The Student Room Group

New room

So I feel really crap because I’m moving and my room is so so tiny and I can barely move or make it look nice. Please give me some good tips to make it look nice!
Hi there! I moved to my new flat in July and it is small however I've maximised the space by keeping it simplistic and using neutral tones! Don't put too much furniture in your room or it'll look too crowded. I really hope that this helps. Try getting a plant too as it can make it seem more open and gives the room a pop of colour!
I'd consider taking tips on compact living (a thing the Japanese do regularly). Try to be as minimalistic as possible, and only go for the key essentials you will use 80% of the time. It will make life easier.

I'd include one key poster or painting to hang up (if they allow you to put nails or cellotape posters on the wall). Have a mirror and make sure the walls are as clean as possible. These tips should give the illusion of a larger space.

If you have space under the bed, use it as storage space where possible.

If you like, you can have a small plant in the room to brighten things up (just make sure it gets enough sunlight and you do water it).

If you have a stack of books, keep most of them in the closet, and only pick out the ones that are most essential for your task at hand.

If you want a TV, make sure it's one that could be hanged or doesn't require shelving space. If you have a game console (and it should only be one), keep it on a secure and strong shelf or keep it stored in the TV unit out of sight.

Where possible, stick to a laptop as opposed to a desktop. If it makes life difficult, then go for the desktop. Printers should be placed under the desk or on top of a set of drawers.

Make sure there's good lighting in the room. Bright light (LED) is good, so long it's not blinding.

Keep all other essentials in the closet. If everything essential can't fit in the closet, you have too much.

Keep the room well ventilated, except during the winter. Also draw the curtains where possible to increase exposure to natural light.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'd consider taking tips on compact living (a thing the Japanese do regularly). Try to be as minimalistic as possible, and only go for the key essentials you will use 80% of the time. It will make life easier.

I'd include one key poster or painting to hang up (if they allow you to put nails or cellotape posters on the wall). Have a mirror and make sure the walls are as clean as possible. These tips should give the illusion of a larger space.

If you have space under the bed, use it as storage space where possible.

If you like, you can have a small plant in the room to brighten things up (just make sure it gets enough sunlight and you do water it).

If you have a stack of books, keep most of them in the closet, and only pick out the ones that are most essential for your task at hand.

If you want a TV, make sure it's one that could be hanged or doesn't require shelving space. If you have a game console (and it should only be one), keep it on a secure and strong shelf or keep it stored in the TV unit out of sight.

Where possible, stick to a laptop as opposed to a desktop. If it makes life difficult, then go for the desktop. Printers should be placed under the desk or on top of a set of drawers.

Make sure there's good lighting in the room. Bright light (LED) is good, so long it's not blinding.

Keep all other essentials in the closet. If everything essential can't fit in the closet, you have too much.

Keep the room well ventilated, except during the winter. Also draw the curtains where possible to increase exposure to natural light.

Thank you so much! I kept thinking of buying more furniture and piling up my room, but it’s so tiny. Thanks for these tips, I really appreciate it. At the moment, the walls are stained with blue tack so I need to clear it up now and I will do my best to keep it as simple as possible (which is what I am striving for), thank you!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Plentyothings
Hi there! I moved to my new flat in July and it is small however I've maximised the space by keeping it simplistic and using neutral tones! Don't put too much furniture in your room or it'll look too crowded. I really hope that this helps. Try getting a plant too as it can make it seem more open and gives the room a pop of colour!

Yesss plants make the room look so much more open and comfortable so I will most definitely buy one! Thanks so much for the help!
Original post by iamtee
Thank you so much! I kept thinking of buying more furniture and piling up my room, but it’s so tiny. Thanks for these tips, I really appreciate it. At the moment, the walls are stained with blue tack so I need to clear it up now and I will do my best to keep it as simple as possible (which is what I am striving for), thank you!!!

I'd also go for more versatile furniture where possible. If you already have a chair that comes as part of the furnishing, you might want to consider something a bit more versatile and easy to maintain e.g. bean bags (they're good until you graduate), deck chairs, or zaisus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaisu#:~:text=A%20zaisu%20(%E5%BA%A7%E6%A4%85%E5%AD%90,relaxing%20under%20heated%20kotatsu%20tables.)

If you need small tables around, consider nested side tables (e.g. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/products/?q=nest%20side%20tables), that way you can save up floor space when you need to. Ottomans tend to be great storage spaces, chairs, and foot stools all in one, but they can be a bit pricey.

You'd also would ideally want to keep things simple in small rooms. Too much going on can make the place look cramp.

If you have an ensuite that's cramped as well, consider simple space saving storage e.g. door hanging storage organisers (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8110624), shelves, etc. If you use shelves, you can also use the space below them, maximising floor space.

The fewer bulky furniture you have, the more open the space will look. Have as much bulky furniture you want when you have more space than you will ever need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending