The Student Room Group

Psychology @ UCL or KCL (undergrad)

Hi. I would like to ask which university is better for Psychology. I applied for BSc Psychology with professional placement year at KCL and MSci Psychology at UCL. I would like to become a Clinical Psychologist one day.

Which one should I go for? Any helpful response would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
theres already a discussion for this, i'll put the link :smile:: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5927200
Original post by kingpin26
Hi. I would like to ask which university is better for Psychology. I applied for BSc Psychology with professional placement year at KCL and MSci Psychology at UCL. I would like to become a Clinical Psychologist one day.

Which one should I go for? Any helpful response would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Have you gotten offers for either of them? If so, when?

Both are highly rated universities so you are safe whichever one you choose. The Guardian has Kings as 2nd best in the country for psychology and UCL as 6th so really not much in them. Location wise Kings is on the south of the river and UCL is more central near Russell square.
Original post by willow723
Have you gotten offers for either of them? If so, when?

I got a Kings offer on the 1st of December, just waiting for UCL to reply and I hope they give me an offer as well.
Original post by mike23mike
Both are highly rated universities so you are safe whichever one you choose. The Guardian has Kings as 2nd best in the country for psychology and UCL as 6th so really not much in them. Location wise Kings is on the south of the river and UCL is more central near Russell square.

Thank you so much for your response! Does it matter if the course has a placement year or not? In terms of job prospects and obtaining work experience
Should I expect a rejection?

I’ve applied for UCL Psychology bsc and am waiting to hear back. I know some people who already have offers for that course, and they all received an email yday inviting them to a virtual open day for psych offer holders.

There were two dates; Feb 27 & March 27. Has ucl given out all the psych offers now since they have already sent out invites to the open day? Or how does it work?
Should I expect a rejection?

I’ve applied for UCL Psychology bsc and am waiting to hear back. I know some people who already have offers for that course, and they all received an email yday inviting them to a virtual open day for psych offer holders.

There were two dates; Feb 27 & March 27. Has ucl given out all the psych offers now since they have already sent out invites to the open day? Or how does it work?

I am not too sure either. UCL is known to be relatively slow when it comes to giving out offers. Not hearing from them does not mean that they are going to reject you. It just means that they're taking longer than usual to process all the applications they received. Don't lose hope just yet :smile:
If you want to be a clinical psychologist, I imagine the course with the placement might be better to give you a head start on work experience for when you graduate, perhaps putting you in a better position to get more work experience before applying to the DClinPsy...I don't think where you study your BPS accredited degree matters so much for the DClinPsy admissions. My impression is essentially it's so competitive that there are much more basic and relevant ways to discern between applicants (e.g. work experience, whether they have a masters, a PhD, etc). Both universities are well regarded for psychology though as far as I'm aware.

@Noodlzzz previously studied at UCL and is also more familiar with the clinical route than me, so might be able to also offer some advice on either matter :smile:
As mentioned and depending on the nature of the placement, it may help you a bit more with DClinPsych applications.

I would personally go for you UCL being an Msci, and also the psych department at KCL is located in not the nicest part of London. UCL is also one of the largest and oldest psych departments in Europe I believe, whereas KCL has been going for around 9/10 years as a BSc.

As mentioned I am a UCL psych grad if you have any direct questions for me :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
As mentioned and depending on the nature of the placement, it may help you a bit more with DClinPsych applications.

I would personally go for you UCL being an Msci, and also the psych department at KCL is located in not the nicest part of London. UCL is also one of the largest and oldest psych departments in Europe I believe, whereas KCL has been going for around 9/10 years as a BSc.

As mentioned I am a UCL psych grad if you have any direct questions for me :smile:

Hi this is really helpful thank you very much! I wanted to ask if the MSci in UCL is considered the same as the BSc + MSc by the DClinPsych Admissions? Also, in the fourth year of the MSci, it mentioned a placement in the applied route, is this mainly research experience and no clinical and is it different from the experience you get in the Professional placement year in KCL?
Hi this is really helpful thank you very much! I wanted to ask if the MSci in UCL is considered the same as the BSc + MSc by the DClinPsych Admissions? Also, in the fourth year of the MSci, it mentioned a placement in the applied route, is this mainly research experience and no clinical and is it different from the experience you get in the Professional placement year in KCL?

Sorry can't be of much help I'm afraid! I did my undergrad before the days of them offering the MSci! :smile:
Omg i was waiting for a thread like this and i have the same question in mind
I prefer UCL cause the campuses arent scattered around London and also the surroundings of UCL is beautiful..but KCL psychology campus surroundings look sketchy
Original post by Yas7297
I prefer UCL cause the campuses arent scattered around London and also the surroundings of UCL is beautiful..but KCL psychology campus surroundings look sketchy

Hi thank you for your reply. Are you applying for Psychology at both KCL and UCL too?
Hi thank you for your reply. Are you applying for Psychology at both KCL and UCL too?

Im applying for both, KCL is my alternative if i get rejected at UCL
Original post by Yas7297
Im applying for both, KCL is my alternative if i get rejected at UCL

When did you apply for ucl? And is it pure psych or with Lang sciences / education?
When did you apply for ucl? And is it pure psych or with Lang sciences / education?

Im not applying yet, im a prospective student but i prefer UCL over KCL. I wanna do pure psych

Quick Reply

Latest