The Student Room Group

Grade Requirement

Has Grade Requirements from each uk university has become higher?
I dont know but it wouldnt be surprised if it did. The CAG grades last year were so excessive. 16% with A*s compared to 8 normally and 41% with As compared to approx 24% on a normal year. This has created many more people with these grades so will make things more competitive this year unfortunately. All a result of government caving in to students complaining they had been marked down which genearlly was clearly not the case.
No. Why do you think they have?
Original post by McGinger
No. Why do you think they have?

It was easier to apply to some unis isn't? (the exception of Oxbridge and London Universities). I mean I was looking at Unifrog and the grade requirement for specific courses has become somewhat harder to go into. Even lesser known unis want to give a higher grade requirement compared to well-known unis. That's where my thought came from
Original post by Georgelennon
It was easier to apply to some unis isn't? (the exception of Oxbridge and London Universities). I mean I was looking at Unifrog and the grade requirement for specific courses has become somewhat harder to go into. Even lesser known unis want to give a higher grade requirement compared to well-known unis. That's where my thought came from

I know that back in 2012 grades were increased as some many went to university in 2011 and people didnt defer that year because of increased fees in England. I remember being at an open day in Durham when they were advising of the increased grades.
Original post by swanseajack1
I know that back in 2012 grades were increased as some many went to university in 2011 and people didnt defer that year because of increased fees in England. I remember being at an open day in Durham when they were advising of the increased grades.

I was right after all. Omg, why do they do that? I could understand tutor fees but grades.
I was right after all. Omg, why do they do that? I could understand tutor fees but grades.

It is a question of supply and demand. More students with higher grades mean more applicants with the grades for the same number of places.
If a university has say a 100 places for a case and has more applicants something has to give. There is only so much room in lecture facilities or so many places in halls or houses. Something has to give if there are suddenly more qualified applicants.
It is a question of supply and demand. More students with higher grades mean more applicants with the grades for the same number of places.
If a university has say a 100 places for a case and has more applicants something has to give. There is only so much room in lecture facilities or so many places in halls or houses. Something has to give if there are suddenly more qualified applicants.

I understand now. That's true
I dont know but it wouldnt be surprised if it did. The CAG grades last year were so excessive. 16% with A*s compared to 8 normally and 41% with As compared to approx 24% on a normal year. This has created many more people with these grades so will make things more competitive this year unfortunately. All a result of government caving in to students complaining they had been marked down which genearlly was clearly not the case.

maybe unis might have higher expectations for the 2020 A-level Cohort? (those who sat no exams in order to achieve their grades). Seems like the only fair thing to do at this point be stricter on 2020 cohort pupils who sat no exams to achieve their grades but meh.
Original post by 1st superstar
maybe unis might have higher expectations for the 2020 A-level Cohort? (those who sat no exams in order to achieve their grades). Seems like the only fair thing to do at this point be stricter on 2020 cohort pupils who sat no exams to achieve their grades but meh.

I see
I see

Tbh I don't think that they will have higher expectations but imo it's what needs to happen?
I know that back in 2012 grades were increased as some many went to university in 2011 and people didnt defer that year because of increased fees in England.

2012? What on earth has that got to do with anyone entering Uni in 2021?
Original post by McGinger
2012? What on earth has that got to do with anyone entering Uni in 2021?

What happened in 2011 with far more applicants will happen in 2021 with loads going to universities having deferred so numbers of applicants would be increased in both years which hasnt happened since.
What happened in 2011 with far more applicants will happen in 2021 with loads going to universities having deferred so numbers of applicants would be increased in both years which hasnt happened since.

Actually there aren't that many extra deferrals than in any normal year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending