The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of uni

I am on my second year of psychology and am not enjoying it at all. I've also realised how **** it is for employment. Should I drop out and apply for something else next year?
I’m studying psychology and counselling and I really have no idea where I’m going with it
Original post by katie20047
I am on my second year of psychology and am not enjoying it at all. I've also realised how **** it is for employment. Should I drop out and apply for something else next year?

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this :frown:
I would speak to your tutor or careers advisor at your university. They will be able to help you find what really interests you and find the right course for you. Speaking to your tutor or module coordinator will mean that they may offer another module for you to take if the ones that you are studying aren't what you're interested in. A career officer will be able to advise you about your employment and what you should do to improve your chances.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Psychology is an incredibly popular course right now and therefore asking for high grades. I think you are probably wrong about it not being great for employment as it can open lots of doors. I guess if you are not enjoying it then that is another issue.....or have you lost your enjoyment because you think it's not a worthwhile subject? Probably too late in the day to change course now. Next year will be more tricky to get into uni. Perhaps you should arrange a catchup with your tutor for advice.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Psychology is an incredibly popular course right now and therefore asking for high grades. I think you are probably wrong about it not being great for employment as it can open lots of doors. I guess if you are not enjoying it then that is another issue.....or have you lost your enjoyment because you think it's not a worthwhile subject? Probably too late in the day to change course now. Next year will be more tricky to get into uni. Perhaps you should arrange a catchup with your tutor for advice.

The career prospects are depressing me tbh. Also I feel like I want to go into finance when I am older so the fact that my degree isn't teaching me about that feels dumb to me. Also Psychology is just boring to me now, I'm sick and tired of learning about perception and social influence like I really dont care anymore. Also my social life is pretty **** so maybe that's why I feel so awful a swell
Reply 5
The career prospects are depressing me tbh. Also I feel like I want to go into finance when I am older so the fact that my degree isn't teaching me about that feels dumb to me. Also Psychology is just boring to me now, I'm sick and tired of learning about perception and social influence like I really dont care anymore. Also my social life is pretty **** so maybe that's why I feel so awful a swell

Maybe I should just look into finance in my own time but it also just feels really stupid studying something that won't benefit my future career.
Maybe I should just look into finance in my own time but it also just feels really stupid studying something that won't benefit my future career.

I would have a chat to your tutor or careers as you probably need to get this sorted pretty soonish. Lots of students do courses that bear no relevance to their future careers but it is clearly an important factor to you. Have a chat with them and let us know how you get on/what you decide. Good luck!

My advice would be to finish the degree, now that you are mid-way through your second year. Yes, psychology degrees are very common, but I got a 1st in physics a few years back and still couldn't get a graduate job. The biggest assets are being confident and extroverted... honestly the gift of the gab takes you a long way.
Also, since you are in your second year you have used up 2 years of student finance, so if you started a new degree you would have to pay the first year tuition fees upfront.
Reply 9
Original post by gwhoiehgwehgoe
My advice would be to finish the degree, now that you are mid-way through your second year. Yes, psychology degrees are very common, but I got a 1st in physics a few years back and still couldn't get a graduate job. The biggest assets are being confident and extroverted... honestly the gift of the gab takes you a long way.

Just my luck i am neither or those thing. Also i've only paid for the first term so realistically i would only be paying for that. But i agree i feel like i might aswel finish it. Can i ask what you're doing now?
Reply 10

Katie, your degree in Psychology would allow you to join the Royal Navy as an Officer, if you fulfilled the other criteria. You may like the Logistics Officer role.

In the meantime, check to see whether there is a University Royal Naval Unit for your University. It would help you to be more active and meet new friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending