The Student Room Group

Legal age to purchase

Christmas Crackers are classed as category 1 fireworks
Ok, so the legal age to buy Christmas crackers in the UK is 12

I understand that proper fireworks require proof of ID at 18
but why do you need to be 18 to purchase Christmas Crackers in a franchise store in the UK
Probably just a shop policy to make checking ID easier.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
Probably just a shop policy to make checking ID easier.

Thank you for your response,
But surely if there is already a legal limit in place, the shop should adhere to the law- eg party poppers can legally be sold at 16 so why must you be 18.
Can shops create their own age limits without informing the customers on the item?
Does this also apply to DVDs eg a rated-12, do you also have to be 18
Original post by onomatope
Thank you for your response,
But surely if there is already a legal limit in place, the shop should adhere to the law- eg party poppers can legally be sold at 16 so why must you be 18.
Can shops create their own age limits without informing the customers on the item?

it's fine since it's higher. it's just them being more cautious since teens r very dangerous and think it's funny. yes they're allowed.
Reply 4
Original post by csmh1912
it's fine since it's higher. it's just them being more cautious since teens r very dangerous and think it's funny. yes they're allowed.

Thanks for your response,
It just seems a bit of a huge jump between the legal age (12) and the required age (18), especially for something like christmas crackers
Reply 5
It just seems a bit of a huge jump between the legal age (12) and the required age (18), especially for something like christmas crackers

If you don't like it, don't shop there.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
If you don't like it, don't shop there.

Im not, I was just wondering because I saw some kids who were 17 getting turned down from buying Crackers and was wondering, but when I googled it, the age was 12 to purchase so I thought I would ask on here to see if people knew about it.

yes but 12 is quite young... some 12 yr olds would buy loads and do something stupid with them I'm sure. it doesn't really matter does it?
Im not, I was just wondering because I saw some kids who were 17 getting turned down from buying Crackers and was wondering, but when I googled it, the age was 12 to purchase so I thought I would ask on here to see if people knew about it.

yeah that's odd.... 15/6 would be good but then again as I said before... hooligans. I'm 15 and I don't really care?? it's just a cracker aha
Reply 9
Original post by csmh1912
yes but 12 is quite young... some 12 yr olds would buy loads and do something stupid with them I'm sure. it doesn't really matter does it?

I was just curious thats all
Reply 10
Yep, you have to be 18 to purchase in a large shop (eg Wilkos). Some people I saw were turned away when they proved they were 17
Reply 11
Provisional driving licence and student (college?) ID I think.
If Christmas crackers are a category 1 fire work my ******** must be category 3.

Quick Reply

Latest