The Student Room Group

Paramedic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlueLightDriver
For the Trusts that I know about, as long as you meet the initial entry requirements to become an EMT you don't need anything extra that they won't help you to get. You'll study EMT qualifications along the way which replace A Levels/Access course. Progression onto the paramedic route is then based on passing the EMT course, having enough experience, your interview and application, and getting good appraisals from your manager. You'll usually need at least 1 year's experience after qualifying as an EMT.

You need GCSEs A*-C (or whatever that is in numbers) in maths, English and possibly science. Equivalents like functional skills are also accepted. You'll also need to have your B (car) licence for at least a year, and have done your C1 licence - some Trusts will accept a C1 provisional, but you need to have applied which can take a while as you need a medical.

If I could also ask, what was your exact path to getting into the ambulance service from the beginning? Correct me if I am wrong but you can either join as an ACA - spend time working within the trust and then apply to train as an EMT and then eventually apply for Paramedic training. Or alternatively apply as a Apprentice EMT then after completing this and working again for a few years within the trust you can apply for Paramedic training? I'm really trying to find the fastest way to go from no experience within an ambulance service to a Paramedic.
Original post by tyeed
If I could also ask, what was your exact path to getting into the ambulance service from the beginning? Correct me if I am wrong but you can either join as an ACA - spend time working within the trust and then apply to train as an EMT and then eventually apply for Paramedic training. Or alternatively apply as a Apprentice EMT then after completing this and working again for a few years within the trust you can apply for Paramedic training? I'm really trying to find the fastest way to go from no experience within an ambulance service to a Paramedic.

EEAST currently have 2 routes for EMTs to become a paramedic. One does want A Levels and one doesn't.

Yes , you've pretty much summarised the routes. If you go in directly as an apprentice EMT then it will be quicker but it does require more qualifications and experience. Note that London call things different names - their EMT is called EAC (Emergency Ambulance Crew) and their AAP is similar to ACA. For other services, some do an AAP route which is the same as the EMT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending