The Student Room Group

Practice questions!

Hi,

From experience, does anyone know if the exam style questions for IGCSE Bio,Chem, Physics (Im doing Edexcel) New specification are similar to the old spec ones? Would it be a good idea to go through all the topic questions possible since 2010+???
Hi
I have done my IGCSE, I wouldn't say the questions are similar but you can definitely use them as an extra help. but not from 2010
(as that's too old), use 2012+
it would be a good idea to do those past papers as revision when your done with the syllabus, do 2 or 3 past papers each week. or if you want just topic questions on certain topics use save my exams.
Goodluckkkk !!
Thank you so much!!! By the way, when do you think would be a good time to finish doing pastpapers/ topic questions; I currently have about 2 months until my exams.
ohhhh 2 months! I think if you do a past paper right up until you have exams. you don't necessarily have to be done with them because you are using it for revision. however I would leave the most recent paper like 1 or 2 or even 3 FULL past papers to do a day before the exam. for biology, leave the recent may/june 2020 as well jan 2020 and oct 2020 if you have access to them until the end. and whatever mistakes that you get, go through that topic or sub-topics again. that's what i did and you should've definitely started studying already even if its just a little bit, this way you have less pressure at the end, less things to cover as you know them already.
Hopefully this makes sense!
Yes, this has helped a lot, thank you!

Oh and (I’m sorry for all the questions), do you mean do a past paper a day? Or how many papers do you recommend per week for each subject?

Also, would you advise any other revision methods along side questions? I have been making/ using flashcards.
Original post by Ileenileen
Yes, this has helped a lot, thank you!

Oh and (I’m sorry for all the questions), do you mean do a past paper a day? Or how many papers do you recommend per week for each subject?

Also, would you advise any other revision methods along side questions? I have been making/ using flashcards.

haha that's okay. I'm glad I can help somehow.
for past paper, it totally depends on you. I don't know whether you have finished revising but if you have finished revising everything, then i would recommend do 3 past papers in a week. But try to do them under exam conditions as time management is also important, after you have finished the exam, mark it. MARK IT STRICTLY. (not by oh i think i deserve a mark here or so, if its not in the mark scheme you don't get a mark). and the questions that you get wrong, revise that particular topics and do more questions on that particular topic. But if you haven't finished revising then that's also okay! after each sub topic that you study, do more questions. the more questions you do the better it is.

For revision techniques, what I used was flashcard, i made like proper good notes, not messy ones. I had every point covered and i bounded my notes together. I use lots of color to highlight the important points because sometimes a specific color sticks in your head faster. (color memory) or if you are more pictorial person, you can draw diagrams or flow charts just to help you understand the concept. Mind maps can also be used when making your notes. in your notes make sure to include a unit conversion table as they do ask them for calculations.
Thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate it :smile:)))

Quick Reply

Latest