The Student Room Group

Cancellation of exams and its impact on offer rates

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mixty
Given what happened last year, I'm struggling to think of how CAGs might provide any additional information. They may as well give out unconditional offers from now!

I'd been hoping that they wouldn't do CAGs again (apparently a bit too optimistic). I think unconditionals might be a good idea but we'll see what Cambridge does
Reply 21
Original post by Theloniouss
I'd been hoping that they wouldn't do CAGs again (apparently a bit too optimistic). I think unconditionals might be a good idea but we'll see what Cambridge does

highly doubt that. Cambridge is all about traditions. don't think they will go out of their traditions to make unconditional offers. even though CAGS are useless given teachers will want their students to achieve the best unis, and they were the same ppl who made the UCAS predictions so they will probably stand by what they thought. but still. Cambridge might just do it for the sake of keeping traditions
Original post by vince0us
highly doubt that. Cambridge is all about traditions. don't think they will go out of their traditions to make unconditional offers. even though CAGS are useless given teachers will want their students to achieve the best unis, and they were the same ppl who made the UCAS predictions so they will probably stand by what they thought. but still. Cambridge might just do it for the sake of keeping traditions

I'm not sure that's true. They've already given out offers pre-interview this year.
Reply 23
I'm not sure that's true. They've already given out offers pre-interview this year.

I don't think they will break more traditions. I was super surprised to hear that news. no way they will break more. I reckon they will simply make conditional offers tougher, just like what imperial did with me
I don't think they will break more traditions. I was super surprised to hear that news. no way they will break more. I reckon they will simply make conditional offers tougher, just like what imperial did with me

It isn't really a "tradition" to give out conditional offers. It wasn't long ago Cambridge gave out EE offers.
Can I ask what an EE offer is?
Original post by WhiteBlueBell
Can I ask what an EE offer is?

As in an offer of EE, you only have to get two E grades.
So as you might have heard just now that A levels are officially cancelled. To avoid taking in too many people like last year,(inflated predictions), what do you think all the colleges will do with their offers? Just fearing that they might now start picking people who would've been given an offer but not anymore.

Legally unis have to treat applications received before jan 15th equally so they are not allowed to change their admissions process now(ie they can’t make it so it would be easier to get an offer in October then in January) that being said there’s not really a way to enforce that properly so who knows.
Original post by Mixty
Given what happened last year, I'm struggling to think of how CAGs might provide any additional information. They may as well give out unconditional offers from now!

Exactly. To be blunt, if a pupil receives an offer from Oxbridge, every school is going to award them the CAGs they need to confirm the place. Why would they not?
Reply 29
Original post by Southcoaster747
Exactly. To be blunt, if a pupil receives an offer from Oxbridge, every school is going to award them the CAGs they need to confirm the place. Why would they not?

...especially since the schools themselves aren't operating as normal, and have not really done since the end of the spring term. Setting aside any obvious biases, how could the teachers even make a valid and reliable assessment for this cohort, with the best will in the world? This is quite different from the class of 2020.

Not every school
Not every school

Why would a school deliberately prevent one of their student from taking up a place at Oxbridge? They'd probably end up in court, given how disrupted the current Y13's education has been.
Why would a school deliberately prevent one of their student from taking up a place at Oxbridge? They'd probably end up in court, given how disrupted the current Y13's education has been.

Because CAGs were supposed to be an assessment of a student's ability, not the grades that student needed for uni. You can't sue your school for thinking you're not an A* student.
Because CAGs were supposed to be an assessment of a student's ability, not the grades that student needed for uni. You can't sue your school for thinking you're not an A* student.

True in normal circumstances. But the CAG system isn't normal.

If a school predicted an A* in September of Y13, Cambridge make an offer after the admission process, and then the school cuts that grade in the CAG in the middle of a highly disruptive pandemic then it would inevitably trigger a challenge. We saw that last year.

Such threats can have an effect, if only because institutions want to ward off the bad publicity, such as last year when a lots of legal challenges were raised to the CAG algorithm.

I'm sure there's the odd school that would seek to deny one of their pupils an Oxbridge place on some sort of principle, even when said pupil received an offer.

But the percentage would be vanishingly small, as most school would absolutely love to be able to say one of their pupils had won a place at Oxbridge.
Reply 34
Well we can see Oxford's offers this year pretty much match their places available. Just as well, since it's now mid-Jan and they still have not made up their minds how they are going to grade this year's students.... I will be very surprised if Cambridge does not follow suit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending