The Student Room Group

struggled academically at A level in the end

I didn’t struggle at the beginning and was achieving grades CCC in Sociology, English literature and Maths. In February Sociology went wrong and started struggling in class, March I was given feedback and I fell ill which lead to all of my subjects being destroyed in class so I got grades BCU in Sociology, English lit and Maths respectively. Decent considering I was suffering from partial memory loss and I dropped out because of that leaving with half an A level. Did I make the right decision by dropping out?
I think thats really impressive considering you were suffering from partial memory loss. i think you did make the right decision as it wouldve been unlikley you couldve gotten the grades up to an acceptable level for unis, apprenticeships etc.. making it pretty much useless. What are doing know/ what are your plans?
Reply 2
Original post by something_orphic
I think thats really impressive considering you were suffering from partial memory loss. i think you did make the right decision as it wouldve been unlikley you couldve gotten the grades up to an acceptable level for unis, apprenticeships etc.. making it pretty much useless. What are doing know/ what are your plans?

maybe forget about studies and uni and do an apprenticeship because I found out the hard way that higher education isn’t for me.
I think apprenticeships r becoming more valuable anyway as too many ppl go to uni and have no work experience. Its probably a good thing you found this out early on. My older brother got himself into so much debt and did 5 years at uni (he kept having to restart)
Reply 4
Original post by something_orphic
I think apprenticeships r becoming more valuable anyway as too many ppl go to uni and have no work experience. Its probably a good thing you found this out early on. My older brother got himself into so much debt and did 5 years at uni (he kept having to restart)

I believe if I was well I could go on to higher education and you have to be careful with written work with every A level that you do and I wasn’t doing this in sociology, I was rushing it and wasn’t keeping on top of it but with the illness (which I don’t want to say what it is) higher education is definitely not for me.
A levels are hard enough for normal healthy people let alone if you have a condition. I am sure if you were well you could go onto higher education. I wish the best of luck :smile:
Hey man. I just wanted to say I was in a similar situation to yours, a few years ago. As someone who's come away from it, my advice is to come up with a plan for whats next.

You have so much time on your hands, right now. Invest it into a solid plan covering what you want to do and where you want to go from here. Then start thinking about how you're going to get there.

Never regret any decision you make. Rather, reflect and use it to help you move forward. I wish you all the best 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending