The Student Room Group

Depressed about fuel cars ban

If just diesels got banned I wouldn't be as upset but petrol is so that means every manufacturer has got to make a electric version of their cars which is going to cost them a lot of money and some of them might just not want to bother. Its just upsetting like electric cars are nice but it's just upsetting that in 20 years that will be all you can buy new. I was just upset that what if the government ban cars altogether, ban the sale of all new cars then eventually all the current running cars are going to get scrapped eventually and we won't have a car. Im upset because I am gonna have to grow up in this and its just upsetting. Its going to affect me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
the government would never ban cars altogether
Reply 3
Original post by sy!¡
the government would never ban cars altogether

Hopefully not but a few years ago we probably would have thought they wont ban fuel cars but here we go.
That's a lot of rambling text that doesn't actually say why you're upset.
They’re trying to save the environment bro
Original post by Anonymous
If just diesels got banned I wouldn't be as upset but petrol is so that means every manufacturer has got to make a electric version of their cars which is going to cost them a lot of money and some of them might just not want to bother. Its just upsetting like electric cars are nice but it's just upsetting that in 20 years that will be all you can buy new. I was just upset that what if the government ban cars altogether, ban the sale of all new cars then eventually all the current running cars are going to get scrapped eventually and we won't have a car. Im upset because I am gonna have to grow up in this and its just upsetting. Its going to affect me

Vehicle powertrains have moved into a PR spin rather then a pragmatic solution. My opinion is the ICE has a future but in larger vehicle classes and run on alternative fuels.

It’s certainly possible to run on ICE on renewable fuels with alternative combustion methods.

the move from petrol is inevitable but engines are not, although alternative engines will likely run on slightly more efficient cycles like miller instead of otto and some novel techniques that veer from conventional spark plug controlled ignition .
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
That's a lot of rambling text that doesn't actually say why you're upset.

I'm upset because cars are a big part of my life and I am into them but in the future its just going to get boring with electric cars only and its like my thing that im into has disappeared
Reply 8
Original post by Jessica03
They’re trying to save the environment bro

Electric cars cause a lot of pollution during the manufacturing process
Electric cars cause a lot of pollution during the manufacturing process

Ofc but I’m pretty sure that they are better than the petrol/ diesel alternative
Original post by mnot
Vehicle powertrains have moved into a PR spin rather then a pragmatic solution. My opinion is the ICE has a future but in larger vehicle classes and run on alternative fuels.

It’s certainly possible to run on ICE on renewable fuels with alternative combustion methods.

the move from petrol is inevitable but engines are not, although alternative engines will likely run on slightly more efficient cycles like miller instead of otto and some novel techniques that veer from conventional spark plug controlled ignition .

Hopefully they will do uturn
Ofc but I’m pretty sure that they are better than the petrol/ diesel alternative

The manufacturering process of an electric car gives the pollution of what a petrol or diesel car would do in its lifetime
The manufacturering process of an electric car gives the pollution of what a petrol or diesel car would do in its lifetime

Does it? Why would the government transition then? That doesn’t make sense
Its far more complicated then this, unfortunately the media is full a lot of it is virtue signaling politicians and clueless environmentalists. Especially when you consider the energy density of electrochemical storage required for EVs as well as the supply chain issues with raw material and embedded production emissions, not to mention the end user concerns, lack of grid energy capacity or the recyclability of battery waste and the global warming potential in cooling fluids.

The current proposed solutions are far from clean, but pragmatism in a range of solutions for different classes is yet to be put on the table legislatively.

Does it? Why would the government transition then? That doesn’t make sense

The government dont know. People who know about cars have said this
mate pull yourself together, at least future generations will be able to breathe fresh air for the first time in a few centuries
The government dont know. People who know about cars have said this

At least they are trying I guess! In the future we will have more sustainable electricity, from greener sources, so hopefully that will balance out the manufacturing problem
you've made this thread before :rolleyes:
Yes lithium ion hopes are on the way up and their is lots of optimism for energy & power capabilities but their are certain drivecycle requirements in larger vehicle classifications, the problem with the fast charging is the ultra high c-rate requirements and electrical stresses embedded into the battery which dramatically effect its lifecycle.

If you think a battery in a tesla is suitable for commercial transport you are mistaken (teslas largest battery is only 100kwh). Commercial transport is far harder and less convenient to electrify, very loose rule the more mass and volume of the vehicle the harder electrification would & net worse environmentally for full ev’s in heavyduty.

EVs make sense in A,B & some type C vehicles. Large C & D should be range extender hybrids with light weight engines & alternative fuels, heavy commercial should move to mixed solutions with ICE for highway miles and battery use in localised pollutant range.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by here2helps
mate pull yourself together, at least future generations will be able to breathe fresh air for the first time in a few centuries

It’s possible to remove toxic pollutants such as NOx from engines, the move to EV is more influenced by net GHGs then localized pollutants tbh.

Even this wouldn’t remove the issue, carbon particulates as they come from a wide variety of sources including brakes and lots of non-road transport sources.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending