The Student Room Group

Why do people assume this about me..

For context, I’m a straight teenage girl. A lot of people around me (including my closest friends) assume I’m bi/lesbian and I have NO idea why. I’m shy and have social anxiety and this could be why people assume this; but the thing is I’m shy with everyone, and avoid eye contact with literally everyone.
It makes me upset because my friends (they’re girls) become visibly uncomfortable when I do normal “BFF” behaviour like hugging etc because they assume I’m gonna fall in love with them :frown:
To make matters worse, I think a girl has developed a crush on me and has been starting to text me really lovey dovey UGH

I also don’t dress typical of a girl (hoodies and skinny jeans 24/7 and don’t wear makeup). It’s horrible how people assume things about you from the way you present yourself.

What do I do?
this is so odd. it also sounds like your friends are a bit homophobic if theyre 1) assuming youre lgbt based on what you look like/how you behave and 2) thinking youre gonna fall in love with them just because youre lgbt. if it is really bothering you then i would talk to them, explain that youre not gay and that you dont like the way theyve been treating you. alternatively you could just get a bf, though really you should talk it out with them or get new friends
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
this is so odd. it also sounds like your friends are a bit homophobic if theyre 1) assuming youre lgbt based on what you look like/how you behave and 2) thinking youre gonna fall in love with them just because youre lgbt. if it is really bothering you then i would talk to them, explain that youre not gay and that you dont like the way theyve been treating you. alternatively you could just get a bf, though really you should talk it out with them or get new friends

I think they are, and it’s upsetting tbh :frown:
I’ll definitely talk to them when I have the chance; because of lockdown I decided to leave it until school opens because it would be really messy over text.
Original post by Anonymous
I think they are, and it’s upsetting tbh :frown:
I’ll definitely talk to them when I have the chance; because of lockdown I decided to leave it until school opens because it would be really messy over text.

good idea. hope it goes well- and if it doesn’t then don’t stress, just means these people are not your friends

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending