The Student Room Group

Transferring university mid year

I’m wondering whether I can now November transfer to another university that runs the same course. I am level 5 .
Original post by Blake2010
I’m wondering whether I can now November transfer to another university that runs the same course. I am level 5 .

Up to the university. 99.9999999999% no.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Up to the university. 99.9999999999

If I withdraw now would I be able to join at this level next September to the other university or would there be a shortfall in funding? Basically I don’t want to pay my current university (it’s not really a uni it’s a university centre in a college) any more money as I don’t think the education is good enough
If I withdraw now would I be able to join at this level next September to the other university or would there be a shortfall in funding? Basically I don’t want to pay my current university (it’s not really a uni it’s a university centre in a college) any more money as I don’t think the education is good enough

Are you a home student or international?
Have you used any uni funding before? Any foundation or previous attempts at a degree including OU?
Whats the course?

Hi @Blake2010 :smile: Do you want to study the same course or switch? Do you have an idea about which universities interest you? Transfer in schemes will vary university to university, but you can narrow down your choices and get in touch with their admissions departments who will be able to advise you on your best option to study with them. You'll then be able to decide between those choices and what you think is the best fit for you at the time :smile: Hopefully this helps, and good luck! - Charlie
Reply 5
Are you a home student or international?
Have you used any uni funding before? Any foundation or previous attempts at a degree including OU?
Whats the course?

I’ve used two years of funking I’m in the uk. I have 2 L4 and I’m currently doing L5. The standard is so low I’m certain I won’t have the knowledge I need to top up at level 6 so I want to switch now while I have chance to catch up
I’ve used two years of funking I’m in the uk. I have 2 L4 and I’m currently doing L5. The standard is so low I’m certain I won’t have the knowledge I need to top up at level 6 so I want to switch now while I have chance to catch up

If you’ve done 2 years at l4 and are partway through l5 then you’ve got 3 years of previous study.

The previous study calculation doesn’t consider whether previous study was funded or not or whether you completed the year. Whether you finish this year or not will not affect your funding for next year (but might affect your chances of being admission onto a new degree)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by University of Chester
Hi @Blake2010 :smile: Do you want to study the same course or switch? Do you have an idea about which universities interest you? Transfer in schemes will vary university to university, but you can narrow down your choices and get in touch with their admissions departments who will be able to advise you on your best option to study with them. You'll then be able to decide between those choices and what you think is the best fit for you at the time :smile: Hopefully this helps, and good luck! - Charlie

Thanks. I have 2 L4 and am now L5, I would transfer to any other course that I’d qualify for to get away from where I am. But I think it’s too late for this year so I’m considering withdrawing but not sure how this affects my loans etc
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
If you’ve done 2 years at l4 and are partway through l5 then you’ve got 3 years of previous study.

The previous study calculation doesn’t consider whether previous study was funded or not or whether you completed the year. Whether you finish this year or not will not affect your funding for next year (but might affect your chances of being admission onto a new degree)

Thank you, situation is pretty hopeless then, my doctor has signed me off until the New Year as this is making me ill with worry. I should have acted sooner 🤷*♀️
Thank you, situation is pretty hopeless then, my doctor has signed me off until the New Year as this is making me ill with worry. I should have acted sooner 🤷*♀️

If you have evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons for having to repeat/leave a year then that year can be excluded from the previous study calculation. You’d need evidence (letters from doctors/social workers/course provider) explaining how illness interfered with your studies.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
If you have evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons for having to repeat/leave a year then that year can be excluded from the previous study calculation. You’d need evidence (letters from doctors/social workers/course provider) explaining how illness interfered with your studies.

Thank you, i may have to go down that route unfortunately

You have an issue with regards to funding.
I dont believe any uni in 99.99% of cases will let you transfer mid year, but you cna always ask.
Because you have already started your second year, then you would only have funding available for year 3. Universities do not like to do transfers for Y3 students and prefer to start transfers from Y1 or Y2. As it stands you do not have the funding for that.

Your one chance may be to get depressed and have a diagnosis from the GP due to cv19 and the course your anxiety and depression roise, such that it forced you to leave your studies. You then apply for uni transfers as per UCAS and your targets choices in the normal UCAS way and hope your CPR claim comes through which will let you fund from Y2. Thats the only way I see it working for you.
Reply 12
You have an issue with regards to funding.
I dont believe any uni in 99.99% of cases will let you transfer mid year, but you cna always ask.
Because you have already started your second year, then you would only have funding available for year 3. Universities do not like to do transfers for Y3 students and prefer to start transfers from Y1 or Y2. As it stands you do not have the funding for that.

Your one chance may be to get depressed and have a diagnosis from the GP due to cv19 and the course your anxiety and depression roise, such that it forced you to leave your studies. You then apply for uni transfers as per UCAS and your targets choices in the normal UCAS way and hope your CPR claim comes through which will let you fund from Y2. Thats the only way I see it working for you.

I have a note from GP now for depression so it may have to go that way, I’m reluctant to do that but the advise is useful thank you 🙏
Thank you, i may have to go down that route unfortunately

Another thing to look into is part time study. The rules on previous study for part time courses are a lot more flexible.

What course are you studying at the moment? I’m guessing you’re happy with your subject just not your course provider from what you’ve said?
I have a note from GP now for depression so it may have to go that way, I’m reluctant to do that but the advise is useful thank you 🙏

Reluctatnt to do that why? Your only play otherwise is to leave with no degree or continue. Your choice. I agree with PQ anyway.
Most people choose a degree and complete at first attempt, so theres obviously some poor research and decision making going on if you have picked duds twice. The point is if you get the chance to move again, do your research.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
Another thing to look into is part time study. The rules on previous study for part time courses are a lot more flexible.

What course are you studying at the moment? I’m guessing you’re happy with your subject just not your course provider from what you’ve said?

The course is great, Conservation, just the level of teaching is like L3. A exam last year, no kidding, I could have done at 5, it was pictures of birds with a book of birds to use to ID, more like snap! Things aren’t improving I will look at complete idiot at L6 if I don’t get some proper education soon! If I moved to part time would another uni accept me at this stage?
Reply 16
Reluctatnt to do that why? Your only play otherwise is to leave with no degree or continue. Your choice. I agree with PQ anyway.
Most people choose a degree and complete at first attempt, so theres obviously some poor research and decision making going on if you have picked duds twice. The point is if you get the chance to move again, do your research.

I’ve not picked duds I did two level 4’s as both subjects interested me and so I decided which I preferred. The problems we had last year I’d hoped had been ironed out. The entire group complained (every lecturer left mid semester and weren’t replaced for weeks) and things were promised to improve fir this year. Once again the entire group is complaining but most aren’t going onto L6 or postgraduate study like myself. If I was happy with a FdSc that would be fine but I want to top up to BSc.
I’ve not picked duds I did two level 4’s as both subjects interested me and so I decided which I preferred. The problems we had last year I’d hoped had been ironed out. The entire group complained (every lecturer left mid semester and weren’t replaced for weeks) and things were promised to improve fir this year. Once again the entire group is complaining but most aren’t going onto L6 or postgraduate study like myself. If I was happy with a FdSc that would be fine but I want to top up to BSc.

Ok hope your plan works for you.
Reply 18
Ok hope your plan works for you.

Thank you, you guys have been very helpful. One last question, I have racing brain this morning sorry, but if I am ahead of the class and ask via email the lecturer to answer a question, is it ok for them to say no, we are nit doing that until next year so you’ll have to wait?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending