The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

BAME in UCL

I’ve been offered a place at UCL and I really love the Uni, but I’m worried about the small amount of black/Asian students there. It would make me feel more comfortable if I knew I wasn’t the only one pls :smile:
Wdym UCL is diverse af
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been offered a place at UCL and I really love the Uni, but I’m worried about the small amount of black/Asian students there. It would make me feel more comfortable if I knew I wasn’t the only one pls :smile:

Yh I was offered a place and I’m black lol. Haven’t heard any others tho
Reply 3

I got an offer. Wouldn’t UCL be diverse cause it’s in London tho?

Put two and two together. Very high ranking uni in London is bound to be diverse lol. Don't stress it.

Go on the university website and look at their statistics. Diversity quotas are public information, although that should not be a reason for you to decide whether or not you accept a university. Why would you feel more comfortable if there were more black or Asian students there? That logic is inherently racist, since it implies that you might not be comfortable if it was just any other race.

Also, UCL is extremely diverse, as I live in the area.
Original post by therationalbeing
Go on the university website and look at their statistics. Diversity quotas are public information, although that should not be a reason for you to decide whether or not you accept a university. Why would you feel more comfortable if there were more black or Asian students there? That logic is inherently racist, since it implies that you might not be comfortable if it was just any other race.

I don’t think this person meant to come across “racist”, it’s just about finding people to connect with etc. I myself come from a French background and whilst it’s not the same as race, it’s nice to find people of the same background to speak and talk with from time to time, whilst still making a wide variety of friends from different backgrounds/ethnicities/races :smile:
Reply 7
I agree. Taken the wrong way. Sometimes you feel more comfortable around people that are similar to you. They’re not saying they only want friends like them
Is this the same person asking about other unis at the same time for the same thing thing?
Original post by therationalbeing

It isn't "inherently racist", you're just ignorant if you dont see that diversity is an important factor for ethnic minorities when applying to university, something other races dont have to consider.
Don't know if this will help...

https://studentsunionucl.org/make-change/representing-you/who-can-help-you/bme-students

https://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/equality-diversity-inclusion/black-minority-ethnic

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/chemical-engineering/equality-diversity-inclusion/black-asian-minority-ethnic-bame-support

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/equality-diversity-inclusion/sites/equality-diversity-inclusion/files/edi_strategy_2015-2020.pdf

18% of students at UCL are black

18%

UCL is comprised overall of exactly 50:50 women and men, 18% Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) staff and 3.1% disabled staff and yet at senior grades the picture is very different: the percentage of women drops to 33% and the percentage of BME staff falls to 11%; in other words the diversity in these posts is reduced by ...

The very best of luck, OP. I hope you are very happy, whichever university you choose.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
I’m black and have also got an offer at UCL if that means anything lol. Tbh I’m gonna join ACS (Afro-carribean society) so I can find more black friends , I suggest you do the same.
Original post by xosozz
I’m black and have also got an offer at UCL if that means anything lol. Tbh I’m gonna join ACS (Afro-carribean society) so I can find more black friends , I suggest you do the same.

Good move.

You will probably find many other friends from all kinds of different backgrounds, as well.
It isn't "inherently racist", you're just ignorant if you dont see that diversity is an important factor for ethnic minorities when applying to university, something other races dont have to consider.

Right, but why is diversity an important factor? Anyone can make friends with anyone, so as long as you share the same principles. Race or ethnicity should not be a determining factor.
I agree. Taken the wrong way. Sometimes you feel more comfortable around people that are similar to you. They’re not saying they only want friends like them

Perhaps, but that is why I said 'implies'. Indeed, the OP is not being outright prejudice, I am simply questioning why ethnic minorities play a part in accepting a university offer.
Original post by username5517298
Right, but why is diversity an important factor? Anyone can make friends with anyone, so as long as you share the same principles. Race or ethnicity should not be a determining factor.

diversity is most definitely an important factor .... from a black person who was the only black girl in my year in a white school I had a really hard time with racism and I had no one to talk to who would relate. The more diverse the less of a struggle these issues will be. While these issues may not go away it reduces the severity if it and if have others to help u through the struggle too. Literally, speak to any person who went to a predominately white school as a poc, and u will get why diversity is 100 percent an important factor.
Original post by username5517298

girl what ????? diversity is the most important factor after university prestige ... ain't no way I'm going to a predominantly white school again ... what crap was traumatic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending