The Student Room Group

Official: 2021 A-level and GCSE grades decided by teachers, 'mini-exams' optional

Scroll to see replies

Why is there absolutely no standardisation on the grades?Most teachers overpredict and with last year when they had to stick with the 3 year average they still gave 40% A*/A so imagine this year.The grades are definitely going to be worthless.Might as well let everyone with offers to go to the university they have offers from because the grade issue is ridiculous at this point.
Original post by *Tenacity*
That is such a bloomin insensitive thing to say about your own grandmother. Please take a minute to think about what you've posted before arguing your point across again.

As much as I am stressing about this announcement and what will happen to resit applicants like me, it is important to keep things in perspective. Grades do not define anyone's worth, nor are they more important than another person's life. We must all look after ourselves and our self worth is most important, above all. If you are determined to get somewhere in life, exams results and other difficulties along the way will not stop you from achieving your goal.

On that note, @Evil Homer do you know if we can provide evidence in the form of practice papers we've taken at home as revision to teachers for them to help decide our grades?

I expect every school to be different, but if teachers have a range of evidence that they themselves have set then I presume they will look to use that?
Original post by 04MR17
I would expect similar results to Summer 2020 in terms of overall grades awarded. Which will maintain the inflation from 2019-2020.

The results that teachers put together for last year were done under the assumption that any inconsistencies would be ironed out by an algorithm, which gave some restraint for schools to make the results somewhat inline with their previous result sets.

This time, they're given a freehand (no oversight), thus I would expect a much greater leap in grades.
Original post by Evil Homer
I expect every school to be different, but if teachers have a range of evidence that they themselves have set then I presume they will look to use that?

I sincerely hope so. For private candidates who haven't been to school and sat mock exams, there must be some other way to provide evidence
Original post by EierVonSatan
The results that teachers put together for last year were done under the assumption that any inconsistencies would be ironed out by an algorithm, which gave some restraint for schools to make the results somewhat inline with their previous result sets.

This time, they're given a freehand (no oversight), thus I would expect a much greater leap in grades.

Yes and I think even students with E's may end up with A*.In my school I know a girl who got consistent E's in maths a level and got given a B .Imagine this year?Teachers have favourites and now that they have no restrictions what the grades zoom straight up to a ridiculous level.If 2020 was ridiculous than 2021 is on another scale.They should at least say stay in line with 2020.
Original post by Chelsea2018
Why is there absolutely no standardisation on the grades?Most teachers overpredict and with last year when they had to stick with the 3 year average they still gave 40% A*/A so imagine this year.The grades are definitely going to be worthless.Might as well let everyone with offers to go to the university they have offers from because the grade issue is ridiculous at this point.

Presumably because they got the algorithm wrong last year and the DfE clearly feel trying to do any form of moderation is too much work.

Original post by EierVonSatan

I agree. Last time we (as in my school) were focusing on making our grades accurate as we thought this would avoid the algorithm. I know schools that deliberately downgraded students, assuming the algorithm would boost them up (feels like odd logic but it happened).

This time, there's nothing to disincentivise giving out the highest grades possible, and there's likely to be pressure from some heads not to downgrade students, even if deserved.
Original post by Chelsea2018

Because that was a bad move politically for the government last year.
This time, the government are free to blame teachers for any students unhappy with their grades.
Cue parents at war with schools. :flute:

This response may be slightly opinionated.
Reply 187
That is such a bloomin insensitive thing to say about your own grandmother. Please take a minute to think about what you've posted before arguing your point across again.

As much as I am stressing about this announcement and what will happen to resit applicants like me, it is important to keep things in perspective. Grades do not define anyone's worth, nor are they more important than another person's life. We must all look after ourselves and our self worth is most important, above all. If you are determined to get somewhere in life, exams results and other difficulties along the way will not stop you from achieving your goal.

For one thing, you have taken a single line of my comment out of context.

About 50% of people who turn 80 die within 5 years. They should not be forced to spend that time locked up in their own homes.

I was never talking about grades, I was talking about school closures. People have missed out on education. You are lucky, you can afford a resit. A lot of people can't. As admirable as the idea of 'you can do anything if you put your mind to it' is, you also need resources. They may one day be able to manage, but is it fair for them to take 10 years over something you can do in one?
I sincerely hope so. For private candidates who haven't been to school and sat mock exams, there must be some other way to provide evidence

More guidance is going to be provided regarding private candidates but I presume the so called 'mini-exams' will be a great way for private candidates to provide evidence.
Can someone please summarise how grades will be given out this year?
Original post by 04MR17
Because that was a bad move politically for the government last year.
This time, the government are free to blame teachers for any students unhappy with their grades.
Cue parents at war with schools. :flute:

This response may be slightly opinionated.

Well, this is another reason why grades will be artificially high. The incentive is to give all students the grades they need to move onto the next stage.
Original post by lilymilly20
Hi guys i'm worried about my maths grade i need a B or preferably an A howewver in y2 i have really struggled and have achieved C's in topic tests done however in my mock for Y1 content i got an A and in homewroks i get A's so you think ill get a c? And if i smash upcoming tests can i save my grade? thank you so much

@04MR17
Original post by LilGoat7

Summary: totally decided by individual schools.
Reply 193
Original post by wilshambe
on the BBC article, it said something about "question banks" that would contain previous paper's questions - could be the unused exams from last year?

The questions weren’t unused, they were used for October exams
Original post by LilGoat7

Do you want something more concise than the first post in this thread?

No-one can answer this for you, because it will depend on your teachers/ school.
The only thing that bugs me is that they can't tell us what grade they're giving us. For people like me, applying to medicine, we have to be 100% sure about grades otherwise we have to go sort out a whole lot of other stuff
Reply 197
Original post by Geographer180
Anyone else here currently doing english or history coursework? i have no idea whether i'll be required to complete it or not, just annoyed that my school left it this late to make us do it.

I imagine you will have to complete it, I know people who did in lockdown last year.

From my own experience of Maths, it's very easy to evidence progress compared to other subjects and with enough hard work people can increase their grades substantially in quite a short space of time. You need to spend some time today gathering as many practice questions as you can from the internet, and perhaps from some textbooks, and just get cracking.
Original post by letmeinunis
The only thing that bugs me is that they can't tell us what grade they're giving us. For people like me, applying to medicine, we have to be 100% sure about grades otherwise we have to go sort out a whole lot of other stuff

You know that this happens to students every year, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending