The Student Room Group

UK Spouse Visa accommodation requirement

Hi all.
Me and my wife are from Hong Kong. Recently, I have received a postgraduate offer from a UK university, and I wish to bring along my wife to UK and settle indefinetly. I own a British citizenship but my wife do not, and therefore I wish to help her to apply for a UK spouse visa.
I am aware that to apply the spouse visa, I will need a proof of having an occupied exclusively location, at least a room for a couple, with good condition. The problem is, I have never been to UK, so I do not own a UK address, and neither there are anyone who can lend me an address. Even worse is that, the lockdown seems to further disallowing me to be able to rent a house remotely from HK. This makes me very frustrating.
I am thinking, will it be possible to use the postgraduate accommodation (eg. apartment for couples) as the address proof in the spouse visa application? Or is there a better way to meet the accommodation requirement?
Original post by isaiah111
Hi all.
Me and my wife are from Hong Kong. Recently, I have received a postgraduate offer from a UK university, and I wish to bring along my wife to UK and settle indefinetly. I own a British citizenship but my wife do not, and therefore I wish to help her to apply for a UK spouse visa.
I am aware that to apply the spouse visa, I will need a proof of having an occupied exclusively location, at least a room for a couple, with good condition. The problem is, I have never been to UK, so I do not own a UK address, and neither there are anyone who can lend me an address. Even worse is that, the lockdown seems to further disallowing me to be able to rent a house remotely from HK. This makes me very frustrating.
I am thinking, will it be possible to use the postgraduate accommodation (eg. apartment for couples) as the address proof in the spouse visa application? Or is there a better way to meet the accommodation requirement?

i'm not an expert in this, but I doubt University provided PG accommodation would count. I suspect you'd have to rent privately. It might be better for you to come first and get settled and your wife to follow.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
i'm not an expert in this, but I doubt University provided PG accommodation would count. I suspect you'd have to rent privately. It might be better for you to come first and get settled and your wife to follow.

The requirement in housing does intrigue me at the moment. I originally planned to go ahead and rent an apartment, then return to HK and pick her up. But, again, the lockdown and quarantine issues make that kind of difficult.
You have quite a while to sort out an address, spouse visas take about 3 months to go through so you would be looking to apply around June. I believe the postgraduate couple's accommodation should be fine as your proof of address although you will need to confirm it with the provider.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
You have quite a while to sort out an address, spouse visas take about 3 months to go through so you would be looking to apply around June. I believe the postgraduate couple's accommodation should be fine as your proof of address although you will need to confirm it with the provider.

Thank you! I think I may have to ask my university, and perhaps the UK Council, throughoutly regarding the matter. I have a few other applications that are yet to have a result, which might further agitate my plan as well. Finger crossed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending