The Student Room Group

Met office summer placement

Hello I’ve been offered an interview for the summer placement scheme at the met office and was wondering if anyone had done the same and has an idea what the interviews are like x
Reply 1
Original post by Rubyroo21
Hello I’ve been offered an interview for the summer placement scheme at the met office and was wondering if anyone had done the same and has an idea what the interviews are like x

Congrats on receiving an interview. In the pandemic, this is quite hard to achieve, so you're already doing well.
Whilst I haven't had an interview myself for anything like this, I would just research on what possible interview questions will be like.
Get your application (if you have it saved) read by your parents, and ask them to pick it apart and design questions to ask you.
Treat that as a mock interview.

If you cannot access it, then this site might help. https://www.mockquestions.com/company/Met+Office/

Good luck in the interview.
Reply 2
Thank you so much!! This has helped me beyond words! Hope you have a great day
hiya, if you look on glassdoor people have also reported questions they've been asked in met office interviews! it definitely seems like you should read up on hat the met office does and be able to answer questions about how you'd approach technical/practical issues (depending on whether you've applied for a scientific or business role)i've been offered an interview as well and i'm quite excited, good luck to you!
Reply 4
Thank you so much! I’m super nervous but excited, which placement did you apply for? Good luck also!!
Thank you so much! I’m super nervous but excited, which placement did you apply for? Good luck also!!

Hey! I've got my interview this week. Feeling pretty nervous too, I've applied for the media and campaigns position. What did you go for? Good luck if you haven't had it yet, and if you have, how did it go? :-)
Reply 6
Original post by Bruno2020
Hey! I've got my interview this week. Feeling pretty nervous too, I've applied for the media and campaigns position. What did you go for? Good luck if you haven't had it yet, and if you have, how did it go? :-)

Hello I actually got rejected this morning from my interview last week :frown: not a great day for me but I suppose everything happens for a reason, they were really nice and lovely people who made me not nervous at all, you’ll smash it, good luck!
Hello I actually got rejected this morning from my interview last week :frown: not a great day for me but I suppose everything happens for a reason, they were really nice and lovely people who made me not nervous at all, you’ll smash it, good luck!

Ah no, I'm so sorry to hear. Definitely, it must mean it wasn't right for your life right now and that there is absolutely something better round the corner. Have courage my friend! Really pleased to hear they were lovely, fingers crossed and thank you for the luck. Best of luck in the future too!

I got rejected from mine as well :indiff: it was a super technical interview and I wasn't prepared for nonstop coding questions, also used a lot of very confusing technical language!! Ah well, I do think we've still done well for ourselves by making it to this stage! When I followed up about my application I was told over 850 people applied and I think they were interviewing around 10 for each position so we still beat the odds to an extent! Good things ahead, onwards and upwards eh
Original post by soupdragon15
I got rejected from mine as well :indiff: it was a super technical interview and I wasn't prepared for nonstop coding questions, also used a lot of very confusing technical language!! Ah well, I do think we've still done well for ourselves by making it to this stage! When I followed up about my application I was told over 850 people applied and I think they were interviewing around 10 for each position so we still beat the odds to an extent! Good things ahead, onwards and upwards eh

Sounds like a really difficult interview and very stressful! 850?! You're absolutely right, 850 people is a lot, so that's such great news that we've made it this far and a really positive sign that at least our applications are strong haha. Still waiting to hear back for mine... Best of luck in the future and with your summer plans!
Original post by Bruno2020
Sounds like a really difficult interview and very stressful! 850?! You're absolutely right, 850 people is a lot, so that's such great news that we've made it this far and a really positive sign that at least our applications are strong haha. Still waiting to hear back for mine... Best of luck in the future and with your summer plans!

Did you end up getting an offer?
Or has anybody else got one?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by CyberSec
Did you end up getting an offer?
Or has anybody else got one?

Well done on getting an offer. I’m assuming you got a technical placement as you’re doing a cyber security degree. I also managed to get a placement, but all summer placements seem to have been made virtual/remote this year due to COVID, so we don’t need to worry about things like accommodation... that is unless you’re doing a 12 month placement?
Original post by Khurr4m
Well done on getting an offer. I’m assuming you got a technical placement as you’re doing a cyber security degree. I also managed to get a placement, but all summer placements seem to have been made virtual/remote this year due to COVID, so we don’t need to worry about things like accommodation... that is unless you’re doing a 12 month placement?

Niceee. Well done to you too
And Yh a 12 month placement so need to find a place. Which one did you get
Reply 13
Original post by CyberSec
Niceee. Well done to you too
And Yh a 12 month placement so need to find a place. Which one did you get

Well done on getting the 12 month one! I decided to go for the Edinburgh one - observations and quality management role. Which role did you pick? Also, I think they are planning on arranging a visit to Exeter at least once for summer placement interns - subject to Covid. Maybe we’ll get the chance to see the other interns then. :smile:
With regards to finding accommodation, you should probably start looking now - perhaps think of shared accommodation, or try contacting previous interns who went to Exeter. There may be some useful websites out there to help you find something.
Original post by Khurr4m
Well done on getting the 12 month one! I decided to go for the Edinburgh one - observations and quality management role. Which role did you pick? Also, I think they are planning on arranging a visit to Exeter at least once for summer placement interns - subject to Covid. Maybe we’ll get the chance to see the other interns then. :smile:
With regards to finding accommodation, you should probably start looking now - perhaps think of shared accommodation, or try contacting previous interns who went to Exeter. There may be some useful websites out there to help you find something.

I bet it must have been competitive af so I wasn't really expecting to get it tbh. We did well to secure places lol
And Edinburgh is a pretty good location although idk much about the role you applied to. I went for the technical, so I'm going to be in IT Operations with a chance to rotate around other IT depts.
And I've asked them if they can set up some kind of a meeting with other interns so we can discuss accomm, and they said it'd be done soon.
Just hoping I can get something at a decent price
Reply 15
Original post by Adz2042
Congrats on receiving an interview. In the pandemic, this is quite hard to achieve, so you're already doing well.
Whilst I haven't had an interview myself for anything like this, I would just research on what possible interview questions will be like.
Get your application (if you have it saved) read by your parents, and ask them to pick it apart and design questions to ask you.
Treat that as a mock interview.

If you cannot access it, then this site might help. https://www.mockquestions.com/company/Met+Office/

Good luck in the interview.

Great source! Even though I'm a bit late I wanted to let you know that this definitely helped me in terms of interview question preparation. Another source that I found useful that is totally free is https://www.megainterview.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending