The Student Room Group

Can I still have fun living with my parents?

Heya!

I will be going into university this year, and my family can't afford to pay my living expenses (living in accommodations).

I want to have the uni experience life I normally see on yt, where you make a good friendship group and they will be there for life, as well as parties and fun in general (not living studies out, because those are very important).

I want to know if I can still have that, even though I will be living with my parents in the first year and if I move to accommodations on my second year, will it be harder to make friends? Especially because all of the lessons will be online and I won't have any contact with people.
Original post by Anonymous
Heya!

I will be going into university this year, and my family can't afford to pay my living expenses (living in accommodations).

I want to have the uni experience life I normally see on yt, where you make a good friendship group and they will be there for life, as well as parties and fun in general (not living studies out, because those are very important).

I want to know if I can still have that, even though I will be living with my parents in the first year and if I move to accommodations on my second year, will it be harder to make friends? Especially because all of the lessons will be online and I won't have any contact with people.

It depends on how strict your parents is! Are they the "Be home at 11.30pm" parents? If so, you would miss out the nightlife fun!
Original post by Anonymous
Heya!

Hi there!

Commuting is a very viable option for many students for financial reasons, normally we would advise that you make the best decision for you. Commuting also doesn't mean that you won't make friends, its entirely possible if you connect with people on your course or doing clubs and societies. Further, while we hope that the situation will have changed by the time you start your course, COVID-19 is very real and living at home is increasingly something our current students are choosing to do.

Living in Accommodation can be also beneficial, you are able to connect with a wider range of people because your seeing them on a more regular basis especially those you live with. Also if you live a fair distance form your university and it would be a particularly long commute, living in the very place you study can mean that you don't loose any study hours to commuting. Last, again while we very much hope the situation has changed by the time you start, should universities open up again to in person teaching but covid remains an issue, you might want to consider how much of a risk repeated back and forth travel might pose to you. And if if would, would living closer to uni be better for you?

Ultimately its about what works for you and commuting does not mean that you loose out on social aspects of uni in too many ways as long as you are willing to open up to other options such as societies.

I wish you all the best in starting your course in September
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending