The Student Room Group

Why don't the government pay your mortgage

If you are on benefits, the government pays your rent but will only pay the interest on your mortgage, not the repayments.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is this a serious question....?
I didn't realise, but under certain conditions, they do pay.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/support-for-mortgage-interest

Alas - most people go pop before the year is out and these payments start.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ByEeek
I didn't realise, but under certain conditions, they do pay.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/support-for-mortgage-interest

Alas - most people go pop before the year is out and these payments start.

That just covers the interest not the capital though?
(though the interest is at an assumed rate rather than based on actuals, so it could cover more than interest but that isn't the intent)
Reply 4
Same reason the Government don't pay for my petrol or for my Pizza Hut - i.e they don't pay for everything lol it's not their job.
The government pays the mortgage for buy to lets that are paid by housing allowance from the unemployed.
Original post by practive
Same reason the Government don't pay for my petrol or for my Pizza Hut - i.e they don't pay for everything lol it's not their job.

I’m sure if Labour ever get back into power they’ll find some way of paying for your Pizza Hut from the benefits system...

Government should have as little involvement in the personal affairs of its public as possible. It is up to the individual to sort that.
Original post by imlikeahermit
I’m sure if Labour ever get back into power they’ll find some way of paying for your Pizza Hut from the benefits system...

Government should have as little involvement in the personal affairs of its public as possible. It is up to the individual to sort that.

^This.
Original post by TCA2b
^This.

^This +1

Why single out Labour? The party of big government, The Conservatives, were paying for everyone's Pizza Hut over summer.
Original post by Kitten in boots
Why single out Labour? The party of big government, The Conservatives, were paying for everyone's Pizza Hut over summer.

While that is true, it isn't usually the case. Usually it’s Labour aiming to bloat the benefits system beyond belief.
Reply 11
While that is true, it isn't usually the case. Usually it’s Labour aiming to bloat the benefits system beyond belief.

Didn't Heath introduce the Christmas bonus?

Didn't Thatcher and Major fix the problem of unemployed miners by putting them on disability benefits?

Didn't Cameron gift us the triple lock?
Original post by Quady
Didn't Heath introduce the Christmas bonus?

Didn't Thatcher and Major fix the problem of unemployed miners by putting them on disability benefits?

Didn't Cameron gift us the triple lock?

Didn’t Labour continuously and strongly oppose the benefits cap?

Didn’t Labour want the current generous furlough scheme to go further?

Didn’t Labour wish to lift the cap on the receipt of child benefit for only the first two children?

So many questions. Yet in every thread you fail to submit any answers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Didn’t Labour continuously and strongly oppose the benefits cap?

Didn’t Labour want the current generous furlough scheme to go further?

Didn’t Labour wish to lift the cap on the receipt of child benefit for only the first two children?

So many questions. Yet in every thread you fail to submit any answers.

Not continously
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-s-frontbenchers-rebel-over-leader-s-opposition-benefit-cap-10503098.html

The Torys have extended it further than Labour's proposed extension. Also, furlough was a Sunak creation.

Quite possibly, they didn't though.

All your examples are from opposition and cover the last 10 years..

The last Labour government got rid of the concept of a sick note, got rid of incapacity benefit and instead of furloughing people during on 80% of their wage during the recession just had people apply for JSA.
Original post by Quady
Not continously
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-s-frontbenchers-rebel-over-leader-s-opposition-benefit-cap-10503098.html

The Torys have extended it further than Labour's proposed extension. Also, furlough was a Sunak creation.

Quite possibly, they didn't though.

All your examples are from opposition and cover the last 10 years..

The last Labour government got rid of the concept of a sick note, got rid of incapacity benefit and instead of furloughing people during on 80% of their wage during the recession just had people apply for JSA.

Doesn’t matter if furlough was created by Sunak or not, Labour still felt the generous amount given wasn’t enough.

So in short, are you suggesting that Labour aren’t the party of the welfare state? Despite constantly opposing suggestions to cut it?
Reply 15
Doesn’t matter if furlough was created by Sunak or not, Labour still felt the generous amount given wasn’t enough.

So in short, are you suggesting that Labour aren’t the party of the welfare state? Despite constantly opposing suggestions to cut it?

Yup, just as Cameron felt the generous state pension wasn't enough and that it should rise faster than wages and inflation.

I'm suggesting they (Labour) aren't the party of the welfare state, just as they aren't the party of the NHS nor international aid.
Original post by Quady
Yup, just as Cameron felt the generous state pension wasn't enough and that it should rise faster than wages and inflation.

I'm suggesting they (Labour) aren't the party of the welfare state, just as they aren't the party of the NHS nor international aid.

Despite their constant objections to the reduction of state benefits and their pledge in their manifesto to increase the budget in the NHS? Who can also forget the other state funded freebies of Under 25's travel for free on buses! Labour are the party of the bloated state. Nationalise everything (although maybe that was just the old codger last time).
Reply 17
Despite their constant objections to the reduction of state benefits and their pledge in their manifesto to increase the budget in the NHS? Who can also forget the other state funded freebies of Under 25's travel for free on buses! Labour are the party of the bloated state. Nationalise everything (although maybe that was just the old codger last time).

There was me thinking it was Bojo who pledged to increase the budget of the NHS in the Tory manifesto....

Freebies - are you having a laugh? Am I just imagining that this Tory government paid me £150+ for food in August....? Similar for my partner (£130+).

Am I imagining it that the rail network has basically been nationalised by this Tory government? (an additional £2.1bn subsidy for 2021/22 announced yesterday).

If Labour are the party of the bloated state then can you explain the Cones hotline or DExEU? How has the forced introduction of regional mayors in places like Manchester who voted against having a mayor reduced the size of the state...? Police commissioners...?
You do understand how a mortgage works, and how amortization and interest relate to rent, right?
Reply 19
Original post by CyclinZH1
You do understand how a mortgage works, and how amortization and interest relate to rent, right?

Yes, but how does it relate to the point which is a political issue?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending