The Student Room Group

I have lost passion for my course, what do I do?

I started studying Spanish & Japanese at Cardiff Uni in September 2020. I am not deferring due to poor mental health & hospital visits. Since I returned home for Christmas, I have lost all passion for the languages course, which is upsetting because it was my dream course for so long. I have been considering studying Psychology instead (so any insight would be helpful). Has anyone else ended up disliking their course, but were able to enjoy it later and return to it at a later date? I am really lost :0
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IsabelleB02
I started studying Spanish & Japanese at Cardiff Uni in September 2020. I am not deferring due to poor mental health & hospital visits. Since I returned home for Christmas, I have lost all passion for the languages course, which is upsetting because it was my dream course for so long. I have been considering studying Psychology instead (so any insight would be helpful). Has anyone else ended up disliking their course, but were able to enjoy it later and return to it at a later date? I am really lost :0

Hey @IsabelleB02 ! So sorry to hear you're feeling this way :frown: Is it maybe the change in your working space that's affecting you? What it is that has put you off the course do you think?

Please don't be too hard on yourself at the moment. Obviously the world is a really strange place right now, and it's normal to feel de-motivated. You won't have the same 'normal' student experience where you can be on campus and integrate with others, and practice your language skills in real time like most new language students get to do. If you're in your first year right now then you still have a few years ahead of you to hopefully have a more interactive and involved course life. I was a languages student and I really do take my hat off to you all trying to learn remotely- it's such an interactive degree normally!

Get in touch with your academic advisor/course contact at your university, and talk to them about how you're feeling. They may be able to support you- whether this be through helping you stay more engaged and motivated on the course or perhaps discussing alternatives. They can chat to you about your course options and hopefully support you. Chat to your course mates to see how they're getting on too- I bet some of them are feeling a similar way to you. :hugs: At the same time, maybe try to respark that love of languages that drew you to the course. Watch movies in Spanish/Japanese, listen to podcasts and self teach yourself in a way that works for you (I used to read magazines online in French because I much preferred the content!).Take it day by day and don't put too much pressure on yourself to make things perfect right now. Just do your best.

Obviously if you think the course is no longer right for you then that's a decision you'll have to make yourself. There's no 'right' answer in this situation- you should pursue whichever options feels best for you after reflecting on all your options. I think the first thing to do is reach out to your university though, and you can discuss a plan of action and next steps with them.

Take care! Best of luck to you.
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Hey! I’ve always wanted to study animals and go into animal conservation but after the first trimester at uni I’m really loosing interest in science as a whole. I’m in the same boat, I’m very confused and I’m debating on applying for another course to start in 2022.
I’m giving my course another shot and sticking in until the end of the year before making my decision.
I suggest you look at what’s making you unhappy;
is it the course? or the university? or certain lecturers?

You need to just give it that one more shot and really think about why you’re feeling like this.
I’m sorry I can’t really help, I’m still very confused myself. I hope you figure things out !
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending