The Student Room Group

Can decluttering your space help to declutter your mind?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
That sounds great and very organised! Is there anything that keeps you particularly motivated to keep on top of tidying and decluttering? Is it that you know it will have positive effects on mood etc.? :smile:

I wish! It's more the stress of not having the space to put something down or being able to find something. :lol: When I clear up my desk, it's normally whilst I'm huffing under my breath "I CAN'T PUT MY MUG ANYWHERE" and stompily tidying up until I have the space :rofl: but then afterwards it does feel nice to see a clean, tidy space ready to make more mess the next day :tongue:
Yes exactly! Any tips for decluttering at all? :biggrin:

oh haha srry forgot to add tht in :biggrin:
- put a time restriction so ure focused
- listen to music/educational vid/podcast
- play a yt vid of a 'clean/declutter w me' for motivation (i don't do this but some ppl do)
- make sure there's some sort of organisation in ur space area so it's easier to put things away
- have something to look forward to once ure done!
Aww that's great! As long as it doesn't go too far the other way and you end up getting rid of too much :tongue: I'm sure you're being sensible with it :yep: I'm glad it helps and calms you down - I feel the same way when I have a sort out :smile:

Haha absolutely, I gathered so much junk over the years that I could declutter every day and still not get close to getting rid of too much :lol: I like to think that younger hoarder me was just making sure I'd have plenty of calming decluttering to do!
Agh, whenever I'm living with flatmates I'm pretty good at keeping tidy because the fact that other people may see the state that I'm in keeps me accountable. Now I'm living alone and all my stuff is shall we say... 'scattered with intent'. Decluttering in itself is an activity that grounds me though. Still need to remember to do it more often.
I got intensely into decluttering videos in January and I really like the KonMari method. I also like some of the ideas from 'Swedish Death Cleaning' which asks you to consider what would happen if you died and your relatives had to go through all your stuff. I think this can be quite useful with sentimental items as it gets you to consider what matters not just to you but to your wider family - some people have asked questions like 'what will my kids think is a fun story or good sentimental thing to keep' when doing the KonMari method and I think that's a question arising from Swedish Death Cleaning.

I've actually refolded my clothes here at uni in the KonMari way, and when I get back to my parental home I will be decluttering my childhood bedroom piece by piece. I did a sort out over the summer but I know I kept things I don't really care about having anymore. I'm going to be more brutal this time, especially with sentimental items as I know I keep things that don't really speak that much to me just because I think I might miss them, but I probably won't!
Original post by DrawTheLine
I wish! It's more the stress of not having the space to put something down or being able to find something. :lol: When I clear up my desk, it's normally whilst I'm huffing under my breath "I CAN'T PUT MY MUG ANYWHERE" and stompily tidying up until I have the space :rofl: but then afterwards it does feel nice to see a clean, tidy space ready to make more mess the next day :tongue:

Haha! Well needing to put your mug someone is very important! The question is... what's in the mug normally? Tea, coffee... hot chocolate? :colone:
Original post by HS_1
oh haha srry forgot to add tht in :biggrin:
- put a time restriction so ure focused
- listen to music/educational vid/podcast
- play a yt vid of a 'clean/declutter w me' for motivation (i don't do this but some ppl do)
- make sure there's some sort of organisation in ur space area so it's easier to put things away
- have something to look forward to once ure done!

Awesome tips, thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Interea
Haha absolutely, I gathered so much junk over the years that I could declutter every day and still not get close to getting rid of too much :lol: I like to think that younger hoarder me was just making sure I'd have plenty of calming decluttering to do!

Oh yes of course, that's the rationale behind it :mmm:
Original post by northnms
Agh, whenever I'm living with flatmates I'm pretty good at keeping tidy because the fact that other people may see the state that I'm in keeps me accountable. Now I'm living alone and all my stuff is shall we say... 'scattered with intent'. Decluttering in itself is an activity that grounds me though. Still need to remember to do it more often.

Ah yeah it's so true about motivation and being accountable. Maybe when restrictions ease if you can have more people over then that motivation may return? :smile:
Original post by CatusStarbright
I got intensely into decluttering videos in January and I really like the KonMari method. I also like some of the ideas from 'Swedish Death Cleaning' which asks you to consider what would happen if you died and your relatives had to go through all your stuff. I think this can be quite useful with sentimental items as it gets you to consider what matters not just to you but to your wider family - some people have asked questions like 'what will my kids think is a fun story or good sentimental thing to keep' when doing the KonMari method and I think that's a question arising from Swedish Death Cleaning.

I've actually refolded my clothes here at uni in the KonMari way, and when I get back to my parental home I will be decluttering my childhood bedroom piece by piece. I did a sort out over the summer but I know I kept things I don't really care about having anymore. I'm going to be more brutal this time, especially with sentimental items as I know I keep things that don't really speak that much to me just because I think I might miss them, but I probably won't!

Oh yeah, I've heard of that too! I think it's a good way to think of it too. Like the balance between having enough things that you need/like, but if someone had to sort your stuff out then it not being some huge huge task :tongue:

Good luck with the sort out! :biggrin:
Haha! Well needing to put your mug someone is very important! The question is... what's in the mug normally? Tea, coffee... hot chocolate? :colone:

Only the best - PG Tips :tea:
Original post by Joleee
i'm already a minimalist so nothing left to declutter :h: learned how much you hold on to which you don't need the first time i moved overseas.

i don't have any tips except don't buy stuff you don't think you'll use for a few years and you'll never have to declutter!

Ooh well done! Do you find that you get presents that you don't want and sometimes feel like you need to hold onto them out of being polite? I end up doing that and eventually sort things out to donate etc. :tongue:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Only the best - PG Tips :tea:

Hmm.. PG Tips is mid tier to me. God tier = Twinnings and Yorkshire Tea :yep:
Hmm.. PG Tips is mid tier to me. God tier = Twinnings and Yorkshire Tea :yep:

:eyebrow:
It's nearly Spring, so could a spring declutter help your wellbeing?

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with cleaning and decluttering. I love when it's done but hate the process. I find it often makes me feel much happier, lighter, cleaner, and almost like I'm less trapped, if that makes sense? I often start with a lot of enthusiasm but become disheartened as it gets harder. So what are your tips for decluttering?

I've watched and read Marie Kondo's programme and book which has helped me. I loosely follow her steps (e.g. I didn't 'thank' my items) and use the idea of sorting in categories helpful. More info here:

Marie Kondo's main idea of decluttering:

I think the idea of decluttering in categories can really help us to see how much stuff we actually might have, and to help us from buying new things that we don't need e.g. if we had forgotten that we had something - this then also prevents having too many ideas in total.

The last time I decluttered was last Spring when we moved house and also into the summer a bit too. But I think in the next few weeks I'll start another declutter - I don't have loads of stuff but still more than I probably should.

It also makes me feel really good when I can donate things I no longer use to charities. Obviously people can sell the stuff that they don't need, but I don't have many particularly expensive items so I'm happy to donate them.

So what are your decluttering top tips? And do you think decluttering could help your wellbeing?

ugh no way would I be able to declutter anything, im just too lazy for my own good. Also I dont really donate clothes, most clothes that I dont use anymore I just leave them in my wardrobe and they're never seen again.
Ooh well done! Do you find that you get presents that you don't want and sometimes feel like you need to hold onto them out of being polite? I end up doing that and eventually sort things out to donate etc. :tongue:

I do this! I do try and re-gift where possible though, as that saves money too :lol:
I looooove a declutter. I have to be in the mood for it, but I usually am :yep: I feel amazing after!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Decluttering is definitely the way to go. A messy and disorganised room stresses me out a lot. Once I clean and reorganise everything, I feel so much calmer and relaxed.

Decluttering doesn't mean cleaning and organising. A cluttered room can be clean and organised.
Decluttering is just a subjective word for minimising objects that you personally don't want or need.

Tidying-up is what most people do everyday, its not rocket-science, it doesn't need a study program and certificate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by umbrella321
Decluttering doesn't mean cleaning and organising. A cluttered room can be clean and organised.
Decluttering is just a subjective word for minimising objects that you personally don't want or need.

Tidying-up is what most people do everyday, its not rocket-science, it doesn't need a study program and certificate.

Cluttered room = messy and disorganised to me.
This literally reminded me I have my whole bedroom to declutter before school on Monday!
I really need to crack on :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending