The Student Room Group

Doctor - hate my job

As in the title doctor on f4 worked in A&E during the pandemic. Want to do surgical training but heard current trainees struggling passing arcp. Am exhausted overworked and burnt out on my year out. Will take another year out to reapply but keen not to do clinical work. How will I get references for my application if I get a training number. My current work place are not nice and reluctant to give a reference as I do many antisocial hours, Part of what the management were offering me when I accepted the job.

Am so stressed that I am thinking about giving up and quitting.

P.s. I love being an actual doctor and treating my patients which is hugely rewarding. It’s the politics jumping through hoops management and being burnt out that’s making me what to quit and also the chance of not getting references for training application.
Look for a clinical fellow type post with education etc? Or consider locuming and doing a masters? If you can, work less than full time.
If you have the savings might be an opportunity to take some time away from clinical medicine. Maybe 3-6 months of not working or just occasional locum shifts in a dept you've enjoyed working in previously? Identifying burnout and exhaustion is a big step but often need to take yourself out of the environment that's caused it
It sounds like your grievance is with the current department rather than medicine. Some time away sounds like a good idea.

I'd be really surprised if references will be the thing stopping you getting a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending