The Student Room Group

Best device to get internet connection?

Good morning Folks A friend of mine has just moved into a new property. However, he cannot get internet access when he is in some of the rooms of his new home. Does he have to buy some sort of 'dongle' to get the required connection? If so, can you recommend anything? Thank you
Original post by geek84
Good morning Folks A friend of mine has just moved into a new property. However, he cannot get internet access when he is in some of the rooms of his new home. Does he have to buy some sort of 'dongle' to get the required connection? If so, can you recommend anything? Thank you

Powerline adaptors are usually the best option.
Reply 2
Thanks
Original post by geek84

Wifi boosters that you can plug into the socket are quite good too.
Sometimes, just fairly small changes to the position of the router (the box provided by the ISP that connects to the outside world) can result in nice improvements to the wi-fi reach.

I use Cisco switches and Cisco AP's in my home to extend internet reach.

The switches for wired connections and the AP's for wireless.

Used business spec Cisco gigabit switches cost from about £20 on ebay. They don't need configuration to work. Although some basic confiuration helps to make them work better.

The AP's cost about £8 used on ebay. They do require configuration to work. And they are fussy about the USB to serial console cable adapters that you use. Either get a mate to config it. Or buy the right console cables for about £15 and google how to config them.

Cisco business grade networking gear is great stuff. Built to last years and years. The HP Procurve stuff is good too.
Reply 6
Hi Folks

Many thanks indeed for all your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending