you.

Christmas sales are after Christmas

Oh okay argos does a card but I think it charges interest if you don't pay it off in time which backdates and I don't really understand what it's saying so I don't want to risk it even though I would pay it off as soon as I receive the refund from eBay.

They all charge interest after each month, both credit & store cards and most other lending, many of them will have promotional/intro deals and rates, but at their core interest and fees is how they make their $$$.
Original post by StriderHort
They all charge interest after each month, both credit & store cards and most other lending, many of them will have promotional/intro deals and rates, but at their core interest and fees is how they make their $$$.

Okay thank you I'll just avoid it.

Original post by black tea
Christmas sales are after Christmas

I need it for January so that would be too late but thanks.
Reply 17
Don't live beyond your means.

That's how you end up in dept.

Wait for your ebay refund or wait until a new deal comes along. Black friday is just around the corner.....
Original post by ANM775
Don't live beyond your means.

That's how you end up in dept.

Wait for your ebay refund or wait until a new deal comes along. Black friday is just around the corner.....

Okay thank you.
Thank you. Do you think I should just wait for ebay to refund me then? Its so annoying all the good deals are going :-/

If once you get the refund, you could pay your credit card/account off in full, you could apply for a credit account.
At the end of November, there's Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Most stores have some decent deals on tech then if you can wait a month?
Otherwise, you could try the old trick of creating an account with a store (just regular account, not credit or anything). Add the laptop to your basket and then don't check out. You'll likely get an email in a day or two offering you a discount or some kind of additional deal to get you to complete the purchase. You can sometimes save a bit of money that way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending