The Student Room Group

I want to take a Computer Science degree - should I take a philosophy A level?

Hi, so basically my original choices were Maths, further maths, physics and computer science. However, I want to swap physics out for philosophy honestly just for personal intrest. Would that be okay if I want to get into the top unis?
I'll be completely honest, the most important A-levels for computing is maths and further maths. Physics is also very useful, even more useful than computer science, as it allows you to apply even more maths. Maths is key. Unis such as ICL, Cambridge don't mind if you don't have computer science. For your 4th choice, I'd recommend choosing which subject you'd enjoy the most, but physics is more useful for computer science degree than philosophy.
Original post by khunter123444
I'll be completely honest, the most important A-levels for computing is maths and further maths. Physics is also very useful, even more useful than computer science, as it allows you to apply even more maths. Maths is key. Unis such as ICL, Cambridge don't mind if you don't have computer science. For your 4th choice, I'd recommend choosing which subject you'd enjoy the most, but physics is more useful for computer science degree than philosophy.

Alright thank you! I want to take computer science A-level because I enjoy it. Idk coz I don't mind physics but I'm am really intrested in philosophy so it's intrest vs good for my degree

A-Level Chemistry or A-Level Computer Science as a 4th subject

Which is better for Oxbridge, ICL etc?
Original post by Fredericks1
A-Level Chemistry or A-Level Computer Science as a 4th subject

Which is better for Oxbridge, ICL etc?

Both are great. A thing to note is that Chemistry is a lot harder than computer science. For computer science, it doesn't really matter, and I'd recommend choosing what you enjoy the most. Chemistry A-level would open up more doors in terms of degree options if you choose not to do computing (which I'm assuming you are)?
Both are great. A thing to note is that Chemistry is a lot harder than computer science. For computer science, it doesn't really matter, and I'd recommend choosing what you enjoy the most. Chemistry A-level would open up more doors in terms of degree options if you choose not to do computing (which I'm assuming you are)?

Yeah I'm pretty certain I am but I can't say anything for certain though and I don't really like studying chem even though I'm okay at it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending