The Student Room Group

Provisional Driving License

I am 16 y.o and 5 months. I tried to apply for provisional driving license and at some point in the application it says As you are under 17 and are not receiving personal independence payment, you will only receive a provisional moped licence.” What should I do ??
I’m not 100% sure but I think you have to be like 3 months away from your 17th birthday for a (car) driving license so 16yrs 10 months? But I’m not 100% sure
Reply 2
Original post by LuciiST7
I am 16 y.o and 5 months. I tried to apply for provisional driving license and at some point in the application it says As you are under 17 and are not receiving personal independence payment, you will only receive a provisional moped licence.” What should I do ??

You can apply when you are 15 years and 9 months old :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by northener_3006
I’m not 100% sure but I think you have to be like 3 months away from your 17th birthday for a (car) driving license so 16yrs 10 months? But I’m not 100% sure

16yrs 9 months sorry. @Joshkav is right, my maths is terrible today 😂🤦🏻*♀️
Reply 4

That's correct, is it not? What's the problem here?
Original post by Joshkav
You can apply when you are 16 years and 9 months old :smile:

No. 15 years and 9 months.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
That's correct, is it not?

No. 15 years and 9 months.

I know, but considering he isn't claiming PIP, I gave him an answer aimed at his situation, that he can claim when he is 16 years and 9 months old :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Joshkav
I know, but considering he isn't claiming PIP, I gave him an answer aimed at his situation, that he can claim when he is 16 years and 9 months old :smile:

What you've just written makes no sense. You can apply for a provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months regardless of receiving PIP.
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
What you've just written makes no sense. You can apply for a provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months regardless of receiving PIP.

Sorry, my mistake, just checked. Thought you could only apply when your were 15 years and 9 months old if you were claiming PIP. I know you can only drive a car when you are 17 if you are not claiming PIP :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Joshkav
Sorry, my mistake, just checked. Thought you could only apply when your were 15 years and 9 months old if you were claiming PIP. I know you can only drive a car when you are 17 if you are not claiming PIP :smile:

Correct.

Don't know where this "16 years and 9 months" figure has come from as it's completely false. The entitlement becomes live on your 17th birthday, not three months beforehand.
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom
Correct.

Don't know where this "16 years and 9 months" figure has come from as it's completely false. The entitlement becomes live on your 17th birthday, not three months beforehand.

Just thought of it like the 15 years and 9 months figure, where you can apply 3 months before your birthday. So when you turned 16/17 you can get learning :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Joshkav
Just thought of it like the 15 years and 9 months figure, where you can apply 3 months before your birthday. So when you turned 16/17 you can get learning :smile:

Yeah, no. You're not the only one in the thread to misunderstand that, so not sure where this myth has originated...
Original post by IWMTom
Yeah, no. You're not the only one in the thread to misunderstand that, so not sure where this myth has originated...

Honestly, I have no idea why I had that info in my head. Honestly don't know, LOL.

Thanks for correcting me though :smile:

I think you need to wait until you’re 16 and 9 months old to get a provisional license to drive a car
Reply 13
Original post by rc050320
I think you need to wait until you’re 16 and 9 months old to get a provisional license to drive a car

False.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending