The Student Room Group

Teacher said cars will be banned and everyone will have to use public transport

She started off saying she thinks it should be and then a few people got involved in the conversation then she started going to say she thinks cars will be banned to save the environment. I have heard about cars going electric by 2030 and new cars are going to be banned that are petrol and diesel which got me thinking. I have been thinking what my teacher has said and I have just been a bit worried the government might say at some point to ban all types of vehicles unless its public transport.

My teacher said this a few times, that everyone will have to get public transport and cars will be banned. Im quite a sensitive in general so it kind of upset and made me worried. I know it sounds a bit stupid but let me please explain, its just like there's people like me who have social issues going out on public transport, just would hate the idea of cars being banned, I don't think I'm the only one,its all causing worrying and stuff in my mind. I just overthink things so much and everything even though its not potentially accurate I just can't stop worrying about it. Its just like why did sh say it if its not true

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry. :smile:
Either she is impulsively sharing her own favourite type of wishful thinking without having considering how students will react or she's in the habit of scaring students with utter nonsense.
Private cars, vans, motor cycles and transport like taxis & minicabs will never be banned in the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Don't worry. :smile:
Either she is impulsively sharing her own favourite type of wishful thinking without having considering how students will react or she's in the habit of scaring students with utter nonsense.
Private cars, vans, motor cycles and transport like taxis & minicabs will never be banned in the UK.

The other students didn't seem to be bothered. Im just worried about if people might have said that years ago if you told someone petrol and diesel cars will be banned you probably would get laughed at but hopefully they will stay.
Yeah private vehicles might get cleaner but they're not going anywhere soon. Plenty of UK places don't have good/effective public transport links and that isn't changing anytime soon, a sudden outright ban on private vehicles would genuinely have folk out rioting

Where would people get taxis? What about traders and contractors? Are the folk installing your central heating just going to hoik the boiler and all the pipes onto the old 75 bus? :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah private vehicles might get cleaner but they're not going anywhere soon. Plenty of UK places don't have good/effective public transport links and that isn't changing anytime soon, a sudden outright ban on private vehicles would genuinely have folk out rioting

Where would people get taxis? What about traders and contractors? Are the folk installing your central heating just going to hoik the boiler and all the pipes onto the old 75 bus? :tongue:

It could not happen in the next few years but what about after that.

They might allow taxis, buses trains, trams and stuff but ban private ownership or rental. It would be depressing
Original post by Anonymous
The other students didn't seem to be bothered. Im just worried about if people might have said that years ago if you told someone petrol and diesel cars will be banned you probably would get laughed at but hopefully they will stay.

Unless your teacher moonlights as a v senior and indiscreet government planning officer it's as LM said, wishful thinking.

Many motoring predications get laughed at but this one wouldn't, most people knew fine well we WOULD ban petrol sooner or later, and the banning of the sale of new ones is a far cry from banning them from roads (and for now, 2030 is little more than a political promise from a known liar desperately seeking distractions who likes gimmicks and round numbers)
Reply 6
Unless your teacher moonlights as a v senior and indiscreet government planning officer it's as LM said, wishful thinking.

Many motoring predications get laughed at but this one wouldn't, most people knew fine well we WOULD ban petrol sooner or later, and the banning of the sale of new ones is a far cry from banning them from roads (and for now, 2030 is little more than a political promise from a known liar desperately seeking distractions who likes gimmicks and round numbers)

Hopefully we'll be fine then but still electric cars are going to be boring
Reply 7
Hopefully we'll be fine then but still electric cars are going to be boring

huh?
It could not happen in the next few years but what about after that.

They might allow taxis, buses trains, trams and stuff but ban private ownership or rental. It would be depressing

It's not workable. Where would drivers get taxis from if no one sells cars here? Delivery drivers? Takeaway drivers? They'd likely need to be imported at some huge special cost, who would service them or sell them fuel? no money in owning a garage any more.. Trams are far too rare to be really mentioned for the UK and many places have crap buses and trains.... removing private vehicles simply isn't an option. Also think how many larger companies would struggle to operate if a disruption to public transport meant almost NONE of their staff could come to work, rather than a few? Something like a bus driver strike could literally cripple the country.

Any attempt to say 'oh business owners and taxi drivers can drive' and watch how many people register as a business or taxi driver the next day. :rolleyes:
I’d be quite happy with only public transport (at a much better level than it is now) or fully electric cars/buses.
But unlikely it will happen in our lifetime if ever
Don't worry, this will never happen.
Teachers will be banned then you will have to rely on TSR and copying from each other.
Wow, She must be a "great teacher"!
Original post by 999tigger
Teachers will be banned then you will have to rely on TSR and copying from each other.

HAHAHA, best comment
your teacher sounds a couple of vertebrae short of a spinal column
I won't lie it does seem kind of nice to think cars will go green. Buuuuut...
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/20951807/electric-vehicles-battery-recycling
This article talks about the downsides of electric vehicles. Oof.
It's not workable. Where would drivers get taxis from if no one sells cars here? Delivery drivers? Takeaway drivers? They'd likely need to be imported at some huge special cost, who would service them or sell them fuel? no money in owning a garage any more.. Trams are far too rare to be really mentioned for the UK and many places have crap buses and trains.... removing private vehicles simply isn't an option. Also think how many larger companies would struggle to operate if a disruption to public transport meant almost NONE of their staff could come to work, rather than a few? Something like a bus driver strike could literally cripple the country.

Any attempt to say 'oh business owners and taxi drivers can drive' and watch how many people register as a business or taxi driver the next day. :rolleyes:

Garages might open but banned from the public only to taxi drivers and they aren’t allowed to be used personally
Original post by 999tigger

Thats pretty jokes tbf
Original post by black tea
Don't worry, this will never happen.

Hopefully it won't ever
Original post by GabiAbi84
I’d be quite happy with only public transport (at a much better level than it is now) or fully electric cars/buses.
But unlikely it will happen in our lifetime if ever

Are you taking the piss?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending