The Student Room Group

Help taking masters?

I currently take a bsc in sport and exercise science and was wondering if I could take a masters in clinical psychology. I have had different answers on different websites. Any help would be welcome
Hi there,it’s possible especially if you have a passion in psychology...clinical psychology is about counseling patients you know
Original post by Jaredlinter
I currently take a bsc in sport and exercise science and was wondering if I could take a masters in clinical psychology. I have had different answers on different websites. Any help would be welcome

Have you considered Sports Psychology?
In order to be a psychologist (sports or clinical) you need to have a BPS accredited undergrad psychology degree or conversion course, followed by the doctorate (clinical) or masters (sports) to qualify. It is very competitive to get on the course to be a clinical psychologist and you need a lot of relevant work experience. Sports psychologist jobs will not be common to come by and you would need to be a trainee in the first couple of years
Reply 4
Going from a sports degree to a masters in clinical psychology is a doable route. However, you wouldn’t have the BPS accreditation, as you haven’t done an Psychology degree at Undergrad, you’ll actually find it hard getting a job within the clinical side. You could always try trainee roles, which offer you a place at university do go study the clinical side and acquire the accreditation you would need. In my personal experience, I do not have a BPS accreditation, however I did a masters in a Psychology course - in terms of employment you’re limited. Especially if it’s clinical, an Msc is not sufficient without the accreditation. Thus, possibly a trainee role would suit you better? Have a look online :smile:

Hi there,

I am currently a second year student studying Psychology at Surrey. It is possible to go down that route, however it becomes tricky like the other responses have said as you wouldn't have a BPS accredited course. So if you wanted to go down that route, you may have to think about doing a conversion course where you can get that accreditation or do another degree in psychology first. I think it also depends on what the universities are asking for, so maybe it's best to have a look around and look at the entry requirements of each universities and even contact their applicant team to discuss with them about your options.

As another response have said, clinical psychology is very competitive! However don't let that put you off, there's no harm in going down that route and have a passion to study it. However, you do need a lot of relevant work experience, so if you want to study clinical psychology maybe look into volunteering at places that can help your clinical psychology application.

I hope this helps,

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Becca

Different universities have different entry requirements but generally they're looking for an undergraduate in Psychology, with some also accepting degrees in social sciences. You may find you need to complete a conversion course in Psychology before moving onto the Clinical Psychology MSc.
Original post by Eric Kelvin
Hi there,it’s possible especially if you have a passion in psychology...clinical psychology is about counseling patients you know

Clinical psychologists and counsellors, whilst sometimes working with similar client groups, have very different roles
Reply 7
thank you a lotwhat kind of work experience would be relevant?(I have done voluntary work in special education on many occasions, would that be suitable?)
thank you a lotwhat kind of work experience would be relevant?(I have done voluntary work in special education on many occasions, would that be suitable?)

You don't need anything specific for a conversion course, but the Clinical Psychology doctorate requires relevant, paid work experience such as working as an assistant psychologist, support worker, research assistant etc. Anything that gives you practical clinical experience.

Quick Reply

Latest