The Student Room Group

Careers Working With Children? (Psychology Degree)

Hi,

I'm currently studying Psychology at university but am hoping to get into a career working with children in some way. I know there is the option of Educational Psychologist but other than this what other options are there?

I want to keep them open since me and my partner are hoping to move somewhere abroad in the future, even if just for a little bit.

Thank you all! xx
In random order

School teacher
Nursery worker
Childcare provider
Special needs children's support worker
Nanny
Babysitter
Children's toy maker

You will need a full up to date DBS check done for most of them. Apart from the toy designer job. See if your local council can help you or try contacting local primary schools, nurseries and relevant organisations directly via email or phone etc.
Moving abroad can complicate things.

In the UK, I think you would only need a NCFE Level 3 qualification to work with children, but to teach, you will need something more advanced. The thing with teaching qualfiications is that most would be recognised in the country they are issued, so a PGCE might help you get a teaching job abroad, but alone should not be enough.

If you want to look into the requirements for jobs involving kids, you might want to check out National Careers Service. I'm sure you're qualified for most of them, but you may need an extra qualification to secure the role you have in mind, considering a psychology degree by itself is not enough to work with kids.

Most jobs involving psychology to my knowledge require you to do a PhD (or at least a master's), which seems more expensive that it's worth. Having said that, you should be able to let you be involved with the same sort of work anywhere in the world - usually research based.

It might make things easier if you research the job requirements in the country you intend to move to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending