The Student Room Group

Period pain. Could it be endometriosis?

Hey guys. This is a bit random but I'm not sure where else to ask...
I've had stomach aches for as long as I remember, some periods aren't too bad but some are, and the pain in each period is starting to become regularly worse. I've been to the doctors countless times, being told its appendicitis, IBS and just normal periods and that I'll grow out of it. I've recently been put on the pill which has been helping due to it basically getting rid of my periods although I have had 2 irregular periods that lasted for 3 weeks each and the pain was excrutiating. I've just spoken to the gp today and she was very reluctant to send me for a scan so has given me naproxen for when I need it. I want her to address the underlying cause as I'm worried that the pain is not normal as when I have it I am unable to function. I feel sick, weak, have stabbing pains in my bottom and of course the stomach and back pains - these seem to be endo symptoms yet they don't want to check? Has anyone else had this problem and is it sorted yet and it's honestly so draining, I'm only 17 and this has been going on since I was 13 and I haven't got anywhere? Thanks in advance xx
These sound like pretty normal things to have during a period. Everyone has different symptoms and at different levels. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I get pack pains and pains in my butt every period, but they fluctuate in intensity and duration. I'm pretty sure you're all good. Take a beep breath, you're fine.
Reply 2
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
These sound like pretty normal things to have during a period. Everyone has different symptoms and at different levels. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I get pack pains and pains in my butt every period, but they fluctuate in intensity and duration. I'm pretty sure you're all good. Take a beep breath, you're fine.

I get that but when it's bad I literally can't move. It happened while I was on holiday and I spent 2 days stuck in a caravan as every time I stood up I felt faint. I'm not sure though, I'll try this new medication but I feel like tbe doctors just don't care enough to get me properly checked out.
Original post by Anonymous
I get that but when it's bad I literally can't move. It happened while I was on holiday and I spent 2 days stuck in a caravan as every time I stood up I felt faint. I'm not sure though, I'll try this new medication but I feel like tbe doctors just don't care enough to get me properly checked out.

Is this only during your period or all the time?
Reply 4
Is this only during your period or all the time?

I get sharp pains that are bearable randomly throughout the cycle but the weakness and really paid pains during my period. Im planning on doing nursing next year and can't imagine how its gonna work if im on a period.
I get sharp pains that are bearable randomly throughout the cycle but the weakness and really paid pains during my period. Im planning on doing nursing next year and can't imagine how its gonna work if im on a period.

I'm not a doctor, but I think it's safe to say that it's not endometriosis. This is constant, not just on your period.
I would do some research into things that help with severe period pains. I looked up naproxen and it has 'black box' warnings, which are the worst ones. It also has a really long list of side effects. I'd do some research into both the drug and other solutions before you decide what you want to start putting into your body.
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is something that does actually exists and sounds more likely what you may have than basic PMS - it's similar but a lot more severe, I would recommend you research the symptoms and criteria, as PMS is an inconvenience whereas PMDD is much more severe. It causes dysfunctioning physically and psychologically and due to its chronic nature classifies as a disability. Therefore, if you think it may be that then please do push to have something done about it because I've been there and its really a really damaging disorder. As far as I know it's cause by an imbalance in hormones and how they function, particularly reproductive hormones such as progesterone. Hope this helps :smile:
It sounds like it could potentially be endometriosis, I have similar symptoms and am also having real difficulty getting the doctors to send me for an ultrasound. Unfortunately there is so much still not known and understood about hormonal conditions which is why the average endo diagnosis is around 8 years or something ridiculous :frown:(
Really feel for you as I know how difficult it is constantly, and you’re more than welcome to pm me on here if you want a chat xx
Also, reading this thread is crazy - I can relate to every thing you've spoken about at exactly that level of severity. When the pain gets that bad, I take paracetamol followed by ibuprofen with a two hour gap to create like a numbing. Sometimes it's really really bad though and when that's the case I take co codamol and do as little work as possible as it is so draining. Every day I take four pills - a prescription for the pill (progesterone), and extra iron, vitamin b12 and magnesium. Done this for the past four months now and it's completely changed everything, I still get a few off days but overall its nothing like it was before, please dm me if you need anything else because just from this post I can literally feel the pain and i wouldn't want that for anyone as I know what it's like
Original post by cait1606
It sounds like it could potentially be endometriosis, I haave similar symptoms and am also having real difficulty getting the doctors to send me for an ultrasound. Unfortunately there is so much still not known and understood about hormonal conditions which is why the average endo diagnosis is around 8 years or something ridiculous :frown:(
Really feel for you as I know how difficult it is constantly, and you’re more than welcome to pm me on here if you want a chat xx

Once again, I would suggest researching PMDD, I had severe pain that would have been the equivalent to Endo hence it is so difficult to diagnose but it's definitely worth it just to do some research. Sometimes paracetamol and ibuprofen isn't enough and I have to take cocodamol for my cramps but since getting a proper diagnosis and prescription I've had so much relief from what it was before
Original post by ABrightonRose
Once again, I would suggest researching PMDD, I had severe pain that would have been the equivalent to Endo hence it is so difficult to diagnose but it's definitely worth it just to do some research. Sometimes paracetamol and ibuprofen isn't enough and I have to take cocodamol for my cramps but since getting a proper diagnosis and prescription I've had so much relief from what it was before

Thank you, I’ve looked into this a bit before but after talking to people around me they seemed to think my symptoms were more like endo but I will definitely have another look into PMDD.
Over-the-counter painkillers have never worked for me unfortunately but have had codeine prescriptions for another condition and that seemed to unintentionally help with the cramps at times so maybe will push the GP for co-codamol or something similar and see if it helps. Thanks for your advice xx
Hey guys. This is a bit random but I'm not sure where else to ask...
I've had stomach aches for as long as I remember, some periods aren't too bad but some are, and the pain in each period is starting to become regularly worse. I've been to the doctors countless times, being told its appendicitis, IBS and just normal periods and that I'll grow out of it. I've recently been put on the pill which has been helping due to it basically getting rid of my periods although I have had 2 irregular periods that lasted for 3 weeks each and the pain was excrutiating. I've just spoken to the gp today and she was very reluctant to send me for a scan so has given me naproxen for when I need it. I want her to address the underlying cause as I'm worried that the pain is not normal as when I have it I am unable to function. I feel sick, weak, have stabbing pains in my bottom and of course the stomach and back pains - these seem to be endo symptoms yet they don't want to check? Has anyone else had this problem and is it sorted yet and it's honestly so draining, I'm only 17 and this has been going on since I was 13 and I haven't got anywhere? Thanks in advance xx

sorry to hear you are having a hardtime!
I haven't experienced problems like yours but even if diagnosed endometriosis has no cure and is difficult to treat.
Hormone treatments like the pill are used to help control endometriosis if that is any comfort to you. Also, in the first few months of the pill, irregular bleeding does happen, but should get better once you have been on it for a while (~6months+)

It might be worth talking to your GP about trying some other hormone treatments, like the implant?
The other main options available to you would be surgery, and even these aren't permanent solutions
Original post by ABrightonRose
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is something that does actually exists and sounds more likely what you may have than basic PMS - it's similar but a lot more severe, I would recommend you research the symptoms and criteria, as PMS is an inconvenience whereas PMDD is much more severe. It causes dysfunctioning physically and psychologically and due to its chronic nature classifies as a disability. Therefore, if you think it may be that then please do push to have something done about it because I've been there and its really a really damaging disorder. As far as I know it's cause by an imbalance in hormones and how they function, particularly reproductive hormones such as progesterone. Hope this helps :smile:

Yeah it could be this. I think the symptoms cross over so its hard to know for sure. In an ideal world I'd have an ultrasound and everything to check for endo and then i guess they could rule that out but they cant do that. Ill try this new medication to see if its any good though thanks
Original post by clareeey
sorry to hear you are having a hardtime!
I haven't experienced problems like yours but even if diagnosed endometriosis has no cure and is difficult to treat.
Hormone treatments like the pill are used to help control endometriosis if that is any comfort to you. Also, in the first few months of the pill, irregular bleeding does happen, but should get better once you have been on it for a while (~6months+)

It might be worth talking to your GP about trying some other hormone treatments, like the implant?
The other main options available to you would be surgery, and even these aren't permanent solutions

I've had the pill since last August so I think its settled in now but still having irregular periods. I dont get the periods much but when i do get them they last a long time and its awful. My doctor mentioned getting an implant or the coil (not sure exactly what she said) but I'm slightly reluctant as Ive heard stories about doctors then refusing to remove them when it doesnt work. Im sure this isnt the case for all doctors but its scary😂 I think I'd just like to know if there is something wrong ie hormones or endo or whatever but they just seem to not do much for me. Is there some kind of blood test they can do to test for hormones do you know??
Yeah it could be this. I think the symptoms cross over so its hard to know for sure. In an ideal world I'd have an ultrasound and everything to check for endo and then i guess they could rule that out but they cant do that. Ill try this new medication to see if its any good though thanks

The only way to conclusively test for endometriosis is via laparoscopy.

Speak to your GP, but be aware things like endo (if it is that) often take ages to get tested properly for because of GPs often being fairly ignorant about it.

https://endometriosis-uk.org/endometriosis-symptoms < these are the symptoms.
https://endometriosis-uk.org/getting-diagnosed-endometriosis < diagnosis.

There are a variety of other things that can cause similar issues though, so yeah.
I'm not a doctor, but I think it's safe to say that it's not endometriosis. This is constant, not just on your period.
I would do some research into things that help with severe period pains. I looked up naproxen and it has 'black box' warnings, which are the worst ones. It also has a really long list of side effects. I'd do some research into both the drug and other solutions before you decide what you want to start putting into your body.

Naproxen is very similar to ibuprofen, just stronger, and even paracetamol has a long list of side-effects and contraindication if you look it up...

I agree that OP's symptoms don'ts really sound like endometriosis though, just normal period pain. If the pill is helping, that's great and even if is endo that you have, hormonal contraception is used to treat it.

Quick Reply

Latest