The Student Room Group

Please help urgently !!!! Don't know what to pick for A levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yh there is alot of different types of artists out there. Maybe do some research on the games industry and what artists jobs are around. Thats your strongest bet. Even looking into animation.

Art station is a good website to see peoples art and most people on their post their own work that has gone towards a game that they are apart of design it with the company they are working with. I wouldnt worry too too much tho. University can ve quite good. As I'm going staffs uni and doing the foundation year eith concept art, it means you need less Higher grades/ucas points to get in. Just means u stay at uni for 4 years instead of 3. But ik with the foundation, u do more traditional art in the first year - you can look what modules u will be doing and the ones you can choose to do as well.

As long as you do plenty of research on concept art and what it means for you as an artist and for the other arty jobs out there. And looking at the universities that are best in the games area.

Ik they do a TIGA rewards, that is to do with games and I think they did it for 2020 last month. If you can find the one that is the category for university, then that will give u ideas of what uni may be the most beneficial. :smile: think the reward is for the best "educational institution". Not all the unis on there do concept art tho its just to do with games courses as a whole if that makes sense. But the courses as awhile, will give u a stronger idea on what you can do.
Original post by Kelsoz
A games/media diploma course can be very beneficial at a college. Concept artists are very common for the games and flim industry. I did a UAL level 3 in creative media and technology at college and im going university next year to do a degree in Concept art. :smile: For A levels, I think English literature/language would be good because as a concept artist, you have to show the story in your drawings, especially for environmental. It may help with you ideas to expand with your art. Also doing Art as well as learning how to do traditional art (so drawing on paper e.c.t.) will be very good. With a games/media course, you may get to learn how to do 3D modelling on a software called 3Ds max or maya. Meaning that if you enjoy it, you can become a more 3d concept artist if you wanted too. If you are unsure, I would contact maybe a university that does a BA (hons) degree in concept such as Staffordshire uni for example. They may help you get on the right track on what to choose. Most unis have a enquiry email on their contacts section on their websites. A levels are very exam based and as a concept artist, exams aren't really that important in that field. Its mostly to do with your artwork and doing essays and presentations from time to time. It will help you to feel more confident going to university as you won't be doing exams up there, so doing a levels, may overwhelm you as university will be quite different. Hope this helps!

Original post by uaryrius
thank you for your reply!! i really want to work in the art industry and do something like concept design maybe?? but i don't know what goes well with art a level and i wanted a second career option if art doesn't work out for some reason, but im not sure what that career would be honestly? i do find biology somewhat interesting so that's another reason i would like to choose it

Hi @uaryrius

It's great to hear you're potentially interested in a career in Concept Art. As @Kelsoz mentioned, we do run a BA (Hons) Concept Art for Games and Film degree. The entry requirements for this degree are BBC at A-Level but it doesn't specify you need to have studied any particular subjects.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to put you in touch with our Course Leader who can answer any of your questions - just drop me a DM and I'll pass your details on and ask him to reply to you directly.

Thanks and good luck with your decision! :smile:

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest